Mojo magazine Punk Icons

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Mojo magazine Punk Icons

Post by Telecaster »

Mojo magazine, have issued part one of their Punk Icons series. The first issue features The Clash, with the second featuring The Pistols.

The magazine is housed in a fold out glossy sleeve. Not had a chance to read it yet, but its nice to see in the racks of the local supermarket.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: Mojo magazine Punk Icons

Post by Sparky »

Telecaster wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 5:02pm
Mojo magazine, have issued part one of their Punk Icons series. The first issue features The Clash, with the second featuring The Pistols.

The magazine is housed in a fold out glossy sleeve. Not had a chance to read it yet, but its nice to see in the racks of the local supermarket.
Thanks for the info, checked it out on their website, looks pretty nice. Might have to order one since it doesn't appear to be available here in the states.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

I sort of rolled my eyes when I saw this advertised online - Mojo, Uncut and co have done Clash specials before, I thought, is this aimed at new fans, what could there possibly be new to tell, etc etc. But when I was (not lost) in the supermarket and saw a copy on the racks, I couldn't resist.
Pricey at £8.99, but it's not really a regular music mag cos there's no ads in (which keeps the cost down) Think of it as a large format full colour paperback, and it takes the sting out it!
The folder it's in is sealed with a bit of tape, so you couldn't flick through and have a preview, either, so it was a bit of a leap of faith.
Anyway, I'm enjoying it so far. Pat Gilbert is behind it and he knows his Clash stuff of course, and has contacts galore I think.
There are a handful of new pics, some very early ones, plus new interviews.... Pablo La Britain and (gasp) Bernie 'Bernard' Rhodes so far and I'm only a few 'chapters' in. (It's set out as lots of them, focussing on the various characters and turning points in chronological order)
It's definitely a refreshing way to revisit the whole Clash tale.
And I'll probably got the Pistols one when it's published, if it's as well done as this.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

They should do one for Wire.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 2:28pm
Most magazines aspire to sell more than 500 copies of an issue.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 5:30pm
Kory wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 2:28pm
Most magazines aspire to sell more than 500 copies of an issue.
Fuck them.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

They should do one for X Ray Spex.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

JennyB wrote:
06 Jan 2022, 12:50pm
The documentary by Poly Styrene's daughter is pretty good.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

JohnS wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 5:44am
I sort of rolled my eyes when I saw this advertised online - Mojo, Uncut and co have done Clash specials before, I thought, is this aimed at new fans, what could there possibly be new to tell, etc etc. But when I was (not lost) in the supermarket and saw a copy on the racks, I couldn't resist.
Pricey at £8.99, but it's not really a regular music mag cos there's no ads in (which keeps the cost down) Think of it as a large format full colour paperback, and it takes the sting out it!
The folder it's in is sealed with a bit of tape, so you couldn't flick through and have a preview, either, so it was a bit of a leap of faith.
Anyway, I'm enjoying it so far. Pat Gilbert is behind it and he knows his Clash stuff of course, and has contacts galore I think.
There are a handful of new pics, some very early ones, plus new interviews.... Pablo La Britain and (gasp) Bernie 'Bernard' Rhodes so far and I'm only a few 'chapters' in. (It's set out as lots of them, focussing on the various characters and turning points in chronological order)
And I'll probably got the Pistols one when it's published, if it's as well done as this.
Thanks for the review, John! Not gonna go out of my way to find it, but if I see it somewhere I'll probably buy it.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

laxman wrote:
06 Jan 2022, 1:11pm
JennyB wrote:
Agreed - I loved the visual style and how it echoed her book.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

laxman wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Agreed, it was very well done, learned stuff about her life struggles I hadn't known, she was an amazing woman.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

MOJO's also on Apple News, if anyone here subscribes to that — I checked it out and John's spot on with his review. Some new cool stuff alongside some things we've all already seen!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
06 Jan 2022, 1:21pm
laxman wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Agreed - I loved the visual style and how it echoed her book.
Yeah, very much so. Poly's personal struggles make her all the more appealing, someone more inspirational because she was challenged by demons and illness.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

amj241
Dirty Punk

Post by amj241 »

JohnS wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 5:44am
Thanks for the review! Looks like it’s about $22 to ship to the US- do you think it’s worth it at that price tag? I already own a few books but I’d assume this would have better pictures/graphics/etc.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

amj241 wrote:
14 Jan 2022, 7:51pm
Thanks for the review! Looks like it’s about $22 to ship to the US- do you think it’s worth it at that price tag? I already own a few books but I’d assume this would have better pictures/graphics/etc.
$22 shipping seems a lot, although it is a fairly chunky magazine (132 pages) plus outer card jacket/wallet thing.
Do I think it's worth it? Well, how long's a piece of string - it depends on your finances, your fan-dom, what you're familiar with, all sorts. But if it helps, some more thoughts...

The vast majority of the photos will be familiar, but one thing I didn't mention before is that many of the captions are much more detailed than usual, ie dates and locations are given. It's interesting to learn where lots of classic live shots are from. I liked that - good effort, Mojo team.
The front cover photo is, I think, a colourised version of a B/W image - I can see why this was done for a cover, but B/W photos have their own quality and they're left as such elsewhere in the mag. There's tons of genuine colour photos anyway.

General layout and design are great - sympathetic to the various eras - and there's lots of montages of contemporary imagery like posters, badges, flyers etc. Again, you've probably seen it before, so it's up to you if you want to buy it again! And some of the pages are. well, not 'blank'. but just large type headings or oversized headlines so perhaps the total page count could have been reduced, but there you go.

Some of the chapters are reprinted articles from the music press at the time - a Pete Silverton one from 1978 all about recording GEER, a Sylvie Simmons 'on the road' piece about the Pearl Harbour 79 US tour, and a Chris Salewicz feature from 79/80- but done as all-new layouts (ie not reprroductions of the 70s pages) You may find these articles familiar but they were new to me, so a welcome read.

Maybe it's worth contacting Mojo to ask if they do a digital / Kindle version?
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres