The Future of the Republican Party

Politics and other such topical creams.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 6:44pm
Turns out the "expert mathematician" OAN spotlighted claiming he could "prove" election fraud is a convicted felon who sets up swing sets for a living. Might be a smidge more qualified than a pillow salesman I suppose.
I'm tellin' ya folks, I can't make this shit up!

https://www.businessinsider.com/dominio ... ets-2021-8
Less committed fascists than con artists who are only marginally smarter than their marks. I've suggested this before, that during the Reagan years those in charge knew that they were selling snake oil, but now the people in charge are the ones who bought it. Apart from guys like McConnell, it's morons all the way down.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sarah Silverman on Rudy's Cameo grovel:
“Can you really put a price on a future convicted felon accidentally farting on camera for your niece’s quinceanera?” Silverman asked. “You can: It’s $275! That’s right, for the price of parking at Disneyland, you can get a message from the vampire who held a press conference next to a dildo store.”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sarah-si ... 4ed70a17eb
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 12:09pm
“Can you really put a price on a future convicted felon accidentally farting on camera for your niece’s quinceanera?” Silverman asked. “You can: It’s $275! That’s right, for the price of parking at Disneyland, you can get a message from the vampire who held a press conference next to a dildo store.”
Comedic gold right there!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 1:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I love that woman.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 2:48pm
Sparky wrote:
12 Aug 2021, 1:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I love that woman.
One of my top comedians for “I really shouldn't laugh at this” humour.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"We didn't see voting machines," said Robert Graham, a packet capture expert with more than 25 years of experience who was at the event, told Salon. As for the mock voting machines on display, Graham noted, "they weren't real."

When asked why no voting machines were present here after months of promises, Lindell wished this reporter, "Goodbye Zach. I am praying you get saved."
https://www.salon.com/2021/08/14/mike-l ... -have-any/

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2021, 7:09am
"We didn't see voting machines," said Robert Graham, a packet capture expert with more than 25 years of experience who was at the event, told Salon. As for the mock voting machines on display, Graham noted, "they weren't real."

When asked why no voting machines were present here after months of promises, Lindell wished this reporter, "Goodbye Zach. I am praying you get saved."
So what you're saying is Mr. Pillow has zippo? Imagine that, he's been bluffing all along. Who'd have thunk it? :mrgreen:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
14 Aug 2021, 8:41am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

So what you're saying is Mr. Pillow has zippo? Imagine that, he's been bluffing all along. Who'd have thunk it? :mrgreen:
The curiosity is always how much these guys get sucked into their own bullshit. Does living in the echo chamber of disinformation eventually addle the brains of the bullshitters and they truly believe it?

There's the story of how brainwashing came to be this great fear in 1950s America. It began when a few dozen American POWs during the Korean War seemingly became ardent Communists, and a journalist named Edward Hunter wrote several newspaper pieces and a couple books on this devious new type of interrogation called brainwashing, completely rewriting a person's beliefs. The Communists would take over the world thru brainwashing! The CIA sounded the alarm and began developing its own brainwashing program (among others, MK Ultra) and continued gathering intel on how the Communists were so far ahead.

Now here's the rub: it was all bullshit. Hunter was a CIA operative who cooked it all up to keep the public's fear of Communism (the Korean War was an unpopular war at home) and keep the CIA's budget fat. The POWs were acting out of self-interest, seemingly turning Communist to gain preferential treatment, and were happy to feign being brainwashed to avoid being condemned once back in the US. But the CIA got caught up in its own propaganda of a massive Communist brainwashing conspiracy that the US had to counter. Sure, the Communists were also researching interrogation techniques, but it was hardly brainwashing. But the CIA effectively brainwashed themselves even as they were selling the idea to the public. It's a neat story about how cynical manipulation can eventually suck up the manipulator and the process achieves a momentum of its own.

So while right-wing media may have cynically promoted a rigged election and sinister vaccines and fake viruses and everything else, it's another thing to conclude that there is someone behind the curtain who knows it's nonsense. Doubtless there are a few, but it's more probable to me that most of these nuts truly do believe all this craziness, each dumb idea working to confirm all the other dumb ideas.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I had to laugh at their hi-tech setup on that table.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 Aug 2021, 10:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I had to laugh at their hi-tech setup on that table.
And yet you can be sure it convinced 99+% of those who believed the claim beforehand.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... trump.html

All of this makes sense in explaining (at least in part) Trump's appeal to them. Pessimistic, backward looking, self-perceived victims—Trump worked that angle so damned well. The curiosity about "make America great again" is that I've never sensed any of his followers really believe it. By which I mean they don't present themselves as optimistic. Scared and angry, sure, but that isn't the profile of people who think they're on the winning side of history. At best, they see a future victory as vengeance in some way.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2021, 6:41pm

All of this makes sense in explaining (at least in part) Trump's appeal to them. Pessimistic, backward looking, self-perceived victims—Trump worked that angle so damned well. The curiosity about "make America great again" is that I've never sensed any of his followers really believe it. By which I mean they don't present themselves as optimistic. Scared and angry, sure, but that isn't the profile of people who think they're on the winning side of history. At best, they see a future victory as vengeance in some way.
I've been through some pretty shitty stretches of this country and the Trump flags are still proudly flying. Poor, rural, dying communities. I feel like Trump supporters look at our cities as dead end streets without a future, but my perception is that there is more of that in rural America. I'm a city guy, so I'm biased, but there is a lot of positivity in our urban areas: people and communities invested in moving forward. They feel alive. So yeah, I agree with your "pessimistic, backward looking, self-perceived victims" idea. We're here because of someone else and while we wish it was the good ole' days, those days are gone - taken from us.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
15 Aug 2021, 1:13pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Aug 2021, 6:41pm

I've been through some pretty shitty stretches of this country and the Trump flags are still proudly flying. Poor, rural, dying communities. I feel like Trump supporters look at our cities as dead end streets without a future, but my perception is that there is more of that in rural America. I'm a city guy, so I'm biased, but there is a lot of positivity in our urban areas: people and communities invested in moving forward. They feel alive. So yeah, I agree with your "pessimistic, backward looking, self-perceived victims" idea. We're here because of someone else and while we wish it was the good ole' days, those days are gone - taken from us.
Talk about fighting history. The movement since the republic's founding has been from rural to urban (depending on how you regard post-war suburbanization). The 1920 census was the first to declare that America was more urban than rural. The nation hasn't had a predominantly rural character since the Civil War. Whatever sympathy I might have—my paternal grandfather was a farmer, as were several uncles and a brother-in-law—these people aren't fighting against libruls and commies, but a much grander historical trend begun in the 18th century.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

It would sure be a shame if this Texas abortion snitch line was inundated with junk data and insults.

https://prolifewhistleblower.com/