Joe Strummer 002 coming soon

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Joe Strummer 002 coming soon

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 Sep 2022, 11:58am
Heston wrote:
21 Sep 2022, 11:19am
Where can I hear the demo disc if I haven't got Spotify? Cheers.
I thought you could listen on spotify free without a subscription but not sure. I think most of em are up on You Tube though.
As far as I can tell you get a small sample of tracks.

I'm sorted now anyway, thanks to a couple of kind PMs.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Telecaster wrote:
21 Sep 2022, 2:28pm
Marky, are the problems with brickwalling associated with Assembly and 002, a trend in remastering? Paul Hicks seems to have an impressive CV and he remastered both projects.

I haven't played my cd's yet and I must admit my hearing is knackered. The book is a lovely item full of lyric sheet reproductions and recollections from Joe's bandmates.
Amazon are selling it for £54.43 at the moment.
Yes I believe so.

Here's the screen grab from the box set by McHarg III. The Wav is pushed up to the max.
Attachments
Time and Tide [McHarg].png
Last edited by Marky Dread on 21 Sep 2022, 2:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

And this is how I would like it to look. Marky's mix.

Here's an upload of my mix of "Time and Tide" just for comparison purposes.

https://mega.nz/file/2rxyTYbY#EK-_IVqPI ... 6x38mP7pQ0
Attachments
Time and Tide [Marky].png

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

Its a shame that Dark Horse haven't gone for a sympathetic, remaster. Thank you for the comparison.
Its good to have some positive Joe vibes to get us through the winter, distorted or not.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 Sep 2022, 2:53pm
Telecaster wrote:
Marky, are the problems with brickwalling associated with Assembly and 002, a trend in remastering? Paul Hicks seems to have an impressive CV and he remastered both projects.

I haven't played my cd's yet and I must admit my hearing is knackered. The book is a lovely item full of lyric sheet reproductions and recollections from Joe's bandmates.
Yes I believe so.

Here's the screen grab from the box set by McHarg III. The Wav is pushed up to the max.
Why in the name of god do they do this!

We have a volume control.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
21 Sep 2022, 4:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Telecaster wrote:

Yes I believe so.

That's it mate. There's really no need. The only theory I can come up with is maybe it makes it sound louder on vinyl possibly.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Equaliser
Dirty Punk

Post by Equaliser »

Marky I think you accidently loaded the same image twice as they look the same to me?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Equaliser wrote:
21 Sep 2022, 5:44pm
Marky I think you accidently loaded the same image twice as they look the same to me?
They are different mate. Are you viewing on your phone?

You will notice in the first image the Wav pattern is virtually touching the threshold and the top edge of the Wav is all level.

The second image shows more space above and below the Wav pattern and there are way more peaks and troughs.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Low Down Low wrote:
21 Sep 2022, 10:09am
Good post, think i would share the majority of those observations. I like SAM a lot and while the demos are nothing particularly special, I'm just happy to have them. Cool N Out is probably the stand out for me. Really dig the baritone sax throughout and the lines from Tony Adams are interesting, suggests to me this was someone (likely Slatto) just goofing around at the controls rather than actually seriously working on the finished product. Whatever, i really like what emerged from it anyway.
Agreed on Cool N Out. The outro is awesome. I wonder why they cut it -- so they could fit all 17 minutes of Minstrel Boy on the CD?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

msza2 wrote:
21 Sep 2022, 8:18pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Good post, think i would share the majority of those observations. I like SAM a lot and while the demos are nothing particularly special, I'm just happy to have them. Cool N Out is probably the stand out for me. Really dig the baritone sax throughout and the lines from Tony Adams are interesting, suggests to me this was someone (likely Slatto) just goofing around at the controls rather than actually seriously working on the finished product. Whatever, i really like what emerged from it anyway.
Agreed on Cool N Out. The outro is awesome. I wonder why they cut it -- so they could fit all 17 minutes of Minstrel Boy on the CD?
I get distinct Rat Patrol vibes about the Cool N Out demo, it's great, but i guess they were a bit short of short, sharp rockers on the album and that's the one that fitted the bill i reckon. The finished track does have the raw power the demo lacks. Minstrel Boy is more a Sandinista!-like than RP-like indulgence, not sure where the concept came from, but I've always been ok with it, still play it every once in a while.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 2:08am
msza2 wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I get distinct Rat Patrol vibes about the Cool N Out demo, it's great, but i guess they were a bit short of short, sharp rockers on the album and that's the one that fitted the bill i reckon. The finished track does have the raw power the demo lacks. Minstrel Boy is more a Sandinista!-like than RP-like indulgence, not sure where the concept came from, but I've always been ok with it, still play it every once in a while.
The Black Hawk Down version of Minstrel Boy is best. That long version does little for me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 4:05am
Low Down Low wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 2:08am
msza2 wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
The Black Hawk Down version of Minstrel Boy is best. That long version does little for me.
I think they did a really good production job on it considering it doesn't really seem to quite suit Joe's vocal range.

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Telecaster wrote:

Yes I believe so.

Not only do we have volume control, but with streaming and mp3 players most people will be listening with loudness normalisation, so they are really giving up dynamic range for no reason.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
And this is how I would like it to look. Marky's mix.

Here's an upload of my mix of "Time and Tide" just for comparison purposes.

https://mega.nz/file/2rxyTYbY#EK-_IVqPI ... 6x38mP7pQ0
Just when I think I've heard all of your extensive catalogue, up pops something else I've missed in the shape of 'Time and Tide'!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Mark^Bastard wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 7:20am
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Telecaster wrote:

Yes I believe so.

Not only do we have volume control, but with streaming and mp3 players most people will be listening with loudness normalisation, so they are really giving up dynamic range for no reason.
Yeah. I've said it on here before, but brickwalling kicked off so songs would punch through on the radio, then continued to compensation for the loss of detail you get from mp3s. When are these going to be played on the radio? Thoughtless dogma.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/