WestwayKid wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 10:38am
Low Down Low wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 7:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 6:25pm
Low Down Low wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 5:28pm
Good news for begrudging Morrissey fans: he is being supported in the British press

Bad news for begrudging Morrissey fans: the author is such a complete reactionary tosspot, he manages to make even Morrissey look woke

Yes, the reason we don't know the name of the latest suicide bomber and spree killer is because of woke cancel culture snowflakery. Doubtless if we quizzed Morrissey or this guy for the names of those behind a dozen of these incidences, they'd have the names handy because they care so much, unlike the rest of us. Jesus fucking Christ.
It's a really dumb comparison they're making anyway as there's always been this weird public fascination with serial killers, as long as they've been a thing. I mean, they're still publishing books about Jack the Ripper over 100 years on. People are just obsessed with this stuff in a way they aren't with other crimes and that's nothing to do with "wokery" or cancel culture or whatever you're having yourself. It's just longstanding human nature.
Morrissey's even written a song about Jack the Ripper ;).
Ha, that figures!

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 10:57am
Southpaw Grammar is kind of the same thing, though the original Southpaw was not as bad as the original Maladjusted. Even so, it's an improvement.
I love Fantastic Bird and especially love Honey You Know Where to Find Me. Quite why they weren't released at the time is a mystery. And I don't know why You Must Please Remember was left off the expanded edition but what do I know?
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

oliver wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 1:20pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Southpaw Grammar is kind of the same thing, though the original Southpaw was not as bad as the original Maladjusted. Even so, it's an improvement.
I love Fantastic Bird and especially love Honey You Know Where to Find Me. Quite why they weren't released at the time is a mystery. And I don't know why You Must Please Remember was left off the expanded edition but what do I know?
Southpaw always felt a bit slight - even with a handful of lengthier tracks - so I appreciated the inclusion of a few more songs.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 12:00pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
11 Oct 2022, 5:28pm
Good news for begrudging Morrissey fans: he is being supported in the British press

Bad news for begrudging Morrissey fans: the author is such a complete reactionary tosspot, he manages to make even Morrissey look woke

Yes, the reason we don't know the name of the latest suicide bomber and spree killer is because of woke cancel culture snowflakery. Doubtless if we quizzed Morrissey or this guy for the names of those behind a dozen of these incidences, they'd have the names handy because they care so much, unlike the rest of us. Jesus fucking Christ.
It's a really dumb comparison they're making anyway as there's always been this weird public fascination with serial killers, as long as they've been a thing. I mean, they're still publishing books about Jack the Ripper over 100 years on. People are just obsessed with this stuff in a way they aren't with other crimes and that's nothing to do with "wokery" or cancel culture or whatever you're having yourself. It's just longstanding human nature.
Ha, that figures!

There's a studio version, too, but I've always preferred the live one from the World of Morrissey comp.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 1:53pm
oliver wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 1:20pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Southpaw always felt a bit slight - even with a handful of lengthier tracks - so I appreciated the inclusion of a few more songs.
Southpaw Grammar is one of my favourites of his; push comes to shove, it might get a slight nod over Viva Hate. Mind you, that was the last album of his I had any time for. Also, "Jack the Ripper" is a dang strong b-side.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 1:56pm
Low Down Low wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 12:00pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Ha, that figures!

There's a studio version, too, but I've always preferred the live one from the World of Morrissey comp.
Musically it's quite good, some nifty guitar work. A quick check tells me it's Morrissey singing as Jack to one of his victims. Interesting choice of subject material.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 3:04pm
A quick check tells me it's Morrissey singing as Jack to one of his victims. Interesting choice of subject material.
Clearly, he was confident that Jack was English and not some dirty foreigner.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:
12 Oct 2022, 1:56pm
I love the live version but it bothers me slightly that Morrissey omits the last verse which makes the studio version even more sinister:
"No-one knows a thing about my life
I can come and go as I please
If I want to I can stay
Or if I want to I can leave
Nobody knows me, nobody knows me,
Ha ha nobody knows me
Ha ha nobody knows me"

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Looks like Jesse Tobias is the new Boz. He seems to be the only real constant in the band now and the new album was recorded with current and ex-members (like himself) of RHCP
Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will release Morrissey’s ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ in February 2023. The album will be released worldwide except for the United Kingdom, where there is no label deal. ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ is produced by Grammy-producer Andrew Watt, and was recorded in Los Angeles. The musicians on the album are Jesse Tobias, Andrew Watt, Josh Klinghoffer (ex-Chili Peppers), and Chad Smith and Flea (both of the Chili Peppers). The album features Miley Cyrus and Iggy Pop on additional vocals

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

oliver wrote:
30 Oct 2022, 8:35pm
Looks like Jesse Tobias is the new Boz. He seems to be the only real constant in the band now and the new album was recorded with current and ex-members (like himself) of RHCP
Capitol Records (Los Angeles) will release Morrissey’s ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ in February 2023. The album will be released worldwide except for the United Kingdom, where there is no label deal. ‘Bonfire of Teenagers’ is produced by Grammy-producer Andrew Watt, and was recorded in Los Angeles. The musicians on the album are Jesse Tobias, Andrew Watt, Josh Klinghoffer (ex-Chili Peppers), and Chad Smith and Flea (both of the Chili Peppers). The album features Miley Cyrus and Iggy Pop on additional vocals
Alain's back, which is awesome. I believe he co-wrote some of the Bonfire tracks with Morrissey. Not sure what happened to Boz, he just appears to have dropped out and gone in a different direction. I've always been a bit tepid in regards to Jesse. He can come up with a good hook now and then, but Alain and Boz will always be tops (after Johnny, of course).

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 11:12am
Alain's back, which is awesome. I believe he co-wrote some of the Bonfire tracks with Morrissey. Not sure what happened to Boz, he just appears to have dropped out and gone in a different direction. I've always been a bit tepid in regards to Jesse. He can come up with a good hook now and then, but Alain and Boz will always be tops (after Johnny, of course).
Interesting... I'm surprised he's not on the album if he co-wrote some of it.

Maybe Boz wants to wind down a bit. I read that his wife was hit hard with covid - maybe has long covid - so it must be stressful to go on tours 1000s of miles away.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

oliver wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 8:24pm
WestwayKid wrote:
31 Oct 2022, 11:12am
Interesting... I'm surprised he's not on the album if he co-wrote some of it.

Maybe Boz wants to wind down a bit. I read that his wife was hit hard with covid - maybe has long covid - so it must be stressful to go on tours 1000s of miles away.
I think I'm mistaken on my facts. It sounds like Alain is co-writing with Morrissey again for his next album. I'm curious as to when Bonfire was recorded? Alain's been back in the live band since maybe the middle of last year (I think). Boz just opened a record shop in Portugal. It doesn't appear that there is any bad blood, so you might be right - just stepping back for personal reasons. I think it was the same when Alain left the first time around.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 9:38am
I think I'm mistaken on my facts. It sounds like Alain is co-writing with Morrissey again for his next album. I'm curious as to when Bonfire was recorded? Alain's been back in the live band since maybe the middle of last year (I think). Boz just opened a record shop in Portugal. It doesn't appear that there is any bad blood, so you might be right - just stepping back for personal reasons. I think it was the same when Alain left the first time around.
From https://www.morrisseycentral.com/messag ... ey/page/18
The Morrissey concerts in Las Vegas in July will showcase songs from the album 'Bonfire Of Teenagers', which
was recorded in January 2021.
"The thrill of this album was the speed under which it was recorded. Considering the knots of grief I had experience at the time, it made 'Bonfire' an incredible achievement for me."

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 9:24pm
Andy Rourke’s contribution to the band is both tremendous and hideously overlooked. I wish he’d get more recognition in general.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc