Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Thread O'Booze REVISED!

Post by Low Down Low »

revbob wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 7:58am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 7:43am
revbob wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 7:36am
Although if you start early enough and pace yourself 10/day is doable I imagine.
Roughly a drink every hour and a half from when you get up to go to bed. Doable for a while, I guess, but, damn, that's a young man's liver's game.
Yeah scientifically possible but also doing that every day? Better switch to the cheap stuff too as that getting costly.
I would guess that is pretty much what "functioning" alcoholics do, otherwise i can't see how anyone could get through the day. It's a concept i could never grasp, drinking and functioning to any acceptable professional level were never compatible for me.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 7:26am
Low Down Low wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 7:20am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 6:55am
Um, holy fudge?
Just can't compute those figures. 10 drinks a day is roughly the equivalent of a bottle of vodka, whisky, gin etc, right? I know there are folk who drink more than that, but 10% of the population? That's eye-popping if true. Even in my hardest drinking years, i wouldn't have lived a month on that regime.
The definition of a drink must be very small. I remember in a history class, being told that Voltaire drank, like, 50 cups of coffee a day, which made everyone gasp. But then we found out they were tiny, tiny cups. It was still a lot of coffee but it wasn't a conveyor belt of the stuff.
Typically a drink is referred to as a shot, a beer, or a glass of wine, all roughly the equivalent of one oz of alcohol.

10/day is crazy. Th resulting hangover would lead me to not drink again for at least a week.

Although if you start early enough and pace yourself 10/day is doable I imagine.
I guess it’s the notion that 10% of the population are pretty serious alcoholics that I don’t buy. I don’t know a single person that drinks THAT heavily. The source seems a little suspect too based on the Amazon reviews.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 8:55am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Um, holy fudge?
Just can't compute those figures. 10 drinks a day is roughly the equivalent of a bottle of vodka, whisky, gin etc, right? I know there are folk who drink more than that, but 10% of the population? That's eye-popping if true. Even in my hardest drinking years, i wouldn't have lived a month on that regime.
The definition of a drink must be very small. I remember in a history class, being told that Voltaire drank, like, 50 cups of coffee a day, which made everyone gasp. But then we found out they were tiny, tiny cups. It was still a lot of coffee but it wasn't a conveyor belt of the stuff.
Typically a drink is referred to as a shot, a beer, or a glass of wine, all roughly the equivalent of one oz of alcohol.

10/day is crazy. Th resulting hangover would lead me to not drink again for at least a week.

I guess it’s the notion that 10% of the population are pretty serious alcoholics that I don’t buy. I don’t know a single person that drinks THAT heavily. The source seems a little suspect too based on the Amazon reviews.
Everything looks suspicious when you think about it! :naughty:
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I imagine it's all self-reported as well, which makes the data probably kinda garbage. Could be in both directions too tho. "one serving of alcohol" has a standard meaning but in real life almost no one bases their consumption decisions on an accurate measurement of, like, how many actual measured serving of alcohol they're having. It's easy to imagine that the people who are drinking a lot are actually drinking even more than what they're reporting because there's a a great chance you don't REALLY know how many servings of alcohol you're having in a drinking session. And that's not even getting into people's own sense of self-delusion. I know when my drinking was at its worst, I'd have said to anyone who asked that I was drinking much less than I really was because lots of people tell themselves lies that fit the self-conception that they want to have about themselves. I'm honestly a little skeptical of the like .63 drinks per week type crowd.

All that said, like everyone else, i literally can't imagine 73.85 drinks per week. Even when I was hitting it the hardest, I don't think I was getting those numbers.

Anyways, 8th and 9th decile seems like the fun crowd.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

matedog wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 8:55am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Um, holy fudge?

A lot of drunks hide it very well. This graph is a bit misleading I think. A martini has about 3 oz of booze in it, is that three drinks? A beer can be 12 oz. or 16 oz and 4.5% ABV or 10% ABV. Wine pours are all over the place. What is a drink?

I enjoy a drink now and again, beer in particular. 10 real full drinks a day would kill me

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

There's a reason liquor stores were allowed to stay open during the initial covid shutdown a couple years back: public health officials worried (rightly, it seems) that closing those stores for a handful of weeks would result in a mass alcohol withdrawal crisis of such magnitude that our health system wouldn't be able to handle it. Lotta alcoholics out there.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 12:30pm
A lot of drunks hide it very well.
A former friend of mine, as he was speeding to the bottom, was drinking as much as the top bracket—like, a bottle of whisky and a six of beer pretty much every day—and when I'd talk to him on the phone he sounded perfectly sober. The giveaway, he later told me, was the smell. He just oozed booze. (Unless he's relapsed, which I can't see happening, he's a good 15 years sober now.)

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

As I have gotten older, I drink less and less. I just don't enjoy the taste enough and I don't tolerate alcohol well. I still have a beer on occasion, but we are talking maybe four times a year. I would definitely die if I had ten drinks in one day.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 1:38pm
As I have gotten older, I drink less and less. I just don't enjoy the taste enough and I don't tolerate alcohol well. I still have a beer on occasion, but we are talking maybe four times a year. I would definitely die if I had ten drinks in one day.
The Boss doesn't drink that often anymore, and maddeningly will just fucking nurse that one drink all goddamned evening. "I can finish that if you aren't going to …" "No, I'm enjoying it." "You haven't touched it in a half hour!"

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 12:47pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
A former friend of mine, as he was speeding to the bottom, was drinking as much as the top bracket—like, a bottle of whisky and a six of beer pretty much every day—and when I'd talk to him on the phone he sounded perfectly sober. The giveaway, he later told me, was the smell. He just oozed booze. (Unless he's relapsed, which I can't see happening, he's a good 15 years sober now.)
Yeah Ive worked with a few people. The type who go out to their car durimg the day to knock back a bit. I worked in this place where there wwas a high circulation of fresh air but walk into the room and you could smell it immediately even when he was on the other side of the room. When its coming out your very pores its hard to hide.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 2:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Yeah Ive worked with a few people. The type who go out to their car durimg the day to knock back a bit. I worked in this place where there wwas a high circulation of fresh air but walk into the room and you could smell it immediately even when he was on the other side of the room. When its coming out your very pores its hard to hide.
I remember him telling me that his wife said to him, "Ugh, you smell like a brewery." He replied, "No, I smell like a distillery. I'm drinking rye."

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 3:04pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
I remember him telling me that his wife said to him, "Ugh, you smell like a brewery." He replied, "No, I smell like a distillery. I'm drinking rye."
Yeah its usually the boozers, I suppose it could happen with beer but Ive only known it to happen with boozers.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 3:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 3:04pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Yeah its usually the boozers, I suppose it could happen with beer but Ive only known it to happen with boozers.
Less weight gain with liquor—a bit easier to hide your crisis.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
As I recall, that's exactly the Bukowski diet.

I drink between 16–24 glasses a week, which is roughly 2–3 bottles of wine and maybe some shots of bourbon, spread out over three days. I can see the number being as high as it is there because a lot of people use drinking as a hangover cure and then it slippery slopes into full-time status.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 4:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
BostonBeaneater wrote:
As I recall, that's exactly the Bukowski diet.

I drink between 16–24 glasses a week, which is roughly 2–3 bottles of wine and maybe some shots of bourbon, spread out over three days. I can see the number being as high as it is there because a lot of people use drinking as a hangover cure and then it slippery slopes into full-time status.
I cannot fathom that at all. The very very completely ultra last thing my body can take during a hangover is more booze.