Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: If you really wanna go - alive or dead my friend

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 9:11am
Flex wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 9:03am
If this true (with all the usual caveats of truth being the first casualty in war and so forth), this would seem to be a massive development:

If Russians are genuinely worried about Crimea, then the war is going worse for Russia than I think anyone (except Ukrainians, I guess) imagined at the outset of the war. Conventional wisdom was always that Ukraine didn't stand a chance of even credibly threatening to take back Crimea.

I'll avoid rampant speculation, that's easy enough to find anywhere and I have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about, but it's not hard to start connecting dots between the last few days of news coming out of Ukraine and Russia if you want to.
Whatever the validity of that story, this war has been a complete disaster for Russia because it has been exposed as far from a significant military power. The expectation was that this would be a quick romp. That illusion has been smashed—a Potemkin army. And they can’t even blame it on battlefield conditions, like the US in Vietnam.
I was reading a bit about Gorbachev last week and one of the things cropped up was how slow, apparently, he'd been to disengage with Afghanistan. The explanation given was that Gorby simply didn't know how truly bad things were or how much general decline had set in across all areas of the USSR because nobody informed it. Mostly because they were too afraid to tell the truth lest they get blamed for it or they were simply reactionary zealots who refused to believe it themselves. Anyway, i don't know if that's comparable to now, impossible to think Putin could be similarly ignorant of his side's weaknesses, but a pretty spectacular miscalculation either way you'd have to say.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 2:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
If this true (with all the usual caveats of truth being the first casualty in war and so forth), this would seem to be a massive development:

If Russians are genuinely worried about Crimea, then the war is going worse for Russia than I think anyone (except Ukrainians, I guess) imagined at the outset of the war. Conventional wisdom was always that Ukraine didn't stand a chance of even credibly threatening to take back Crimea.

I'll avoid rampant speculation, that's easy enough to find anywhere and I have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about, but it's not hard to start connecting dots between the last few days of news coming out of Ukraine and Russia if you want to.
Whatever the validity of that story, this war has been a complete disaster for Russia because it has been exposed as far from a significant military power. The expectation was that this would be a quick romp. That illusion has been smashed—a Potemkin army. And they can’t even blame it on battlefield conditions, like the US in Vietnam.
I was reading a bit about Gorbachev last week and one of the things cropped up was how slow, apparently, he'd been to disengage with Afghanistan. The explanation given was that Gorby simply didn't know how truly bad things were or how much general decline had set in across all areas of the USSR because nobody informed it. Mostly because they were too afraid to tell the truth lest they get blamed for it or they were simply reactionary zealots who refused to believe it themselves. Anyway, i don't know if that's comparable to now, impossible to think Putin could be similarly ignorant of his side's weaknesses, but a pretty spectacular miscalculation either way you'd have to say.
Yeah, it's hard to say how bad the rot has set in, as it was when Gorbachev took control, so the degree that Putin might not be aware of conditions is hard to say. He's been portrayed as being all-knowing, all-deciding, but how much of that is to maintain his image as the unchallengeable strongman?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 3:09pm
Low Down Low wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 2:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:

Yeah, it's hard to say how bad the rot has set in, as it was when Gorbachev took control, so the degree that Putin might not be aware of conditions is hard to say. He's been portrayed as being all-knowing, all-deciding, but how much of that is to maintain his image as the unchallengeable strongman?
It seems confusing i think because on the one hand he's portrayed as a strong man who rules with an iron grip and on the other as a bit of a weirdo who virtually lives in a bunker surrounded by sycophants like Medvedev who seems to be fulfilling the Comical Ali role to a tee. Fuck knows where the truth lies and there's the gargantuan levels of hubris to throw in the mix as well.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Low Down Low wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 4:18pm
It seems confusing i think because on the one hand he's portrayed as a strong man who rules with an iron grip and on the other as a bit of a weirdo who virtually lives in a bunker surrounded by sycophants like Medvedev who seems to be fulfilling the Comical Ali role to a tee. Fuck knows where the truth lies and there's the gargantuan levels of hubris to throw in the mix as well.
Yeah, between Russian and Western propaganda both going in both directions it's hard to say for sure. I think I said something like this above, but I think generally authoritarian, and strongman authoritarian specifically, regimes are broadly strong but deeply weak. As in, there's a lot of ability to project strength on the surface, but since there's not really much institutional commitment to you as one person there isn't a deep reservoir of support, loyalty or institutional resilience to draw from when things go bad. Which makes clusterfucks like this war particularly dangerous for a leader like Putin (and then factor in stuff like the recent aziri/Armenian flare-up which further undermines Russia's status on their own backyard). If your power is derived only from the surface-level projection of power you're capable of, it seems like you would get vulnerable real fast in a crisis.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 4:31pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Yeah, between Russian and Western propaganda both going in both directions it's hard to say for sure. I think I said something like this above, but I think generally authoritarian, and strongman authoritarian specifically, regimes are broadly strong but deeply weak. As in, there's a lot of ability to project strength on the surface, but since there's not really much institutional commitment to you as one person there isn't a deep reservoir of support, loyalty or institutional resilience to draw from when things go bad. Which makes clusterfucks like this war particularly dangerous for a leader like Putin (and then factor in stuff like the recent aziri/Armenian flare-up which further undermines Russia's status on their own backyard). If your power is derived only from the surface-level projection of power you're capable of, it seems like you would get vulnerable real fast in a crisis.
I think this is similar to the fool idea that a good CEO makes a good governor. It seems a good mob boss is equally ill suited to be a steward of government. You can only keep ‘em all in line if they have full bellies. They always forgets this and it really does bite you in the ass at some point.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 10:48pm
Flex wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I think this is similar to the fool idea that a good CEO makes a good governor. It seems a good mob boss is equally ill suited to be a steward of government. You can only keep ‘em all in line if they have full bellies. They always forgets this and it really does bite you in the ass at some point.
An old prof of mine called this "roast beef or revolution."
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 6:10am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Flex wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I haven't had any red meat in months. I'm ready to abandon the revolution for a roast beef sandwich.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 3:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Flex wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I haven't had any red meat in months. I'm ready to abandon the revolution for a roast beef sandwich.

Traitor!

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 6:28pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Flex wrote:

Traitor!
No, I'll eat it. I want to eat it. I will eat it again.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 6:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Traitor!
What's that fucking sauce oozing out of it? Is that an Arby's sandwich or something?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Traitor!
And we will eat you for the pleasure of shitting you out!

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 8:03pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Traitor!
I am fibrous!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 8:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

Traitor!
I am fibrous!
You will spend eternity in an outhouse pit.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 8:06pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Traitor!
I am fibrous!
I can't tell you how titillating this is for me. Coprophilia is my kink.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 8:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Sep 2022, 8:06pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:

I am fibrous!
I can't tell you how titillating this is for me. Coprophilia is my kink.
Supposedly Hitler liked to have prostitutes piss and shit on him.