Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 5:57pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 5:45pm
Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 5:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 5:30pm

I don't hate them; I just don't get their exalted status.
Yeah I get that. For me they had golden run from 64 to about 71 and thereafter there be dragons. That's 51 years of mediocrity.
Maybe truth. But I wonder how crap The Beatles would sound today.
Indeed. Add The Jam to that.
The Jam? Based on Paul's output since?

Weller split The Jam because he always wanted them to stand for youth. So that's incredibly honourable in my opinion.
Oh totally. The Jam split couldn't have been timed better.

If only The Clash and SLF could have called it a day in 1982.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Beatles song you're thinking about right now thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 6:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 6:11pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 5:38pm

Yeah I get that. For me they had golden run from 64 to about 71 and thereafter there be dragons. That's 51 years of mediocrity.

Weller split The Jam because he always wanted them to stand for youth. So that's incredibly honourable in my opinion.

It sucks at the time for fans when a band that's still at the peak of its powers quits, but we have so many examples of groups that stayed around too long that those rare birds are all the more appreciated for going out on their terms.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 7:02pm
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It sucks at the time for fans when a band that's still at the peak of its powers quits, but we have so many examples of groups that stayed around too long that those rare birds are all the more appreciated for going out on their terms.
Regards The Jam it has to be remembered that only Paul wanted to split. So when we say "The Jam" that's incorrect.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Actually, thinking about it, every band ever should have split in 1982.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 7:10pm
Especially those that formed in 1983. 😉
SLF did actually call it a day in 1982.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 7:13pm
Heston wrote:
I meant for good.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 7:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Regards The Jam it has to be remembered that only Paul wanted to split. So when we say "The Jam" that's incorrect.
Further complicated by the fact that he ended the Jam to start, um, the Style Council (a couple good singles but … yeah).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 7:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
I meant for good.
I like plenty of their output since 1987. Does it match those 4 great albums well no but then not many do.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 7:16pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Further complicated by the fact that he ended the Jam to start, um, the Style Council (a couple good singles but … yeah).
The Style Council had more than that. But the point is that Paul followed his own path playing other styles of music. Bruce and Rick had a little minor success in their follow up. But it's always that important chemistry that makes something what it is.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 7:22pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

The Style Council had more than that. But the point is that Paul followed his own path playing other styles of music. Bruce and Rick had a little minor success in their follow up. But it's always that important chemistry that makes something what it is.
Fair. But, c'mon, the Style Council's actual records were mostly very, very underwhelming. They're, like, George Harrison's post-Beatles output. Sure, some fantastic moments, but on the whole … meh.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 7:17pm
Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 7:14pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
I meant for good.
I like plenty of their output since 1987. Does it match those 4 great albums well no but then not many do.
I like some of it, hell I love some of it, but weigh that up with splitting in 1982 and leaving the perfect corpse.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 7:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Fair. But, c'mon, the Style Council's actual records were mostly very, very underwhelming. They're, like, George Harrison's post-Beatles output. Sure, some fantastic moments, but on the whole … meh.
That's where I'm at. Why are we agreeing so much tonight? I might pop into the MLG thread.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 7:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

That's where I'm at. Why are we agreeing so much tonight? I might pop into the MLG thread.
Shh shh shh. Let's just enjoy the moment before one of us brings up KISS or Swans.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I enjoy some of their music and I'm not expecting to hear The Jam. The jazz and other influences are not going to be to everyone's taste and that's fair.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Nov 2022, 7:49pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Shh shh shh. Let's just enjoy the moment before one of us brings up KISS or Swans.
See now the truth is out. This has nothing to do with The Beatles or The Stones. It's all about your true love's.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia