Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 May 2022, 6:04am
Heston wrote:
13 May 2022, 4:01am
Here it is. it's not unlisted now but was for a long time. They really should delete the older version as this renders it obsolete.

That's the same as I posted? They are identical. They are both the HD version.
Maybe one includes an elevator bell? :shifty:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 May 2022, 7:33am
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Here it is. it's not unlisted now but was for a long time. They really should delete the older version as this renders it obsolete.

Maybe one includes an elevator bell? :shifty:
Of course that'll be it. 🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

I can only assume they must have upgraded the picture/sound on the version you posted at some point in the last couple of years. When the version I posted first came online it was a big upgrade in sound and picture to what we'd had before, which had hissy audio and looked very murky. They even had a short video to accompany it which showed the improvements in an a/b test.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
13 May 2022, 9:09am
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

I can only assume they must have upgraded the picture/sound on the version you posted at some point in the last couple of years. When the version I posted first came online it was a big upgrade in sound and picture to what we'd had before, which had hissy audio and looked very murky. They even had a short video to accompany it which showed the improvements in an a/b test.
But they are not different versions they are the same. They both have the HD icon and "The Clash" icon from the website. One being posted to Vevo the other YouTube.

Anyway all that matters is it's availability. So all is good.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 May 2022, 9:48am
But they are not different versions they are the same. They both have the HD icon and "The Clash" icon from the website. One being posted to Vevo the other YouTube.

Yeah mate, they are not different versions now, that's my point.

The upload you posted is from 11 years ago and it wasn't in that quality back then. It looked like a bad VHS rip. At some point since the video was remastered 2 years ago they've replaced the "old" video with the remastered one and added the HD logo. I hadn't noticed that til now hence my moan earlier. :mrgreen:

But yeah, both are the same quality now so job done.
Last edited by Heston on 13 May 2022, 10:39am, edited 1 time in total.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Double post

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
13 May 2022, 10:35am
Marky Dread wrote:

The upload you posted is from 11 years ago and it wasn't in that quality back then. It looked like a bad VHS rip. At some point since the video was remastered 2 years ago they've replaced the "old" video with the remastered one and added the HD logo. I hadn't noticed that til now hence my moan earlier. :mrgreen:

Yeah I thought it might've been the original upload date that had you thinking that. What I don't get is why they just don't remaster them all (if they haven't already) and post the lot.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
13 May 2022, 1:17pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yeah I thought it might've been the original upload date that had you thinking that. What I don't get is why they just don't remaster them all (if they haven't already) and post the lot.
It's mad that they put these videos out on DVD in that state.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Hey, this is the Clash we're talking about!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
13 May 2022, 2:09pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Hey, this is the Clash we're talking about!
They'll never get on the radio like that.😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

blureu
Dirty Punk

Post by blureu »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0017d9d

Combat Rock Re-fixed at 40

Don Letts' Culture Clash Radio
Don celebrates the 40th anniversary of his friends the Clash's fourth album Combat Rock by featuring newly-released material plus covers and re-interpretations of every track on the album.

Release date:22 May 2022

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

blureu wrote:
15 May 2022, 11:12am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0017d9d

Combat Rock Re-fixed at 40

Don Letts' Culture Clash Radio
Don celebrates the 40th anniversary of his friends the Clash's fourth album Combat Rock by featuring newly-released material plus covers and re-interpretations of every track on the album.

Release date:22 May 2022
If Don was celebrating the 40th anniversary of his friends the Clash's fourth album then he would be going back in time as that was Sandinista!.😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

Anyone else read that 'He Who Dares or Is Tired' is "an upbeat instrumental with horns"?

Great... a speeded up, edited down 'Car Jamming' played backwards :shifty:

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
16 May 2022, 12:37pm
Anyone else read that 'He Who Dares or Is Tired' is "an upbeat instrumental with horns"?

Great... a speeded up, edited down 'Car Jamming' played backwards :shifty:
Hmm, that's still interesting. A Joe or Mick vocal would be ideal, but an actual outtake would be great in any form.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Equaliser
Dirty Punk

Post by Equaliser »

My physical copy arrives tomorrow but I found a copy of People's Hall today in Soulseek. Here is my preview/review.

1. Outside Bonds - Sounds like the piece from Westway To The World that is an excerpt from Don's Bonds footage. Kind of pointless considering the good stuff they left off this release.

2. This Is Radio Clash - Supposed to be an alternate mix or lyrics but seems the same after one listen.

3. Futura 2000 - This sounds like the "demo" version that was making the rounds. I dig it! Happy to see this track as an official part of the Clash catalog.

4. First Night Back In London - Short edit of this track.

5. Radio One - Totally pisses me off to include a Sandinista b-side on this! I hope the liner notes explain this madness.

6. He Who Dares Or Is Tired - Interesting instrumental that to me sounds like the backing track to a song they were working on. Kind of reminds of the Jam. I wonder if this had lyrics at some point.

7. Long Time Jerk - Long edit of this b-side.

8. Fulham Connection - Sound System version.

9. Midnight To Stevens - Sound System version.

10. Sean Flynn - Marcus Music extended Sound System version.

11. Idle In Kangaroo Court - Sound System version.

12. Know Your Rights - Wow! Completely different version of this song with a backing track that is not from CR or RP, lyrics are also very different!

I am super pissed that they did not include Once You Know, Cool Confusion, Mustapha Dance, Over Powered By Funk extended mix and the Ranking Roger dubs. They also could have included more of the Rat Patrol alt-versions especially the extended STH, Alt- SISOSIG etc etc... Walk Evil Talk?