A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: A Bunch of Fives (New Challenge Thread)

Post by Heston »

WWK

Duran Duran, “Invisible”
I've tried to give it a chance but no. You know I'm an ex-Duranie but this pales next to anything from their first couple of albums. It's been on the radio a few times over here but it just hasn't grabbed me. 5/10

Tirzah, “Send Me”
Not really my cup of tea, too laid back. 5/10

Jade Bird, “Open up the Heavens”
I like this much better. Solid beat and guitars, and excellent vocal. 7/10

Genesis Owusu, “Gold Chains”
A bit too synthetic sounding for my tastes. Maybe a band playing it would move me more? It is a bit Blur-ish to me on the choruses and it's generally pretty good though. 6.5/10

Cloud Nothings, “The Spirit Of”
A bit raw and atonal for me, I actually might be a Soft Rock Pussy. 5/10
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Heston wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 7:58pm
WWK

Duran Duran, “Invisible”
I've tried to give it a chance but no. You know I'm an ex-Duranie but this pales next to anything from their first couple of albums. It's been on the radio a few times over here but it just hasn't grabbed me. 5/10

Tirzah, “Send Me”
Not really my cup of tea, too laid back. 5/10

Jade Bird, “Open up the Heavens”
I like this much better. Solid beat and guitars, and excellent vocal. 7/10

Genesis Owusu, “Gold Chains”
A bit too synthetic sounding for my tastes. Maybe a band playing it would move me more? It is a bit Blur-ish to me on the choruses and it's generally pretty good though. 6.5/10

Cloud Nothings, “The Spirit Of”
A bit raw and atonal for me, I actually might be a Soft Rock Pussy. 5/10
Inder, make it so...

Heston

Post by Heston »

MATEY

Softee, “Oh No.”
I like the squelchy synth straight away, reminds me of Louise by the Human League. Lovely vocal melody and harmonies, digging this big time straight away. Knocked a point off because I think it could have used a slightly shorter arrangement. 8/10

KennyHoopla, “How Will I Rest in Peace if I’m Buried by a Highway?”
Vocals too hysterical for me, they sound over-emoted. Tune is serviceable. 6/10

Sheer Mag, “Nobody’s Baby.”
I literally had to pause it after the intro and burst out laughing because it sounds so much like early KISS. The song is pretty good but I think the vocals sound a bit too distant, maybe too much echo or too low in the mix. 7/10

Camp Cope, “The Opener.”
Started ok with some interesting dynamics in the groove but the song never really grabbed me in the end. 6/10

Blood Orange, “You’re Not Good Enough.”
I wasn't too impressed when it started but I persevered and it had me hooked by the end. Total Talking Heads groove on the verses which is fine by me. It's like Prince gave Sheena Easton a good song rather than U Got the Look. This and the first song added to my current playlist. 8/10
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 3:13pm
Crumb—Locket: Great modern psych feel especially at the start which grabbed me nicely. Then it goes off on another tangent an odd pop vibe but none the less cool. Not a fan of the video but I really enjoyed this track. 8/10

The Internet—Get Away: Heavy beat, and some nice vocals. This song may be a little too synthetic sounding and I would've preferred a bit more organic thing. But that said I like it. 7/10

Glasser—Mirrorage: Heavy repetition which as Cory states builds up very strong and just grabs you. 7/10

Pylon—Dub: Not long bought the box set and love it so I'm biased. 9/10

Sorry—Things to Hold Onto: Interesting stuff for sure, would like to see how well it holds up over an album's worth of material. I'm intrigued. 7/10

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
17 Jun 2021, 7:18pm
MATEY

Sheer Mag, “Nobody’s Baby.”
I literally had to pause it after the intro and burst out laughing because it sounds so much like early KISS.
:angry: ... :cool:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
Cousin Oliver, you're up tomorrow. Stick it to that bag, Marcia.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 1:06pm
oliver wrote:
Not entirely sure what that means, but I'll take it.

Smiley Culture - Police Officer
This was the first song I bought with my own money. Previously, I'd nagged my parents to buy me the odd single but this was the first one I chose and paid for myself with my own pocket money. After hearing it I would no longer buy comics, chocolates and fizzy drinks but 7" singles and either Smash Hits or No.1.

Amiri Baraka - Who Will Survive America?
I was in my first job and listening to either white-people-with-guitars or rap music. One of my colleagues loved stuff like Billy Paul and Ray Barretto, played this for me and my tiny mind was opened. TBH, I'd somewhat forgotten about it until I heard it again in "Them" and I remembered how much I liked it.

Folk Implosion - Natural One
Something I never tire of hearing

Blaze Foley - Clay Pigeons
I love the sentiment in this song... like he knows he's going to be shot down (the clay pigeon) but he keeps going anyway.

Tony Butler - Here Comes the First One
I'd always assumed that Stuart Adamson and Bruce Watson were the creative force behind Big Country but after hearing Tony Butlers solo album I had to reassess. TBH, I think this one takes a little too long to get going but it's worth it
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

oliver wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 10:30am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 1:06pm
oliver wrote:
Not entirely sure what that means, but I'll take it.

*Smiley Culture - Police Officer
Love Smiley had this on 12" and would play it often back when I DJ'd. Biased. 9/10

*Should add Smiley died in very SUSpect circumstances. With the police/authorities claiming he stabbed himself in the heart while under investigation for importing drugs. Ruts DC have a great track about this incident and the ignorance and prejudice and how all these years later nothing has changed.

Amiri Baraka - Who Will Survive America?
Haven't heard this in a long while but glad to hear it again. Great vibe and sentiment. 8/10

Folk Implosion - Natural One
Didn't know what to expect from this bands name. But dig it a lot. Cool sound. 8/10

Blaze Foley - Clay Pigeons
The sentiment is good here. Not sure if I would listen to this over and over but I did enjoy it. 7/10

Tony Butler - Here Comes the First One
Well this has that "Big" sound all over it. Doesn't surprise me how good it is as both Tony and Mark from Big Country had been session men and worked with Simon Townshend (Pete's brother) and were very solid musicians. Like this a fair bit. 8/10
Last edited by Marky Dread on 22 Jun 2021, 3:58am, edited 2 times in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Smiley Culture, “Police Officer.”
I really want to like this, given the subject matter and the appeal of his voice, but I keep waiting for *something* to happen, but it never leaves the seeming holding pattern.

Amiri Baraka, “Who Will Survive America?”
A groovy bit of street evangelizing, both damning and hopeful. Bad times ahead for the crackers, tho … unless they can find a great orange champion with tiny fingers.

Folk Implosion, “Natural One.”
This just oozes cool. Love the blasts of punctuating guitar. And I dig how high in the mix the drums are, that snare just snapping at you. Excellent stuff to just sit and bob your head to.

Blaze Foley, “Clay Pigeons.”
It’s the kind of thing that is easy to mock because it hits all the beats of the common-man-country-folk sound. But it’s direct and no nonsense and deserves an amen.

Tony Butler, “Here Comes the First One.”
Not sure I’d immediately think Big Country, but knowing he was in the band I can hear the connection—that chuggada-chuggada thing. The music ain’t really my thing, tho I can hardly dismiss a pacifist song.

BTW, the Cousin Oliver / Marcia line was a reference to the Brady Bunch. I know you’re a Limey ex-pat, but I’d assumed living in the US you’d have imbibed them by now!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 8:22pm
BTW, the Cousin Oliver / Marcia line was a reference to the Brady Bunch. I know you’re a Limey ex-pat, but I’d assumed living in the US you’d have imbibed them by now!
Not yet... I must be too busy keeping my defences up to make sure Toby Keith, monster trucks and guns don't seep in.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 1:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Not yet... I must be too busy keeping my defences up to make sure Toby Keith, monster trucks and guns don't seep in.
:lol: Weighing it all, you've made the right choice.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 1:56pm
oliver wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

I'd go to a (as in one) monster truck show. I've heard they're a spectacle of noise. I'd like to experience one. Although I'm in North Carolina, I haven't been to a NASCAR event I was going to see one at Charlotte - where crowds have been over 175,000 although declining recently - but COVID, well, you know... I still want to see a race just to see what the fuss is about. I had a former athlete from Greensboro, NC once tell me "Coach, you ain't missing nothing. It's just one long left turn."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 2:47pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 1:56pm
oliver wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

I'd go to a (as in one) monster truck show. I've heard they're a spectacle of noise. I'd like to experience one. Although I'm in North Carolina, I haven't been to a NASCAR event I was going to see one at Charlotte - where crowds have been over 175,000 although declining recently - but COVID, well, you know... I still want to see a race just to see what the fuss is about. I had a former athlete from Greensboro, NC once tell me "Coach, you ain't missing nothing. It's just one long left turn."
Carlin once said re. auto racing, driving 500 miles in a circle was unimpressive. He wanted crashes because, short of being in one, when is someone going to see a 12-car pile up?

Heston

Post by Heston »

I grew up watching the Brady Bunch, and can I fuck remember anything about it apart from the zoom meeting at the beginning.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 7:44pm
I grew up watching the Brady Bunch, and can I fuck remember anything about it apart from the zoom meeting at the beginning.
Ha! Wonderful interpretation of the jail opening.