Wildlife Encounters

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 7:01pm
Sparky wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 6:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 6:24pm
Sparky wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 8:27am
I think I've mentioned before that I use our Air Miles account for getting things I wouldn't actually spend money on. I saw that we had enough miles to get an outdoor security camera, which I thought would be kinda neat to see kind of wildlife comes thru at night (including, of course, racoons). Yesterday was Night 1. Wake up this morning, three clips recorded. Cool! Clip #1: bug flies by, activates the recording. Clip #2: bug flies by, activates the recording. Clip #3: bug flies by, activates the recording. Hmmmm …
I like to check our doorbell cam each morning to see what was wandering around our porch overnight and more often than not it's some pesky moth or a spider crawling across the camera.
So I should expect more of the same? Well … at least I didn't pay any money for this thing.
We pay a monthly subscription to save up to 7 days recordings, otherwise we can only see real time movements. We've seen a coyote, multiple racoons and opossums as well as the neighborhood cats and dogs.
Ours has a micro SD card, so no additional cost there. If I see a coyote was in our yard, I'll shit. I'm fine with racoons, skunks (our next-door neighbour's dog got sprayed a couple weeks ago in their yard during a late-night pee) and groundhogs, but coyotes? Nuh-uh.
I'm interested, can you post or PM me the make and model? We've been wanting to add some cameras, but not at an additional fee per month for each one.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 7:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 6:09pm

I like to check our doorbell cam each morning to see what was wandering around our porch overnight and more often than not it's some pesky moth or a spider crawling across the camera.
So I should expect more of the same? Well … at least I didn't pay any money for this thing.
We pay a monthly subscription to save up to 7 days recordings, otherwise we can only see real time movements. We've seen a coyote, multiple racoons and opossums as well as the neighborhood cats and dogs.
Ours has a micro SD card, so no additional cost there. If I see a coyote was in our yard, I'll shit. I'm fine with racoons, skunks (our next-door neighbour's dog got sprayed a couple weeks ago in their yard during a late-night pee) and groundhogs, but coyotes? Nuh-uh.
I'm interested, can you post or PM me the make and model? We've been wanting to add some cameras, but not at an additional fee per month for each one.
It's a Eufy. The earlier one that we got to see whether our cat was peeing on a couch is an Arenti, and also has a slot for a micro SD. The Eufy has a microphone and speaker in them (which we've deactivated), but I thought the Arenti was easier to set up and, especially, schedule.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 7:45pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's a Eufy. The earlier one that we got to see whether our cat was peeing on a couch is an Arenti, and also has a slot for a micro SD. The Eufy has a microphone and speaker in them (which we've deactivated), but I thought the Arenti was easier to set up and, especially, schedule.
Thanks, looking in to both of them now.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 8:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

It kinda blows me away how cheap these things are. I paid less for the Arenti than I would a bottle of mid-range bourbon. I should say, tho, that the Eufy does have to be plugged into an outlet, which is a bit of a drawback. If I were serious and paying out of pocket, I'd look into something with solar-charging capabilities.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 8:33pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It kinda blows me away how cheap these things are. I paid less for the Arenti than I would a bottle of mid-range bourbon. I should say, tho, that the Eufy does have to be plugged into an outlet, which is a bit of a drawback. If I were serious and paying out of pocket, I'd look into something with solar-charging capabilities.
A few years back I purchased some outdoor cameras & a network recorder / HDD but the prospect of having to run 120v power to each one made it a deal breaker, so they're still sitting in the boxes....yeah, I procrastinated.

My sister and BIL installed battery powered outdoor cameras, but they haven't had them long enough yet to determine how long the batteries will actually last. Solar with a battery backup would really be ideal.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 8:54pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 8:33pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

A few years back I purchased some outdoor cameras & a network recorder / HDD but the prospect of having to run 120v power to each one made it a deal breaker, so they're still sitting in the boxes....yeah, I procrastinated.

My sister and BIL installed battery powered outdoor cameras, but they haven't had them long enough yet to determine how long the batteries will actually last. Solar with a battery backup would really be ideal.
We have some cheapo LED lights on the deck that are solar-powered and come on at dusk (and brighten at detecting movement). Now, that’s definitely low power requirement, but I’m pleased with it. Eliminating wires wherever possible is a minor obsession of mine.

But I suppose you could potentially mix and match, hooking up a solar-collecting battery to a wired camera. Maybe that rescues your original outdoor camera set-up?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.reddit.com/r/aww/comments/v ... ce_treaty/

(Also, a few days ago, our outdoor cam caught a racoon trying, and failing, to get onto our deck. Reservations only, Bandit!)

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jul 2022, 2:26pm

(Also, a few days ago, our outdoor cam caught a racoon trying, and failing, to get onto our deck. Reservations only, Bandit!)
Very cute, but teaching them bad habits that could get them euthanized. :ohboy:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
15 Jul 2022, 6:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

They don't kill drive-thru drones for giving it free food!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Jul 2022, 7:36pm
Sparky wrote:
15 Jul 2022, 6:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

They don't kill drive-thru drones for giving it free food!
Yep, the guy feeding them is problem, but hey, it was cute to watch.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Whole lotta racoon action in our backyard this morning around 6.30. Three young 'uns hanging around our door and on the stairs to the upper deck (as well as on the neighbours' lower roof). Came right up to the door, unconcerned about the freaked-out cats on the inside. My racoon-proofing of the deck—the plastic spike strips—have been fully effective in avoiding a repeat of the unpleasantness of mid-May.

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

We have one, possibly two coyotes roaming our residential neighborhood in St. Paul, Minn.

Small houses with small yards (~50 foot wide plots) and apartment buildings (mostly 8-plexes) make up most of the neighborhood, but there are railroad tracks and a switching yard nearby, a small forest and a fen, plus we are adjacent to the U of MN agriculture campus, which has big swaths of land with experimental crops and pastures for grazing animals.

So that is the habitat that probably first drew these coyotes into our area.

I hope they reduce our runaway rabbit population, but I am going to be very attentive when I let our cat outside (on a leash, of course).
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Spiff wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 2:35pm
We have one, possibly two coyotes roaming our residential neighborhood in St. Paul, Minn.

Small houses with small yards (~50 foot wide plots) and apartment buildings (mostly 8-plexes) make up most of the neighborhood, but there are railroad tracks and a switching yard nearby, a small forest and a fen, plus we are adjacent to the U of MN agriculture campus, which has big swaths of land with experimental crops and pastures for grazing animals.

I hope they reduce our runaway rabbit population, but I am going to be very attentive when I let our cat outside (on a leash, of course).
Last year in Ottawa, there were a series of mutilated cat bodies found in a short period, which led people to believe there was a sick fuck at work. Autopsies and other investigation indicated it was coyotes. So, yeah, definitely be careful with your kitty cat.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 2:46pm
Spiff wrote:

Last year in Ottawa, there were a series of mutilated cat bodies found in a short period, which led people to believe there was a sick fuck at work. Autopsies and other investigation indicated it was coyotes. So, yeah, definitely be careful with your kitty cat.
Not metalheads?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 6:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 2:46pm
Spiff wrote:

Not metalheads?
This is Canada, not Norway, man.