Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Joe Public
Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rolla

Re: Currently watching.

Post by Joe Public »

tepista wrote:
11 Jun 2022, 4:23pm
Is it streaming, or do you have the discs?
Unfortunately, nobody streams it for some stupid reason.
I have the discs, but I torrented it not too long ago, so I have it all on a USB drive in the ol' Roku...
You gotta give the people something good to read...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've been rewatching The Invaders the past week. If you don't know it, it's The Fugitive except with aliens (both shows were Quinn Martin productions). Every week, our hero tries to expose the alien conspiracy but no. And despite him uncovering and wrecking plan after plan of theirs to take over the planet (but exclusively from within the US), they don't just kill him. The guy is more than a bit of a pest yet they don't send Zagblorp wearing an omegagamma bomb on a suicide kill mission. But what amuses me is that the introduction to every episode, meant to bring new viewers up to speed, tell us the hero is "architect David Vincent." Like it's an important detail that he's an architect, even tho he never does architect-y things to battle the aliens. Quick, design a portico to trap Gligdox! He could be "record wholesaler David Vincent" or "blackjack dealer David Vincent" for all it matters. Anyway, it's a silly show but good for "hey, it's that guy" guest stars from the old days.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 4:09pm
I've been rewatching The Invaders the past week. If you don't know it, it's The Fugitive except with aliens (both shows were Quinn Martin productions). Every week, our hero tries to expose the alien conspiracy but no. And despite him uncovering and wrecking plan after plan of theirs to take over the planet (but exclusively from within the US), they don't just kill him. The guy is more than a bit of a pest yet they don't send Zagblorp wearing an omegagamma bomb on a suicide kill mission. But what amuses me is that the introduction to every episode, meant to bring new viewers up to speed, tell us the hero is "architect David Vincent." Like it's an important detail that he's an architect, even tho he never does architect-y things to battle the aliens. Quick, design a portico to trap Gligdox! He could be "record wholesaler David Vincent" or "blackjack dealer David Vincent" for all it matters. Anyway, it's a silly show but good for "hey, it's that guy" guest stars from the old days.
I think I remember watching that a few times when I was a kid - I think PBS used to syndicate it in a block with some old Doctor Who and Fleischer superman cartoons.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
From IMDB:
The Invaders (1967)

The Aliens are here, posing as human, and not friendly. David Vincent has seen them land and now must evade them and convince others of their presence while not being put in the booby hatch.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061265/pl ... =po6069204

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 4:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
From IMDB:
The Invaders (1967)

The Aliens are here, posing as human, and not friendly. David Vincent has seen them land and now must evade them and convince others of their presence while not being put in the booby hatch.

Booby hatch is my usual term for psychiatric hospital. It's just plain a fun and funny thing to say.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 4:23pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
From IMDB:
The Invaders (1967)

Booby hatch is my usual term for psychiatric hospital. It's just plain a fun and funny thing to say.
Google and I think of it in very different terms.

https://www.google.com/search?q=booby+h ... prmd=simvn

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 4:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 4:23pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
From IMDB:
The Invaders (1967)

Google and I think of it in very different terms.

https://www.google.com/search?q=booby+h ... prmd=simvn

Ha ha, "hatch." :shifty:

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I tried to watch a few years ago, as I am a huge fan of creator Larry Cohen, but I stalled out after 4 or 5 episodes.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 7:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I tried to watch a few years ago, as I am a huge fan of creator Larry Cohen, but I stalled out after 4 or 5 episodes.
I don't blame you—it just doesn't go anywhere. Maybe it's more Gilligan's Island than The Fugitive.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wife and I had a follow conversation on kids in the hall, prompted by us checking out a show she enjoyed but I didn't think was very funny.

Her: well, I think it's that you like irreverent humor and I like real humor.

Me: real humor?

Her: yeah, you know, humor that's actually funny.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
24 Jun 2022, 11:16am
Wife and I had a follow conversation on kids in the hall, prompted by us checking out a show she enjoyed but I didn't think was very funny.

Her: well, I think it's that you like irreverent humor and I like real humor.

Me: real humor?

Her: yeah, you know, humor that's actually funny.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Just finished Shane Meadows' This Is England series. It was pretty interesting watching him and his cowriter Jack Thorne come up with stories for characters that didn't even have lines in the movie. A lot of it is really intense, much like the movie, but with different topics, although I did really like how the final episode came full circle with the movie. Really hoping they follow through on a millennium series.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Just finished Stranger Things 4. I liked it. I liked it better than Stranger Things 3. The episodes did feel a bit overstuffed at times as they told a very expansive story, but they pulled it off. The cast of characters continues to be likeable (for the most part) and they introduced some good new ones. I'm not usually a fan of sci-fi horror, but this show has consistently engaged me and I look forward to Stranger Things 5, though I suspect at some point it will run out of steam, so I hope they know when to pull the plug.

Also, some great use of music this season, from the resurrection of Kate Bush's awesome "Running Up the Hill" to this clip:

That was a reminder that at one point a much younger WWK didn't exactly dislike Metallica. The punks and metalheads at my high school had a definite kinship as outsiders.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 7:12pm
Just finished Stranger Things 4. I liked it. I liked it better than Stranger Things 3. The episodes did feel a bit overstuffed at times as they told a very expansive story, but they pulled it off. The cast of characters continues to be likeable (for the most part) and they introduced some good new ones. I'm not usually a fan of sci-fi horror, but this show has consistently engaged me and I look forward to Stranger Things 5, though I suspect at some point it will run out of steam, so I hope they know when to pull the plug.

Also, some great use of music this season, from the resurrection of Kate Bush's awesome "Running Up the Hill" to this clip:

That was a reminder that at one point a much younger WWK didn't exactly dislike Metallica. The punks and metalheads at my high school had a definite kinship as outsiders.
Older Metallica was the right choice for that moment. I dug it.

I found the stoned surfer pizza guy to be a bit tiresome. Ms Ryder is awesome.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 8:21pm
WestwayKid wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 7:12pm

Older Metallica was the right choice for that moment. I dug it.

I found the stoned surfer pizza guy to be a bit tiresome. Ms Ryder is awesome.
I liked it OK. Every ep was as long as a fucking movie. The grown up parts, ie the Russia scenes, I thought were boring. And those Hawkins cops, jeez. Let's not go out there and be vigilantes, OK? No? OK, never mind.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak