Ramones style Clash deluxes?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Spencey
Dirty Punk

Ramones style Clash deluxes?

Post by Spencey »

Do any if you have those Ramones or Replacements deluxe boxes? 12"x12" hardback, booklet with good liner notes and essays, a couple of CDs with demos, alt mixes, outtakes and a live show. To top it off a vinyl with an alternative version of the album made up of different mixes and/or takes.

I have Ramones, Leave Home and Sorry Ma. I personally love this format of deluxes and just imagine if we had that for each album by The Clash.

I'm no way knowledgeable enough about Clash outtakes/demos to be able to successfully compile a Ramones style deluxe but definitely intrigued enough to ask the question.

So, what would be on your deluxe The Clash s/t? What would be on the bonus discs? What would the live show/s be and finally, what would be the alternative version of the album to be pressed on vinyl?

chocolatejesus
Dirty Punk

Re: Ramones style Clash deluxes?

Post by chocolatejesus »

Last edited by chocolatejesus on 20 Jun 2022, 10:20am, edited 1 time in total.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

“Wouldn’t it be great if The Clash did good reissues like (insert any other legacy band)?”
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Y'all, there must be hours and hours of queuing audience chatter for future repackaging. Keep saving your pennies.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 10:47am
Y'all, there must be hours and hours of queuing audience chatter for future repackaging. Keep saving your pennies.
Ha ha, we can only hope!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 10:47am
I'm waiting for "Outside Motor City Roller Rink".
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Spencey wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 1:32am
So, what would be on your deluxe The Clash s/t? What would be on the bonus discs? What would the live show/s be and finally, what would be the alternative version of the album to be pressed on vinyl?
Well, in a parallel universe, the Clash back catalogue got swept up into the Rhino Records camp (as per the Ramones and Replacements, which us why they got those reissues in that similar format - which are nicely done, I agree) and 'The Clash' got a matching hardback reissue box set with outtakes galore we've never heard - alternate takes, studio chat, etc etc.
Add to that, the relevant singles, including the Capital Radio freebie
The Polydor demos
The Beaconsfield studios demos
Maybe a DVD of Julien Temple's early footage, the Don Letts super 8mm footage, the Sussex University 77 live footage , Manchester Belle Vue 77 (Granada TV) footage, maybe the French TV 28/9/77 appearance if there's space.

You could include the Roundhouse 76 gig, for the songs they later ditched, although the atmosphere is a bit subdued. 'Cardiff' (Leicester) 77 may be a better snapshot of the band in their White Riot prime.

For the 'alternate' LP they could use extra live versions from other gigs - in fact, just use this bootleg LP
https://www.discogs.com/release/1243327 ... m-Reworked

To be fair, we've got the bulk of that on official releases - Sound System has it all except the live stuff and the two TV appearances, and the Granada stuff is available on some DVD or other I'm sure.
Maybe we could reimagine the Ramones and Replacements reissues as Sound System-style boxes?!
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

JohnS wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 1:13pm
Spencey wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 1:32am
Well, in a parallel universe, the Clash back catalogue got swept up into the Rhino Records camp (as per the Ramones and Replacements, which us why they got those reissues in that similar format - which are nicely done, I agree) and 'The Clash' got a matching hardback reissue box set with outtakes galore we've never heard - alternate takes, studio chat, etc etc.
Add to that, the relevant singles, including the Capital Radio freebie
The Polydor demos
The Beaconsfield studios demos
Maybe a DVD of Julien Temple's early footage, the Don Letts super 8mm footage, the Sussex University 77 live footage , Manchester Belle Vue 77 (Granada TV) footage, maybe the French TV 28/9/77 appearance if there's space.

You could include the Roundhouse 76 gig, for the songs they later ditched, although the atmosphere is a bit subdued. 'Cardiff' (Leicester) 77 may be a better snapshot of the band in their White Riot prime.

For the 'alternate' LP they could use extra live versions from other gigs - in fact, just use this bootleg LP
https://www.discogs.com/release/1243327 ... m-Reworked

To be fair, we've got the bulk of that on official releases - Sound System has it all except the live stuff and the two TV appearances, and the Granada stuff is available on some DVD or other I'm sure.
Maybe we could reimagine the Ramones and Replacements reissues as Sound System-style boxes?!
Munich footage would be quite welcome on a box like this too.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Kory wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 4:45pm
Munich footage would be quite welcome on a box like this too.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.
We've had a load of stuff officially released, considering, for the 1977 era
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

The Ramones "Sound System" style boxset would be insanely expensive considering just how much extra material is spread across the deluxe versions of their first 4 studio albums and It's Alive. I'm glad they didn't take that approach.

Maybe there's just not enough quality bonus material (sound wise) to warrant the Sire style boxes.

It seems Ramones fans have had it pretty good.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Sound System is remastered brilliantly. The Ramones box sets are not they are brickwalled. Be careful what you wish for.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »