The IMCT observations thread

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: The IMCT observations thread

Post by Sparky »

Kory wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 12:35pm
matedog wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 11:51am
Ugh, all of our "IMCT is 10" threads are now 9 years old :meh:
It's almost time for our 20 year reunion! I'll bring my wife and prove to everyone that I didn't remain a loser.
:lol: I can relate, haven't gone to a single one of mine, I'd prefer to allow them to think I'm total loser!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 1:38pm
Kory wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 12:35pm
matedog wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 11:51am
Ugh, all of our "IMCT is 10" threads are now 9 years old :meh:
It's almost time for our 20 year reunion! I'll bring my wife and prove to everyone that I didn't remain a loser.
:lol: I can relate, haven't gone to a single one of mine, I'd prefer to allow them to think I'm total loser!
As far as I know, there's only been one reunion, which, duh, zero interest. Kinda curious that there's been only one, given that next year is 35 years. More likely, organizers are filtering who gets contacted.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

My twenty year is this year. Haven't heard if they are doing one and probably would have by now. I live too far away and am too tied down to make it. I had fun at my 10 year though.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Like Ive mentioned here to some degree Ive had almost no contact from high school people other than family until very recently. if those two guys I saw are any indication Im not much interested in really seeing others, was a bit of an ego boost for me but luckily I don't need it that badly.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 2:22pm
Like Ive mentioned here to some degree Ive had almost no contact from high school people other than family until very recently. if those two guys I saw are any indication Im not much interested in really seeing others, was a bit of an ego boost for me but luckily I don't need it that badly.
I think the last time I communicated with someone from high school was about seven or eight years ago, when one of my better friends emailed me out of the blue. He came from a poor and broken home, went out to the oil fields in Alberta, and became a millionaire by starting some businesses associated with the oil industry. He'd just sold his businesses and basically retired. I think he mostly wanted to let me know that he'd made it. Whatever the ethics of the oil biz, I was genuinely happy for his success given his background, plus he'd always been a hard worker and very responsible (he was the eldest of four, and became a de facto dad to his younger sisters). But he always wanted to let me know that a fishing trip he went on with my dad and I when we were around 14 meant the world to him, given his life at the time. One of those things that I endured at the time—my dad and I weren't close—but in retrospect now I'm glad I was able to given him that happy weekend. I could tell he was conservative as fuck, but whatever, he defied a lot of odds.

edit: Ha! I just checked out his linked.in page and it has predictable hate for the Liberals and contempt for vaccines and masks. Oh, Alberta, you are a stereotype …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 3:12pm
revbob wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 2:22pm
I think the last time I communicated with someone from high school was about seven or eight years ago, when one of my better friends emailed me out of the blue. He came from a poor and broken home, went out to the oil fields in Alberta, and became a millionaire by starting some businesses associated with the oil industry. He'd just sold his businesses and basically retired. I think he mostly wanted to let me know that he'd made it. Whatever the ethics of the oil biz, I was genuinely happy for his success given his background, plus he'd always been a hard worker and very responsible (he was the eldest of four, and became a de facto dad to his younger sisters). But he always wanted to let me know that a fishing trip he went on with my dad and I when we were around 14 meant the world to him, given his life at the time. One of those things that I endured at the time—my dad and I weren't close—but in retrospect now I'm glad I was able to given him that happy weekend. I could tell he was conservative as fuck, but whatever, he defied a lot of odds.

edit: Ha! I just checked out his linked.in page and it has predictable hate for the Liberals and contempt for vaccines and masks. Oh, Alberta, you are a stereotype …
I graduated 41 years ago and haven't had contact with anybody I went to HS with for probably 10 - 15 years. I wasn't part of a clique, don't do social media like FB, so even though I'm in the same town, I'm somewhat below the radar and I like it that way.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 4:26pm
I graduated 41 years ago and haven't had contact with anybody I went to HS with for probably 10 - 15 years. I wasn't part of a clique, don't do social media like FB, so even though I'm in the same town, I'm somewhat below the radar and I like it that way.
Yuo, I'm the same, except for not being in my hometown. I have a life goal of never setting foot in that piss bucket again.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Just passed my 25 year mark a couple of years ago, but I have zero recollection of it or any other reunion being marked by my high school. There’s maybe 3-4 people I went to HS with that I’m even Facebook friends with, and since I more or less quit Facebook a few months ago, I’m pretty much not in touch with them either.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I have a couple friends/acquaintances from high school still, but mostly not. I've never been invited or told about a reunion so I have no idea if/when they happen. Can't say I wish I had the opportunity to attend such a thing.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 5:11pm
Sparky wrote:
13 Sep 2021, 4:26pm
Yuo, I'm the same, except for not being in my hometown. I have a life goal of never setting foot in that piss bucket again.
Hello,

Wow - I'm not the oldest here. I keep in touch with 3 friends from High School. We get together every holiday season just after Christmas and occasionally in the Summer at the track. I get back to Saratoga, NY - a really great small town in upstate NY. We make a point to catch up and talk about the past for about 5 minutes and then quit reminiscing - what's going on nowadays with you, with sport (that's a great discussion topic), and general stuff. Avoiding getting into too much discussion about the past is key.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Went to three different high school in three different states. My best friend from Denver is dead. My best friend from New Orleans is MAGA now. And I see anyone from my high school here that I want to see. My 30th was in 2019 and I didn't go to any of them.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

2019 was my 40th.
I didn't mind high school so much, but I did not like my fellow students. Not many nice people at all.
Why would I want to see people I didn't like seeing 40-44 years ago? :rolleyes: So no, I didn't go.
These days, many of my associates from that era have also become Maga morons. To think that so many of them are now just so dense, it truly makes me sad. To think I misjudged so many people I knew pretty well as young adults ... it sucks.
But such is life. They are not a part of my world anymore and i'm the better for it.
I do like the concept of reunions, I love oldtimer's days in baseball, its just that my life experiences haven't given me anything worth reunioning with, lol.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
16 Sep 2021, 12:45am
I did not like my fellow students. Not many nice people at all.
Why would I want to see people I didn't like seeing 40-44 years ago? :rolleyes:
That's me entirely. I didn't like you back then, so why on earth would I subject myself to your company for a weekend after decades of non-contact? Absurd.
I do like the concept of reunions, I love oldtimer's days in baseball, its just that my life experiences haven't given me anything worth reunioning with, lol.
Oldtimer baseball is great. It's total fantasy and nostalgia, where we get to pretend that we still see these geezers as young men who could do amazing things. And we can all laugh that, no, they can't, we're all old now. Plus these guys often seem in worse shape now than us.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Probably clear, but just to say that life's gotten very busy lately and I'm not sure when I'll be able to engage with the quality and consistency that makes hanging out here the most rewarding. Look forward to that changing at some point.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 10:10am
Probably clear, but just to say that life's gotten very busy lately and I'm not sure when I'll be able to engage with the quality and consistency that makes hanging out here the most rewarding. Look forward to that changing at some point.
We'll keep the light on, plus you can just follow the smell of bullshit to lead you back here. :cool: