The Growing Old Kinda Sucks thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Growing Old Kinda Sucks thread

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 3:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 3:30pm
I snarl a little inside when the Boss texts me "k" to mean "okay." Your life is not so on the go that you can't tap out all four letters. Seriously, whose life is *that* busy?
Rare footage of Doc receiving a text:
He doesn't have that much hair.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 4:05pm
Flex wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 3:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 3:30pm
I snarl a little inside when the Boss texts me "k" to mean "okay." Your life is not so on the go that you can't tap out all four letters. Seriously, whose life is *that* busy?
Rare footage of Doc receiving a text:
He doesn't have that much hair.
C'mon, man:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

The solution is never to text anyone that isn’t less than 3-5 years away from your age. No matter how old or young you are you’ll be happier.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Wolter wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 4:21pm
The solution is never to text anyone that isn’t less than 3-5 years away from your age. No matter how old or young you are you’ll be happier.
Hello,

This won't work on two levels. Firstly, my communication is with groups of people generations younger than me. Secondly, very few people my age text - well, maybe not the second so much. Regardless, you are not saving that much time (even for a text-er as slow as I am, it's microseconds) or energy.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Wolter wrote:
This is good, though I'd have stopped typing after the first seven words. That's pretty much perfection for me right there.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 6:00pm
Wolter wrote:
This is good, though I'd have stopped typing after the first seven words. That's pretty much perfection for me right there.
I have to text my wife for logistics. Otherwise my phone would be a glorified iPod.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Wolter wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 6:18pm
Low Down Low wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 6:00pm
Wolter wrote:
I have to text my wife for logistics. Otherwise my phone would be a glorified iPod.
Ah, i was half joking really, I'm totally with you. I used to text a lot, stupid stuff about what's on tv, who I passed on the street earlier etc, and I'd say I have cut down by 95%, steadfastly resisted repeated entreaties to get on whatsapp and I'm pretty happy about it anyway. I consider doing nothing at all a more productive use of my time.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Had a little health scare a week or so ago.

Noticed a dull pain in my testicle/lower abdomen. It didn't go away after a few days, so I messaged my doctor who had me come in the same day. I wasn't used to that level or urgency from my doctor. They checked for infections, hernia, and lumps and got nothing. So they ordered an ultrasound which was scheduled a week out and it was the longest fucking week of my life. I tried not to tell my wife to get her potentially unnecessarily worried and I made it about 4 days before breaking down and telling her. Anyway, ultrasound was clear of any tumor or torsion concerns and the pain went away shortly after that. But yeah, I'm convinced cancer is going to take me out, though hopefully not for another 40 years, so I went through all sorts of shit in my head on this one.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 3:25pm

Noticed a dull pain in my testicle/lower abdomen. It didn't go away after a few days, so I messaged my doctor who had me come in the same day. I wasn't used to that level or urgency from my doctor. They checked for infections, hernia, and lumps and got nothing. So they ordered an ultrasound which was scheduled a week out and it was the longest fucking week of my life. I tried not to tell my wife to get her potentially unnecessarily worried and I made it about 4 days before breaking down and telling her. Anyway, ultrasound was clear of any tumor or torsion concerns and the pain went away shortly after that. But yeah, I'm convinced cancer is going to take me out, though hopefully not for another 40 years, so I went through all sorts of shit in my head on this one.
Yikes, man, sorry you went thru that anxiety, but relieved that nothing awful was discovered. Did a doctor offer up an explanation for the pain?

I'm convinced that something'll go splat in my brain one day and that will be it. Better that than slowly circling the drain.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 3:43pm
matedog wrote:

Yikes, man, sorry you went thru that anxiety, but relieved that nothing awful was discovered. Did a doctor offer up an explanation for the pain?

I'm convinced that something'll go splat in my brain one day and that will be it. Better that than slowly circling the drain.
Nope, no explanation. So I'll have to keep tabs on it. With my ongoing back pain, my Dr. Matey/Google search diagnosed me as having testicular cancer that spread to the lymph nodes. I guess with cancer, it's better to overreact than under, but still.

Only upside of slowly circling the drain is you have the opportunity for goodbyes and getting your paperwork in order I guess.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 3:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Mar 2022, 3:43pm
matedog wrote:

Nope, no explanation. So I'll have to keep tabs on it. With my ongoing back pain, my Dr. Matey/Google search diagnosed me as having testicular cancer that spread to the lymph nodes. I guess with cancer, it's better to overreact than under, but still.
That's totally understandable, jumping to the worst case possible. I mean, if it's nothing, who cares? We only care if there are serious consequences. We only watched the white Bronco slow chase because, holy crap, maybe OJ will kill Cowlings and/or himself. If we knew he'd just surrender, meh, whatever.
Only upside of slowly circling the drain is you have the opportunity for goodbyes and getting your paperwork in order I guess.
It's just me, maybe, but I'd find it exhausting having to deal with people wanting to say goodbye. Fucking leave me alone, I'm dyin' here! I kinda understand why people who get a terminal diagnosis generally keep it to a small circle.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

matedog wrote:

Sorry about this. That waiting time is the worst. Glad you're okay.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Yikes, glad you're okay matey
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

matedog wrote:

Wow, I can only imagine the stress and anxiety while awaiting the results, glad you're ok.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

matedog wrote:

Shit. I am glad you are OK, but so sorry you had to endure that long wait. That is torture. Thank goodness it wasn't anything serious.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy