I need a good boffin.

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: I need a good boffin.

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Over the weekend, I was given a cd by a woman whose deceased brother was in a band that put out this album. The cd also contains stuff that is only readable on Win95, 98, and NT. She's never been able to see any of that and I was hoping to rip it for her, but when I pop it in my Mac, all that shows up are the audio files (I expected to also find some exe files or something like that). Any thoughts about what might reveal the non-audio stuff?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 10:01am
Over the weekend, I was given a cd by a woman whose deceased brother was in a band that put out this album. The cd also contains stuff that is only readable on Win95, 98, and NT. She's never been able to see any of that and I was hoping to rip it for her, but when I pop it in my Mac, all that shows up are the audio files (I expected to also find some exe files or something like that). Any thoughts about what might reveal the non-audio stuff?
Check your preferences in Finder or whatever your file explorer thing is called. I haven't worked on a Mac in 10 years and I like it that way.

I dont suppose you can boot your MAC off a linux boot usb drive which should allow you to see the whole disk.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 10:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Check your preferences in Finder or whatever your file explorer thing is called. I haven't worked on a Mac in 10 years and I like it that way.
Nope, nuthin' that I can see.
I dont suppose you can boot your MAC off a linux boot usb drive which should allow you to see the whole disk.
That's getting to be far more work than I want to undertake. I was hoping there'd be a freeware app that would reveal shit.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 11:23am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
That's getting to be far more work than I want to undertake. I was hoping there'd be a freeware app that would reveal shit.
This is why I hate Macs.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Do you know anyone with a PC who would read the disk?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 11:39am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 11:23am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
This is why I hate Macs.
It wouldn't be a problem if the disc wasn't encoded for just one platform. Can't blame Reichsfuhrer Jobs for that.

I do know someone who is a Windows only person—yet also doggedly a Word Perfect person, too(!)—but the problem is retrieving the files from them after that. They're wholly computer illiterate.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

If you could make a disc image and upload it somewhere, I'd be happy to try to mount it and see if I can find anything.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Any use doc?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 12:03pm
If you could make a disc image and upload it somewhere, I'd be happy to try to mount it and see if I can find anything.
Okay, cool. I've got one more thing I want to try, else I'll abuse your kindness.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Boffin-ish question. I've got an old iPod with a shit battery. I can pick up a new battery fairly cheaply, but the connections need to be soldered (three small wires onto a circuit board). I don't have a soldering iron, nor am I inclined to buy one just for this. So my question to those in the know is whether electrically conductive glue would do the trick for something like this?

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 2:27pm
Boffin-ish question. I've got an old iPod with a shit battery. I can pick up a new battery fairly cheaply, but the connections need to be soldered (three small wires onto a circuit board). I don't have a soldering iron, nor am I inclined to buy one just for this. So my question to those in the know is whether electrically conductive glue would do the trick for something like this?
I haven't tried it in years, but I recall using some as kid, can't recall what brand it was, but it worked. think the hardest part would be applying the glue sparingly, perhaps a toothpick would work?
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 4:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I haven't tried it in years, but I recall using some as kid, can't recall what brand it was, but it worked. think the hardest part would be applying the glue sparingly, perhaps a toothpick would work?
Alrighty, thanks. I tried googling this stuff and got a whole mess of contrary answers.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah never used it, a soldering iron is pretty cheap and have had one since I was a kid. There whiteout type pens that dispense conductive material too but you'd still have to attach the wires. Get a good magnifying glass and a few whiskeys to settle your nerves before you start.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 5:10pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yeah never used it, a soldering iron is pretty cheap and have had one since I was a kid. There whiteout type pens that dispense conductive material too but you'd still have to attach the wires. Get a good magnifying glass and a few whiskeys to settle your nerves before you start.
Did a little pricing and a basic soldering kit isn't that much more than the glue I've found. Maybe that is the safer option, tho I've never soldered before, either. Don't imagine it's that difficult, tho.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 5:20pm
revbob wrote:
27 Jul 2021, 5:10pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Did a little pricing and a basic soldering kit isn't that much more than the glue I've found. Maybe that is the safer option, tho I've never soldered before, either. Don't imagine it's that difficult, tho.
Man, this conversation reminds me of building kits as a kid. I was soldering when I was 6 years old – late 70s. My dad was the manager of our local Heathkit electronics store and he’d give me 5 bucks to sit in the front window of the store building kits – radios mostly but there were a few other items too. The old-timers would come into the store and see a little kid soldering. It would give them confidence and they’d leave with all kinds of stuff.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.