Currently watching.

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Currently watching.

Post by revbob »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 4:27pm
Enjoyed "The Devil's Hour" on Amazon Prime.
Yeah that was good.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

My wife was watching the Addams Family thing on netflix, "Wednesday". Not bad but apparently takes place in Vermont in the real town of Jericho. But they mak Jericho to be a mini ciy more on the scale of Burlington than the little podunk place it is.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We've been chugging thru the second season of Avenue 5—I was oblivious that it had been renewed and the new season aired—and have enjoyed it immensely. It's still all premise as an excuse for witty farce—everyone has remarkable timing and vocabulary to match—but it succeeds because script and performance is so damned fine.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Just started Wednesday. I'm not enamored with it but I might keep going.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
04 Dec 2022, 10:14pm
Don’t watch for plot or even (to a degree) character, I’d say. It’s about bizarre situations and wry and witty dialogue.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Dec 2022, 10:28pm
Mimi wrote:
Don’t watch for plot or even (to a degree) character, I’d say. It’s about bizarre situations and wry and witty dialogue.
Funny, wife and I just started and binged 3 episodes straight. Our tastes are fairly divergent but there's enough different stuff going on that we're both hooked. Lotta fun so far.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

The Goo Goo Muck scene was fun.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Mimi wrote:
After 6 episodes I'm kinda not liking the main character. I never watched the original show much so I'm not sure what Wednesday was like, but this version is just not a nice person. I dig the goth/emo vibe but she's awful to others, especially her roommate. Normally I overlook that in a character, but it's getting on my nerves. Still, I'll finish watching it, but I doubt I'll watch anything beyond this season.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
10 Dec 2022, 8:47pm
Mimi wrote:
After 6 episodes I'm kinda not liking the main character. I never watched the original show much so I'm not sure what Wednesday was like, but this version is just not a nice person. I dig the goth/emo vibe but she's awful to others, especially her roommate. Normally I overlook that in a character, but it's getting on my nerves. Still, I'll finish watching it, but I doubt I'll watch anything beyond this season.
This show has a very false portrayal of Vermont.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
10 Dec 2022, 9:28pm
Mimi wrote:
Mimi wrote:
This show has a very false portrayal of Vermont.
It's hella pretty, tho.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Mimi wrote:
She's definitely a bit of a sociopath in the source materials, although it's played up more here. There's a bit of a narrative arc around that stuff though in the final couple episodes so you may come around by the end of the season (or maybe not!)

Missus and I finished a few days ago, we loved it. Ridiculous and non-sensical in a lot of ways, but stuffed to the brim with enough stuff to keep us both happy. Hope a second season gets greenlit. Gotta be the best thing Tim Burton has done in years, right?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Flex wrote:
10 Dec 2022, 11:33pm
Mimi wrote:
She's definitely a bit of a sociopath in the source materials, although it's played up more here. There's a bit of a narrative arc around that stuff though in the final couple episodes so you may come around by the end of the season (or maybe not!)

Missus and I finished a few days ago, we loved it. Ridiculous and non-sensical in a lot of ways, but stuffed to the brim with enough stuff to keep us both happy. Hope a second season gets greenlit. Gotta be the best thing Tim Burton has done in years, right?
I'll keep watching then.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

On a free prime trial for a week so flicked through to see what I'd really like to watch and, tbh, not a huge amount. Have a weird thing for old explorers/climbers and their tales of glory, conquest and desperation so watched Shackleton's Captain and thought it was excellent. Have seen a few Shackleton movies/docs and I think this was probably the best of them, shifting the emphasis for survival away from the expedition leader towards the heroic ship captain Frank Worsley. The original footage is truly remarkable.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Been doing my usual Xmas tradition of going through the holiday episodes of QI. I sure do love panel shows. It's a shame Americans aren't aware of the concept of wit and so something like this could never exist here.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
16 Dec 2022, 6:07pm
Been doing my usual Xmas tradition of going through the holiday episodes of QI. I sure do love panel shows. It's a shame Americans aren't aware of the concept of wit and so something like this could never exist here.
WTF?