Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 10:46am
https://www.cnet.com/features/could-ai- ... 1341135158

The future continues to look bleak.
We already exist in a world with generic music created for commercials and the like—working a formula to produce a desired response. It's created by humans, but it's not creation in the way we like to think. More true AI-created stuff would replace those drudges—making it all more efficient—and would, I'd like to think, make us esteem sincere human artistry all the more.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 10:51am
revbob wrote:

We already exist in a world with generic music created for commercials and the like—working a formula to produce a desired response. It's created by humans, but it's not creation in the way we like to think. More true AI-created stuff would replace those drudges—making it all more efficient—and would, I'd like to think, make us esteem sincere human artistry all the more.
I could easily see this replacing a large amount of pop music, Biebers, Perrys, Swifts etc. They are one step removed from that already, or even a lot of these people switching to this format and phoning in some vocals for lyrics the AI created. I probably wouldn't know the difference. I certainly wouldn't choose to listen to either. And how much of the market/profit comes from music like this already? The problem is how much this type of shit continues to push people who want to create music away from this field as it contines to be less profitable/rewarding.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 12:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I could easily see this replacing a large amount of pop music, Biebers, Perrys, Swifts etc. They are one step removed from that already, or even a lot of these people switching to this format and phoning in some vocals for lyrics the AI created. I probably wouldn't know the difference. I certainly wouldn't choose to listen to either. And how much of the market/profit comes from music like this already? The problem is how much this type of shit continues to push people who want to create music away from this field as it contines to be less profitable/rewarding.
As I said, I see AI as more of an efficiency change than a revolution that eliminates human beings from creating music. Admittedly, it comes from my jaundiced view of contemporary pop music and the pervasiveness of muzak in commercials and the like. So much of techno (broadly speaking) sounds fully computer generated, appreciated only if you've got a head full of substance. If people like that, well, bless their heart.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 1:04pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

As I said, I see AI as more of an efficiency change than a revolution that eliminates human beings from creating music. Admittedly, it comes from my jaundiced view of contemporary pop music and the pervasiveness of muzak in commercials and the like. So much of techno (broadly speaking) sounds fully computer generated, appreciated only if you've got a head full of substance. If people like that, well, bless their heart.
Kraftwerk have been doing this for years.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 1:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

By computer generated, I meant along the lines of AI, without human initiative.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 1:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Sure thing it's just the inevitable next step.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 2:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

I wouldn't reduce Kraftwerk to mindless formula, tho. That's what AI would do.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 2:02pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'm a big Autechre fan but a lot of their recent music has been generative. A fun experiment for an ep or two maybe, it's started to lose some of its luster for me.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 8:04pm
BitterTom wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 4:06pm
Dancing Queen aside, I reckon this song beats any ABBA track you can throw at it.
"That's Me" by ABBA is still better though.
One I'm not too familiar with, just had it on a couple of times and can happily say I'm a fan, classic ABBA chord progression but those keys remind me of a run down seaside fairground. Not so much a criticism, more an observation.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

BitterTom wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 2:43pm
Heston wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 8:04pm
BitterTom wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 4:06pm
Dancing Queen aside, I reckon this song beats any ABBA track you can throw at it.
"That's Me" by ABBA is still better though.
One I'm not too familiar with, just had it on a couple of times and can happily say I'm a fan, classic ABBA chord progression but those keys remind me of a run down seaside fairground. Not so much a criticism, more an observation.
Check out "Tiger" from the same album. Monster of a track and should have been a single.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 2:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I'm a big Autechre fan but a lot of their recent music has been generative. A fun experiment for an ep or two maybe, it's started to lose some of its luster for me.
Eno released something a few years back but the exact nature eludes me. It was an album of pure randomness or some kind of software that let you alter his basic piece. Again, a fun experiment but limited, imo.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Neither would I. I think it's genius. But then a computer might just come up with something great. I mean just like Kraftwerk the software the computer requires will have to be based upon on a structure so be it Beethoven or Buzzcocks it should be capable of producing something of worth. Unless it's KISS obviously.😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 3:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Neither would I. I think it's genius. But then a computer might just come up with something great. I mean just like Kraftwerk the software the computer requires will have to be based upon on a structure so be it Beethoven or Buzzcocks it should be capable of producing something of worth. Unless it's KISS obviously.😉
Sure, a computer could come up with something quite listenable—formula emerges because its what people reliably enjoy, whether music, movie, or any other form of art—but actual creativity that defies expectations? I'm very skeptical.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 4:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Sure, a computer could come up with something quite listenable—formula emerges because its what people reliably enjoy, whether music, movie, or any other form of art—but actual creativity that defies expectations? I'm very skeptical.
It's odd but then a human invented the computer so maybe it will evolve. Who knows?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 4:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 4:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It's odd but then a human invented the computer so maybe it will evolve. Who knows?
Its nice you're being so optimistic.