Clash busking in Edinburgh

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Clash busking in Edinburgh

Post by white man »

New to me

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Clash busking in Edinburgh

Post by Kory »

white man wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 3:40pm
New to me
Nick seems really into it, I feel bad for him.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Equaliser
Dirty Punk

Post by Equaliser »

That is new to me as well! Thanks for sharing that, interesting to see. I was let down that there were no break dance moves by Paul though.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Equaliser wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 4:04pm
That is new to me as well! Thanks for sharing that, interesting to see. I was let down that there were no break dance moves by Paul though.
Joe does his level best to make up for it. Seems a bit wired there but very entertaining and songs don't sound too bad.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Holy shit this is cool. I only knew if that 85 festival and that short snippet from Entertainment Tonight in early 84. I’ve never seen Joe like this but it’s so cool.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Love it - classic comedy when Joe hangs upside down from the gate and then the two doors open!

Also, sounds great - somehow makes me hate Bernie/Cut the Crap even more.

Finally, shout out to Ralph - I finally read the final chapters of We Are The Clash this summer and I've got to say how much I loved the interviews with the band members and others, and the re-telling of the busking tour was so well done and quite touching actually.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Amazing!

Nice to see them having a good time after what sounds like a miserable year-and-a-half.

Love Joe hamming it up for the camera as well.

vrouwenverwarmer
Dirty Punk

Post by vrouwenverwarmer »

This is really great, I've been waiting for this for 37 (!) years. why wasn't this uploaded before? are there any more recordings like this?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Amazing...just amazing.

Two songs that show the lyrical and melodic worth of this line up, unencumbered by Bernie's madness.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 6:05pm
Amazing...just amazing.

Two songs that show the lyrical and melodic worth of this line up, unencumbered by Bernie's madness.
Yeah it's great that the two tracks recorded are both CTC tracks.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

cat
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by cat »

Amazing footage, and really great renditions of both songs, Thankfully, Kosmo wasn’t there to have the camera switched off.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

North and South really does sound quite good there, have always thought it wasn't a bad tune but could never quite get with it without being able to put my finger on it. Nice to at least have this take on it.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I never knew anyone who had a camcorder until 1988 so we are lucky to have this.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

white man wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 3:40pm
New to me
I think it's new to everyone here. Just Amazing. Probably The Clash were the first famous Group to go around busking, and maybe the only to play among the folks, on the road, bars, pubs, underground and without a manager a promoter and without a plan. I love this. Thanks For the eternity to share this video. This is a Great lesson... without People you are nothing, stay close with the people

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

drowninghere wrote:
28 Sep 2022, 5:29pm
Love it - classic comedy when Joe hangs upside down from the gate and then the two doors open!
I laughed out loud, especially the close-up of him still singing as he was spilling onto the pavement.

Awesome video.