Joe Strummer 002 coming soon

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Joe Strummer 002 coming soon

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 4:00pm
A friend owns this CD-R and allowed me to take pics. I didn’t listen to it. Looks like these tracks didn’t make the cut for 002. They’re not even demos, but “roughs” of demos.

Joe Strummer – Rock Art and the X-Ray Style Roughs of Demos CD-R 1.JPG

Joe Strummer – Rock Art and the X-Ray Style Roughs of Demos CD-R 2.JPG
Your friend seriously needs to remove that sticky label on the disc. I doubt very much it will play otherwise. Place the disc in some hot water and soak it off.

Great he has it though and thanks for sharing the pics.😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 4:22pm
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
A friend of mine owns this CD-R and allowed me to take pics. I didn’t listen to it. Looks like these tracks didn’t make the cut for 002. They’re not even demos, but “roughs” of demos.

Your friend seriously needs to remove that sticky label on the disc. I doubt very much it will play otherwise. Place the disc in some hot water and soak it off.

That’s an interesting point. I vaguely recall that CD labels could prevent discs from playing, and the crease in the label is probably not good. It’s now considered memorabilia and not necessarily for playing.

Welcome.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

I'll always be excited for a new Meskies release. Really looking forward to these demos and unreleased tracks, especially Secret Agent Man and Fantastic. I've pined for those Streetcore sessions for two decades now. The stripped down arrangement of the Road to Rock n Roll demo is awesome. I'd love to have a whole album of demos in that vein.

But as much as a I love the classic tracks, they have been released how many times now? Johnny Appleseed has been on Global A Go Go, The Future is Unwritten, The Hellcat Years, 001, Assembly, 002... I know ole Johnny is a ramblin man, but even he needs a rest from time to time.

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

laxman wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 5:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 4:55pm
Telecaster wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 4:43pm
Wasn't there a lost tape from the Richard Norris/Strummer sessions? I think it had versions of Diggin the New and War Cry. Hopefully, stuff like this would make 003
Yes it was posted here a while back. The tracks merged into each other. I bet Norro has the originals.

Well worth a listen, plus lots of other great shows on there.
Is there a simple way of capturing the audio in a mp3 format of this?
Or shouldn't I be asking?

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

laxman wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 5:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 4:55pm
Telecaster wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 4:43pm
Wasn't there a lost tape from the Richard Norris/Strummer sessions? I think it had versions of Diggin the New and War Cry. Hopefully, stuff like this would make 003
Yes it was posted here a while back. The tracks merged into each other. I bet Norro has the originals.

Well worth a listen, plus lots of other great shows on there.
Very cool version of Road to RNR in that.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Low Down Low wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 5:12pm
CorwoodRep wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 4:24pm
Disappointed there doesn't seem to be new stuff. Would have killed for a soundboard or demo of his last two songs, but if they're not here I suppose they don't exist. Even that Secret Agent Man track leaked a couple years ago. Anybody know what "Fantastic" is?
Open to correction but I think it's Ramshackle Day Parade or some iteration of it.
That's my impression, too. If I recall, either Ramshackle Day Parade is called Fantastic in the liner notes for Streetcore, or the title Fantastic is evoked in some way in relation to RDP?I don't have my copy of Streetcore handy and the discogs images are too small to read.

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Re: Joe Strummer 002 coming soon?

Post by appleseed1 »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 1:15pm
Heston wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 1:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 12:57pm
Heston wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 12:53pm
Low Down Low wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 12:13pm

"...an entire collection of covers of Fifties rock classics like Gene Vincent’s “Be-Bop-a-Lula,” Buddy Holly’s “Rave On,” and Bill Monroe’s Elvis-associated “Blue Moon of Kentucky.”

Jesus, I can't wait for 003!
They need to get a move on rather than waiting four years between releases. As Lucinda says, no one is getting any younger.

I'm interested in what Joe was recording between 1983 and 1985. There is more where Czechoslovak Song came from.
Yeah I'm sure there is. But c'mon 10 demos and a couple of outtakes from 100 tapes is small pickings. Fans have those Meskies albums already. Are they remastered?
They are mate.

Yeah, why not just get the lot out there once it's done. All the Meskies records sounded sonically great anyway, it's not like any drastic action is needed.
I agree not much to do with the Meskies stuff. I'm just glad there's a separate cd. I don't need those vinyl albums. The booklets are usually good. But not essential.

And yes why not get a really great box set out with all the demos and outtakes instead of making us buy stuff over and over. Same old story...
Agreed. I have no use for the albums we all bought back then. Just give us the unreleased stuff. Come on.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 5:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 4:22pm
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
A friend of mine owns this CD-R and allowed me to take pics. I didn’t listen to it. Looks like these tracks didn’t make the cut for 002. They’re not even demos, but “roughs” of demos.

That’s an interesting point. I vaguely recall that CD labels could prevent discs from playing, and the crease in the label is probably not good. It’s now considered memorabilia and not necessarily for playing.

Welcome.
Marky is right - that paper label with its heavy crease may well mean the CDR won't even *load* in a CD player or disc drive, let alone play back correctly. I have several CD-Rs and DVD-Rs with adhesive labels attached, made years ago when such labels were a cool new gimmick, which won't play back now.
In addition to any creases, the label's adhesive gunk starts to leach into the disc playing surface, and affects how a laser reads the data.
Regardless of the memorabilia value - and I respect your pal's intention to keep the contents private - let's hope he transferred the music files for safekeeping somewhere.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

msza2 wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 8:23pm
Low Down Low wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 5:12pm
CorwoodRep wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 4:24pm
Disappointed there doesn't seem to be new stuff. Would have killed for a soundboard or demo of his last two songs, but if they're not here I suppose they don't exist. Even that Secret Agent Man track leaked a couple years ago. Anybody know what "Fantastic" is?
Open to correction but I think it's Ramshackle Day Parade or some iteration of it.
That's my impression, too. If I recall, either Ramshackle Day Parade is called Fantastic in the liner notes for Streetcore, or the title Fantastic is evoked in some way in relation to RDP?I don't have my copy of Streetcore handy and the discogs images are too small to read.
Could be wrong but I've always assumed the working title was indicative of what Joe thought of the song. And it was indeed a good one, just needed another verse or two to fully flesh it out, I think. Look forward to hearing it either way.

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: Joe Strummer 002 coming soon?

Post by APACHES67 »

appleseed1 wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 8:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 1:15pm
Heston wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 1:06pm
Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 12:57pm
Heston wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 12:53pm

They need to get a move on rather than waiting four years between releases. As Lucinda says, no one is getting any younger.

I'm interested in what Joe was recording between 1983 and 1985. There is more where Czechoslovak Song came from.
Yeah I'm sure there is. But c'mon 10 demos and a couple of outtakes from 100 tapes is small pickings. Fans have those Meskies albums already. Are they remastered?
They are mate.

Yeah, why not just get the lot out there once it's done. All the Meskies records sounded sonically great anyway, it's not like any drastic action is needed.
I agree not much to do with the Meskies stuff. I'm just glad there's a separate cd. I don't need those vinyl albums. The booklets are usually good. But not essential.

And yes why not get a really great box set out with all the demos and outtakes instead of making us buy stuff over and over. Same old story...
Agreed. I have no use for the albums we all bought back then. Just give us the unreleased stuff. Come on.
I'm totally agree with you....the demos, alternates and outtakes material must be sold separated from the official release of a band. Yes no one forces me to buy a box with a lot of songs i already have, but i'm a fan, i Wanna collect all the unedit material of My favourite band.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Mark^Bastard wrote:
28 Jul 2022, 1:09am
I'm excited about this and will definitely buy it.

Thought it's somewhat annoying that 002 has taken this approach when 001 didn't.

For example, 002 now makes 001 more annoying for trying to be too much. I never liked the Mescelaros tracks that made it to 001 despite being on somewhat recently released and easy to get albums. Is it a basic compilation or a nice collection of rare and hard to get stuff? Even tracks like Trash City I had listened to a million times but never really owned on an album I would bother listening to. Then we only had one song from Earthquake Weather, which is the kind of album that actually deserved a remaster.

So if the 002 approach was taken with 001 it would have perhaps been better? Include the entirety of Earthquake Weather and Walker for example, remastered.

Anyway this is pretty good, I don't think I own one of those albums on vinyl yet, and I like that the album tracks and bonus stuff are cleanly separated.
Good point. Now that we know that 002 is a deep dive into the Mescaleros period, it seems that 001 should have been a more definitive look at the 'wilderness years.' But maybe the idea was to start off with an overarching greatest hits with 001, and then 003 will be the wilderness years deep dive?

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

A full release of soundtracks would be good, including When Pigs Fly and all of Permanent Record.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

laxman wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 5:14pm
A full release of soundtracks would be good, including When Pigs Fly and all of Permanent Record.
Hell yeah. I wouldn't expect all alleged 9 hours of WPF recordings, just half would do. And maybe some Walker outtakes while we're at it!

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

laxman wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 5:14pm
Yep. I'd love to get a deep exploration of these soundtracks! I love the Dylan bootleg series, so I want the warts and all.

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Back in 2009, someone posted the following working tracklist for what would become Streetcore.

1:Get Down Moses
2:Boxwood Motel (Arms Aloft in Aberdeen)
3:Fantastic
4:Coma Girl
5:London is Burning
6:Secret Agent Man
7:Silver and Gold
8:Midnight Jam

This proto-Streetcore is no Rat Patrol but for a Meskies super fan like me it's pretty close! Looks like with 002 we'll finally have all of this material, so I'm really jazzed about that.

Here's the original thread: https://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1958)