Would/Should/Could The Clash headline Glastonbury?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Blackmarketclash
Dirty Punk

Would/Should/Could The Clash headline Glastonbury?

Post by Blackmarketclash »

Given Macca, minus the lead singer John and at the youthful age of 80 was the act the watch at Glastonbury, Would/Should/Could The Clash headline Glastonbury?

I’m not sure they have the inclination and would they get to billing (probably)?

They need a vocalist so who? If it was Springsteen, who appeared to have lost his voice with Macca or someone of that ilk, they’d pack them in.

Macca did 3 hours of which to be honest curiosity at his hour was the only thing that drew me in. Could The Clash do three hours? I’m biased of course but it would be a better three hours than some of Macca’s back catalogue.

And what would it say about the Clash. Glastonbury and it’s legendary status certainly stands above any money.

Would it be fun, worthwhile? I think so. It would project the band members and their other projects.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Would/Should/Could The Clash headline Glastonbury?

Post by Low Down Low »

I watched the macca set and found myself a little bored for a lot of it but the ending was good and couldn't help but marvel at the guy's stamina and commitment to put on a great show. As for the Clash, it's a firm no for me anyway. Of course, we can't be objective voices here, but the idea of anyone, regardless of status, trying to fill in for Joe is utterly inconceivable to me. And as neither Mick nor Paul would ever be open to it, I suspect it will ever remain in the domain of fantasy anyway.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Could? sure
Should? no
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Definitely not. No Joe, no Clash. Also, they wouldn't be able to match their previous energy, so it would just be a letdown.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Plus, the only way they'd get to be a main stage headliner at Glastonbury would be to have Bruce or some other mega star stand in for Joe. Otherwise, they're down the card or maybe headlining one of the lesser stages. Never into it anyway, but that just puts me even further off it.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

They should only try to pull it off if they get that weird Clash III idea Bernie was cooking up in 86 going.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
28 Jun 2022, 4:32pm
They should only try to pull it off if they get that weird Clash III idea Bernie was cooking up in 86 going.
Or his "Bernie's Kids" idea from a few years back. I'm all in if we could get a drunk James up there playing tambourine and snarling all punk-like.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
28 Jun 2022, 4:32pm
Remember his “no brothers in The Clash” rule.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Maybe with Elvis Costello. I thought he did a great job singing London Calling at the RnR Hall of Fame tribute.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Call themselves "Post-Clash"; have auditions and get someone good from an audition to sing lead.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Nope. Let It rest.

What we really need is a full curation of the archives.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 5:04am
Nope. Let It rest.

Here! Here!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Turn Marky loose on their archives. I'm serious here. He's got skill plus he operates out of love of the music, not ego.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 7:23am
Heston wrote:
Turn Marky loose on their archives. I'm serious here. He's got skill plus he operates out of love of the music, not ego.
Hell, yeah!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Jun 2022, 7:23am
Heston wrote:
I'd get right behind that but he probably hasn't got the right letters after his name.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board