Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Combat Rock 40th anniversary reissue coming soon?

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 May 2022, 3:16pm
aza wrote:
21 May 2022, 3:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 May 2022, 3:03pm
aza wrote:
21 May 2022, 3:00pm
Yes. Pretty sure he told me he was working A&R for Epic for a bit, but definitely claimed the quote came from him.
Well he's too old to shoot now so he survives another day!!!

Stupid quote!
Ha! Personally I like it, it’s kinda like “we may not be the best, but we really matter! Honestly, seriously we do!”
Thanks for posting that LDL. The only band that matters and they pick a clip of them with Jimmy Pursey.🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

IkarisOne wrote:
21 May 2022, 2:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2022, 2:42pm

That's something I often find curious because it seems so obvious in retrospect. A group is suffering from serious in-fighting, creative differences, all that crap, so just agree to hit pause for a couple years to let people do their own thing and cool the room. Then see if time apart serves as a reminder of why they enjoyed working together in the first place. The Beatles, obviously—everyone go do a couple solo albums and then come back in a few years. Why the dramatic act of firing or quitting?
I would say two things: familiarity breeds contempt and contractual stipulations. Being in a band under that kind of pressure really leads musicians to hate each other, because you're stuck together around the clock under some boring, grueling conditions. The other thing is back then bands were contracted to do an album a year and tour, which makes it hard to write good songs. There are all other kinds of legal and contractual witchcraft that inevitably poison the well with musicians, who are usually not well-adjusted mature adults.
I don't disagree but to the latter point it's hard to understand a good manager not going to the record company and saying give 'em some time off or they're done and you get nothing further. A sensible businessperson will bend to get more down the road. But, yeah, these kinds of situations have people thinking with their angry hearts, so logic goes out the window.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

My issue with that slogan is that if I try to look at it from a non fan perspective, it really does appear quite self aggrandizing and arrogant. I think it probably turned as many people off the band as attracted new fans tbh. I certainly encountered quite a few people who really disliked them and that I think was a core reason why, that perceived sense of arrogance and entitlement. I don't blame the band members for that but perhaps they could have done more to counter it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
21 May 2022, 3:12pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 May 2022, 3:10pm
Flex wrote:
21 May 2022, 3:07pm
Maybe a bad quote, but the band bought into it. It's not just something ascribed to the band that they wanted nothing to do with.
They mattered to their friends/families/fans etc. But then so do many others.

A band that matters definitely. But "The Only" no way.
They marketed themselves as the only band that matters. When you do that, I think you're giving the impression you're trying to be more than just another band trying to make the charts.

It's weird you're denying this.

Addendum: you're not denying it, were just having different conversations
They didn't market themselves as that. The record company did that. Maybe they went along with it to some extent. But it's really naff.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 May 2022, 3:25pm
Low Down Low wrote:
21 May 2022, 3:16pm
aza wrote:
21 May 2022, 3:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 May 2022, 3:03pm
aza wrote:
21 May 2022, 3:00pm
Yes. Pretty sure he told me he was working A&R for Epic for a bit, but definitely claimed the quote came from him.
Well he's too old to shoot now so he survives another day!!!

Stupid quote!
Ha! Personally I like it, it’s kinda like “we may not be the best, but we really matter! Honestly, seriously we do!”
Thanks for posting that LDL. The only band that matters and they pick a clip of them with Jimmy Pursey.🤣
:mrgreen:

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2022, 3:26pm
IkarisOne wrote:
21 May 2022, 2:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2022, 2:42pm

That's something I often find curious because it seems so obvious in retrospect. A group is suffering from serious in-fighting, creative differences, all that crap, so just agree to hit pause for a couple years to let people do their own thing and cool the room. Then see if time apart serves as a reminder of why they enjoyed working together in the first place. The Beatles, obviously—everyone go do a couple solo albums and then come back in a few years. Why the dramatic act of firing or quitting?
I would say two things: familiarity breeds contempt and contractual stipulations. Being in a band under that kind of pressure really leads musicians to hate each other, because you're stuck together around the clock under some boring, grueling conditions. The other thing is back then bands were contracted to do an album a year and tour, which makes it hard to write good songs. There are all other kinds of legal and contractual witchcraft that inevitably poison the well with musicians, who are usually not well-adjusted mature adults.
I don't disagree but to the latter point it's hard to understand a good manager not going to the record company and saying give 'em some time off or they're done and you get nothing further. A sensible businessperson will bend to get more down the road. But, yeah, these kinds of situations have people thinking with their angry hearts, so logic goes out the window.
Ideally, but I don't think the company drove the band all that hard - their schedule was not what you'd call onerous until 1982. They were off the road for the entire second half of 1980 and no one was forcing them to hole up in a very expensive studio two blocks away from an open-air drug bazaar and record a triple album set. To be honest I think they'd have been better off with a much heavier schedule - it would keep Topper occupied and it would have given Mick a stronger sense of what people actually wanted to hear.

But Topper nailed it- the magic was gone. You can practically feel the band straining to make sense of this weird new shit Mick was cooking up in his perpetual drug daze, very little of which was the hip-hop inflected dance rock he'd been preaching. It's a terribly depressing feeling when you have four guys sitting in a room trying to make music after the muses have left the building.

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

I’ll be honest here - I’m angry! I bought the CD edition despite having serious reservations, having read the info regarding what was on it. I’ve bought everything they’ve ever released from day one, White Riot single, first album with red sticker, freebie Capitol Radio EP in the post etc… Spent hard earned pocket money on those. Spent my paper round money on gigs in Torquay and Exeter and Bristol before I could earn some proper money to travel further afield to see them. Why? Because I love the band but… I’m never gonna play this release again! I’ve spent today playing the version of Rat Patrol that I created from Sound System and the acetate several times in an attempt to cheer myself up. I feel totally cheated and conned by the remaining members now. And I say that that with a heavy heart! What has happened to the band that would haul kids through windows to see their gigs for free, insist on two albums for the price of one, release a triple for £4.99? TeddyB - please pass on my views to Mick! Very, very sad quite frankly!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

BBC2 is showing TOTP from 1998 and Fat Les Vindaloo just came on which reminded me of Joe appearing on England's Irie a couple of years earlier. Nothing much, just another addition to the sell out list ;)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

topperville wrote:
21 May 2022, 4:12pm
I’ll be honest here - I’m angry! I bought the CD edition despite having serious reservations, having read the info regarding what was on it. I’ve bought everything they’ve ever released from day one, White Riot single, first album with red sticker, freebie Capitol Radio EP in the post etc… Spent hard earned pocket money on those. Spent my paper round money on gigs in Torquay and Exeter and Bristol before I could earn some proper money to travel further afield to see them. Why? Because I love the band but… I’m never gonna play this release again! I’ve spent today playing the version of Rat Patrol that I created from Sound System and the acetate several times in an attempt to cheer myself up. I feel totally cheated and conned by the remaining members now. And I say that that with a heavy heart! What has happened to the band that would haul kids through windows to see their gigs for free, insist on two albums for the price of one, release a triple for £4.99? TeddyB - please pass on my views to Mick! Very, very sad quite frankly!
I feel your pain.
Now feel mine.

Triple album.
Green vinyl album.
UK CD
Japanese CD.

At least I didn't go for the red vinyl edition also. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 May 2022, 4:37pm

I feel your pain.
Now feel mine.

Triple album.
Green vinyl album.
UK CD
Japanese CD.

Or the Japanese clear vinyl. With vast shipping costs.
Some fan, you are…. !
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »

Marky Dread wrote:
topperville wrote:
I feel your pain.
Now feel mine.

Triple album.
Green vinyl album.
UK CD
Japanese CD.

Fuck The Clash!!!
Attachments
05E1DCE8-B182-4E58-A527-E8E3916D4413.jpeg
05E1DCE8-B182-4E58-A527-E8E3916D4413.jpeg (91.08 KiB) Viewed 1100 times

topperville
Dirty Punk

Post by topperville »

Marky Dread wrote:
topperville wrote:
I feel your pain.
Now feel mine.

Triple album.
Green vinyl album.
UK CD
Japanese CD.

Me: Marky - have you got a handle attached to your back?
Marky: Why?
Me: Coz they’re treating you like a mug!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

sonnyburnit wrote:
21 May 2022, 5:02pm
Marky Dread wrote:
topperville wrote:
I feel your pain.
Now feel mine.

Triple album.
Green vinyl album.
UK CD
Japanese CD.

Fuck The Clash!!!
🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
21 May 2022, 4:59pm
Marky Dread wrote:

I feel your pain.
Now feel mine.

Triple album.
Green vinyl album.
UK CD
Japanese CD.

Or the Japanese clear vinyl. With vast shipping costs.
Some fan, you are…. !
I'm stupidly foolish but I'm not an idiot. Clear vinyl...I saw through that one. 🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

topperville wrote:
21 May 2022, 5:03pm
Marky Dread wrote:
topperville wrote:
I feel your pain.
Now feel mine.

Triple album.
Green vinyl album.
UK CD
Japanese CD.

Me: Marky - have you got a handle attached to your back?
Marky: Why?
Me: Coz they’re treating you like a mug!
Let's just say I have my reasons. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia