Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The All Smiths/Morrissey Thread

Post by Marky Dread »

oliver wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 10:17am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 9:11pm
Marr plays on a Rourke band song: https://consequence.net/2022/11/johnny- ... g-forever/
I really want to like anything that Andy does - and even more so when Johnny is involved - but it's a struggle.
Sounds like the bastard child of Kasabian and Oasis. Average at best.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 10:51am
oliver wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marr plays on a Rourke band song: https://consequence.net/2022/11/johnny- ... g-forever/
I really want to like anything that Andy does - and even more so when Johnny is involved - but it's a struggle.
I agree with oliver here. The little bits I've heard from AR post-Smiths have been, at best, a shrug. No denying his ability, but it required a specific context of people and the times for it to shine.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 11:30am
Marky Dread wrote:
oliver wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I agree with oliver here. The little bits I've heard from AR post-Smiths have been, at best, a shrug. No denying his ability, but it required a specific context of people and the times for it to shine.
Yep agree whole heartedly. Great player but needs that spark from others.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
oliver wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I feel the same about both Rourke and Marr, frankly.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 3:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
oliver wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You haven't dug Marr's recent records under his own name? I never got into Electronic or Modest Mouse, but I'm surprised how much I like his newest stuff. He seems like a dude who's just following his conscience and letting the old magic flow.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 4:18pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
oliver wrote:

You haven't dug Marr's recent records under his own name? I never got into Electronic or Modest Mouse, but I'm surprised how much I like his newest stuff. He seems like a dude who's just following his conscience and letting the old magic flow.
I thought Electronic were okay but I remember how disappointed I was in buying Johnny Marr & The Healers "Boomslang". In fact that doesn't sound unlike that Andy Rourke track posted further up.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 4:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I thought Electronic were okay but I remember how disappointed I was in buying Johnny Marr & The Healers "Boomslang". In fact that doesn't sound unlike that Andy Rourke track posted further up.
Oh god, Boomslang. I'm pretty sure I've heard it once and thought, huh, okay, Morrissey definitely won the split. I've revised my opinion since, but at the time …

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 4:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Oh god, Boomslang. I'm pretty sure I've heard it once and thought, huh, okay, Morrissey definitely won the split. I've revised my opinion since, but at the time …
It was an album that was like sub-par Oasis if you can get that poor. It felt like an album desperate to fit in with that time. Absolutely rubbish.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 4:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

It was an album that was like sub-par Oasis if you can get that poor. It felt like an album desperate to fit in with that time. Absolutely rubbish.
Right. And I was so not that audience.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 4:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Just a case of Marr being caught up in that time and listening to the likes of Noel Gallagher telling him he was an inspiration.

But of course he's capable of way better than that dirge.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
oliver wrote:

I haven't heard the newest one, but the previous stuff all sounds really samey to me. What I liked most about his Smiths work is the intricacy/cleverness of it, but all the solo stuff I've checked out doesn't really touch any of that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 4:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Just a case of Marr being caught up in that time and listening to the likes of Noel Gallagher telling him he was an inspiration.

Such a strange thing that he'd feel that kind of pressure(?). Tho maybe so much success when you're very young can spark a bit of a pre-mid-life crisis and fear of not being hip.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 5:10pm
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 4:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Such a strange thing that he'd feel that kind of pressure(?). Tho maybe so much success when you're very young can spark a bit of a pre-mid-life crisis and fear of not being hip.
That kind of pressure must be hard to ignore. It even happened to Bowie after Let's Dance.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 5:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I haven't heard the newest one, but the previous stuff all sounds really samey to me. What I liked most about his Smiths work is the intricacy/cleverness of it, but all the solo stuff I've checked out doesn't really touch any of that.
Fair, I suppose. I like them for how effortless they seem. Someone without anything to prove, accepting his rep and all instead of kind of hiding in other bands, and just making music. I confess that he's just a flat-out likeable person and so I want to like his records (the contrast to Morrissey probably plays a role in how I listen and want to like the records, tho it's not conscious).

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 5:13pm
Kory wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 5:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Fair, I suppose. I like them for how effortless they seem. Someone without anything to prove, accepting his rep and all instead of kind of hiding in other bands, and just making music. I confess that he's just a flat-out likeable person and so I want to like his records (the contrast to Morrissey probably plays a role in how I listen and want to like the records, tho it's not conscious).
It actually falls kind of into the same category of a lot of recent Wire stuff in terms of it all sounding very similar to me. Roughly the same tempo for each song, the same rhythm, etc.