Without People You're Nothing

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
msza2
Junco Partner

Re: Without People You're Nothing

Post by msza2 »

Low Down Low wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 3:43pm
msza2 wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 6:13pm
Marky Dread wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 5:09pm
msza2 wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 4:54pm
Wow, the Streetcore instrumentals are flooring me. I didn't even know they were circulating until a week or two ago when Marky mentioned he was preparing them for this, and even then I definitely didn't expect the unknown tracks. Holy shit, I almost shed a tear thinking about what might have been, especially hearing the background vocals.

Is there any more information out there about these?

Interesting that Guitar Slinger Man is missing. Given they were performing that one live, you'd think it'd have been one of the first they laid down in the studio.
Yeah I wish they could've got them down. Obviously the album is fleshed out by using the two Rick Rubin recordings. I couldn't find any other info on those instrumentals. One of the untitled tracks is possibly called "Steady America" and my guess is the one with the backing vocals. Laxman did find some info saying the band road tested that track live but I can't find any reference to it on the boots available or listings.
Did either of you happen to come across this article which mentions another song (a "reggae drug tune") called Bases Are Loaded? That could be one of the instrumentals as well, although neither are particularly reggae...

https://www.epitaph.com/news/article/th ... mescaleros

These instrumental tunes really bridge the gap between Global and Streetcore. It's hard to imagine CG, GDM, AA, etc fitting on Global but I could imagine any of these groovy, acoustic-ish tunes on there
I'm often not the best judge of these, but the second untitled track does sound a bit reggaeish to my ears anyway so I'd bet that might well be Bases are Loaded.
I'm tempted to guess the same.

And this is really just a wild guess but the title "Steady America" sounds to me like a sunny day cruisin' tune, or least a tune with wide scope/a broad survey type of thing, and the first instrumental has that feel to me.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

msza2 wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 3:59pm
Low Down Low wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Wow, the Streetcore instrumentals are flooring me. I didn't even know they were circulating until a week or two ago when Marky mentioned he was preparing them for this, and even then I definitely didn't expect the unknown tracks. Holy shit, I almost shed a tear thinking about what might have been, especially hearing the background vocals.

Interesting that Guitar Slinger Man is missing. Given they were performing that one live, you'd think it'd have been one of the first they laid down in the studio.
Yeah I wish they could've got them down. Obviously the album is fleshed out by using the two Rick Rubin recordings. I couldn't find any other info on those instrumentals. One of the untitled tracks is possibly called "Steady America" and my guess is the one with the backing vocals. Laxman did find some info saying the band road tested that track live but I can't find any reference to it on the boots available or listings.
Did either of you happen to come across this article which mentions another song (a "reggae drug tune") called Bases Are Loaded? That could be one of the instrumentals as well, although neither are particularly reggae...

These instrumental tunes really bridge the gap between Global and Streetcore. It's hard to imagine CG, GDM, AA, etc fitting on Global but I could imagine any of these groovy, acoustic-ish tunes on there
I'm often not the best judge of these, but the second untitled track does sound a bit reggaeish to my ears anyway so I'd bet that might well be Bases are Loaded.

And this is really just a wild guess but the title "Steady America" sounds to me like a sunny day cruisin' tune, or least a tune with wide scope/a broad survey type of thing, and the first instrumental has that feel to me.
Sounds about right. Really don't know what to make of the road tested remark. Wouldn't rule out it being a mistake or misunderstanding on behalf of the journo.

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

What I'm listening... p.s. "When pigs fly" it's an amazing surprise for me, i've never listened it before yesterday night. Thanks again!!
Attachments
IMG_4877.PNG
Last edited by Stefano1972 on 17 Nov 2022, 5:48pm, edited 2 times in total.

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
msza2 wrote:

All possible and as there are not any other tracks listed then it makes sense. I wonder if Martin and Scott have more outtakes.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 5:39pm
What I'm listening... p.s. "When pigs fly" it's an amazing surprise for me, i've never listened it before yesterday night. Thanks again!!
Cool.👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Thank you very much for these Marky. I had been sort of kind of planning on splitting the Norris tracks myself, so it's great that my halfhearted plan needs not be completed!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 7:53pm
Thank you very much for these Marky. I had been sort of kind of planning on splitting the Norris tracks myself, so it's great that my halfhearted plan needs not be completed!
They took a lot of work to remove the interview segments and then complete the tracks back to full length.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Outstanding work as usual Marky, but especially on this one. Joe's lesser known stuff gets criminally overlooked and always seems to be scattered to the four winds in varying quality. thanks for bringing it all together.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 9:59am
Outstanding work as usual Marky, but especially on this one. Joe's lesser known stuff gets criminally overlooked and always seems to be scattered to the four winds in varying quality. thanks for bringing it all together.
Thanks mate I'm glad everyone is enjoying it. A lot of hard work and care went into it. I'm pleased with the results. If passion was in fashion I'd be in Vogue. 😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Low Down Low wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 5:37pm
msza2 wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Sounds about right. Really don't know what to make of the road tested remark. Wouldn't rule out it being a mistake or misunderstanding on behalf of the journo.
Yeah, you never know what could've transpired but I really don't think there are many shows from the latter days that there isn't a known setlist for. More likely the guys had mentioned they wrote these tunes on the road or perhaps jammed them in soundcheck or something.

Given these songs have titles, there must be lyrics even if in a nascent form. I wonder if Luce would ever consider letting someone else have a crack at them like the Woody Guthrie estate has done. I know that approach isn't everyone's cup of tea but I lean towards breathing life into the material.

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

Just listened to the Folk Rock Rebel Songs set from the Cambridge folk festival. The sound is fantastic on headphones. There is so much to appreciate and digest amongst all the different eras of Joe's career on this collection. Marky I don't think Dark Horse have or will, come anywhere close to the success of your boxset. Thank you for the hard work, passion and care you've put in to this.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

msza2 wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 10:59am
Low Down Low wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 5:37pm
msza2 wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
msza2 wrote:

Yeah, you never know what could've transpired but I really don't think there are many shows from the latter days that there isn't a known setlist for. More likely the guys had mentioned they wrote these tunes on the road or perhaps jammed them in soundcheck or something.

Given these songs have titles, there must be lyrics even if in a nascent form. I wonder if Luce would ever consider letting someone else have a crack at them like the Woody Guthrie estate has done. I know that approach isn't everyone's cup of tea but I lean towards breathing life into the material.
I love the Wilco and Billy Bragg stuff so I'd be well ok with any comparable Joe project. And Billy would be as solid a choice as any, I reckon.

Equaliser
Dirty Punk

Post by Equaliser »

Kory wrote:
I am thankful for that as well! It really fills in those wilderness years.

Marky is that intro to the Permanent Record Soundtrack a bit from the movie? Your presentation of that is incredible! I like it more than the Walker Soundtrack!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Equaliser wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 5:09pm
Kory wrote:
I am thankful for that as well! It really fills in those wilderness years.

Marky is that intro to the Permanent Record Soundtrack a bit from the movie? Your presentation of that is incredible! I like it more than the Walker Soundtrack!
I was interested to see that Keanu plays on that track, I didn't know that before.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Telecaster wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 3:16pm
Just listened to the Folk Rock Rebel Songs set from the Cambridge folk festival. The sound is fantastic on headphones. There is so much to appreciate and digest amongst all the different eras of Joe's career on this collection. Marky I don't think Dark Horse have or will, come anywhere close to the success of your boxset. Thank you for the hard work, passion and care you've put in to this.
It's a pleasure to know that people appreciate it mate. 😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia