Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Low Down Low »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 11:33am
Mimi wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 11:30am
WestwayKid wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 11:13am
We're rewatching the final 3 seasons of Mad Men as my partner never finished watching the series (and can't remember where she stopped watching). It's an absolutely masterful show: writing, acting, directing, production design, music.
I'm currently doing my yearly re-watch. It's probably the best show ever written.
I agree. There is an elegance to the writing.
It was the first of those big tv series that I got into from the beginning of its run, actually made me want to stay in Saturday nights as opposed to going out to get blattered as I'd been doing for the previous 20 years. Remains the gold standard of shows for me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
Mimi wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
We're rewatching the final 3 seasons of Mad Men as my partner never finished watching the series (and can't remember where she stopped watching). It's an absolutely masterful show: writing, acting, directing, production design, music.
I'm currently doing my yearly re-watch. It's probably the best show ever written.
What I love is reading analyses and learning touches—some really big—that went over my head at the time. Like the lawnmower incident being a parallel with JFK's assassination, or Season 5 (1968) paralleling America's Vietnam experience that year. And the analyses are never the crazy Kubrick style theories, but stuff that is so damned obvious when you watch it again.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 1:44pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Mimi wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
What I love is reading analyses and learning touches—some really big—that went over my head at the time. Like the lawnmower incident being a parallel with JFK's assassination, or Season 5 (1968) paralleling America's Vietnam experience that year. And the analyses are never the crazy Kubrick style theories, but stuff that is so damned obvious when you watch it again.
Yeah, it was like every line and detail had a purpose and sometimes it was obvious - like Don eulogising Kodak with the happy family pics which were a clear contrast to his own chaotic home life - but most of the time it made you really think about it and you had to work at it. Most of it went over my head anyway!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Since we are talking about Mad Men - I will jump on the opportunity to plug the Tom and Lorenzo style recaps of Mad Men. Reading these always enhanced the show for me. Here's a sample: https://tomandlorenzo.com/2010/08/mad-s ... e-sword-2/
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 3:12pm
Since we are talking about Mad Men - I will jump on the opportunity to plug the Tom and Lorenzo style recaps of Mad Men. Reading these always enhanced the show for me. Here's a sample: https://tomandlorenzo.com/2010/08/mad-s ... e-sword-2/
I remember those! They had several material historians on retainer as consultants to make sure none of the props or fashion was ahistorical. I recall they made some goofs along the way (or just cheated), but the production had abnormal fidelity to representation of the period.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 4:11pm
JennyB wrote:
29 Nov 2021, 3:12pm
I remember those! They had several material historians on retainer as consultants to make sure none of the props or fashion was ahistorical. I recall they made some goofs along the way (or just cheated), but the production had abnormal fidelity to representation of the period.
It really was remarkable.
Got a Rake? Sure!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I should have posted this earlier but I enjoyed Only Murders in the Building. Steve Martin and Martin Short are reliably good, and Sting didn't suck. I don't know how they will squeeze many seasons out of this premise but if they get a couple as good as the first, I'll be happy.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 11:28pm
Hello,

I should have posted this earlier but I enjoyed Only Murders in the Building. Steve Martin and Martin Short are reliably good, and Sting didn't suck. I don't know how they will squeeze many seasons out of this premise but if they get a couple as good as the first, I'll be happy.
I was genuinely surprised by Selena Gomez.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

gkbill wrote:
Hello,

oh yeah, that was appointment viewing for me and the wife - a show we could both fully agree on. Sting's bit was actually really, really funny. "Writing songs is hard" lol
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 11:37pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

oh yeah, that was appointment viewing for me and the wife - a show we could both fully agree on. Sting's bit was actually really, really funny. "Writing songs is hard" lol
Agree. Great show and , not to sound cheesy, but I would actually kill for any of those apartments. I also love Amy Ryan.
Got a Rake? Sure!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 11:28am
Flex wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 11:37pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

Agree. Great show and , not to sound cheesy, but I would actually kill for any of those apartments. I also love Amy Ryan.
Same.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Just finished watching the sublime UK show Ghosts, and found out there's (of course) and American version on CBS. Why must this always happen?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 2:07pm
Just finished watching the sublime UK show Ghosts, and found out there's (of course) and American version on CBS. Why must this always happen?
Because Limeys have good ideas but it takes others to make them into good practice?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
US version good tho. I suspect you'd hate it, however.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
03 Dec 2021, 2:55pm
Kory wrote:
US version good tho. I suspect you'd hate it, however.
Just from a philosophical perspective, or because it's not my kind of humor?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc