Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Flex »

Has anyone read this? Thinking it may be of interest to (at least) Doc and Mrs. B:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
11 Dec 2022, 3:33am
Has anyone read this? Thinking it may be of interest to (at least) Doc and Mrs. B:
No, I don't know that one. I've read The Heebie Jeebies at CBGB's and a couple articles that try to link processing the Holocaust to punk. I'll see if I can find an eBook of this one, tho. Thanks!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

He looks like you.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
12 Dec 2022, 7:37pm
Hello,

He looks like you.
:lol: We all have our doppelgängers out there.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

gkbill wrote:
12 Dec 2022, 7:37pm
Hello,

He looks like you.
Damn, you're right, uncanny resemblance, huh? :lol:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

33 1/3 has started doing genre-based books, of which this is one of the first in a series of (I hope) many more. I think you might like this one Doc, even though it's not really your wheelhouse—it's definitely a book that's more analysis than celebration. The central thesis is basically about how important collectivism to experimental creation, especially with regard to minority communities, in the face of gentrification and the commodification and weakening of the creation in question. Gentrification being an enemy of the small basement clubs in which the music and community is created, and commodification being the means through which the vibrantly experimental creation (heavily influenced by dub) is turned into speaker fodder for department stores (becoming basically lounge music). Not a super unique viewpoint, especially for electronic subgenres, but the context of its creation by Caribbean/English communities makes it a worthwhile examination, I think.

Looking forward to the upcoming Dance Punk book, which I think will talk about PiL, Go4, mutant disco of NY, etc.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 3:35pm

33 1/3 has started doing genre-based books, of which this is one of the first in a series of (I hope) many more. I think you might like this one Doc, even though it's not really your wheelhouse—it's definitely a book that's more analysis than celebration. The central thesis is basically about how important collectivism to experimental creation, especially with regard to minority communities, in the face of gentrification and the commodification and weakening of the creation in question. Gentrification being an enemy of the small basement clubs in which the music and community is created, and commodification being the means through which the vibrantly experimental creation (heavily influenced by dub) is turned into speaker fodder for department stores (becoming basically lounge music). Not a super unique viewpoint, especially for electronic subgenres, but the context of its creation by Caribbean/English communities makes it a worthwhile examination, I think.

Looking forward to the upcoming Dance Punk book, which I think will talk about PiL, Go4, mutant disco of NY, etc.
Very cool! That's a concept for these books that I definitely endorse. A punk one would be very appreciated for my seminar in the future. I'll be hunting this one down regardless.

edit: I get emails from Bloomsbury Academic every day. Maybe if I looked at them I would have known about this.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 4:02pm
Kory wrote:

Very cool! That's a concept for these books that I definitely endorse. A punk one would be very appreciated for my seminar in the future. I'll be hunting this one down regardless.

edit: I get emails from Bloomsbury Academic every day. Maybe if I looked at them I would have known about this.
On the conceptual note, I've really been excited for the Tin Drum (Japan) one, which is supposed to take a look at cultural appropriation/appreciation and the exotifying/mythologizing of "the Orient." However, it's been pushed back a couple times, and doesn't appear on their list of upcoming titles anymore. However, I just checked, and it looks like Sandinista! is on the list, so holy shit, that could be a very good one if it's done well.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 4:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 4:02pm
Kory wrote:

On the conceptual note, I've really been excited for the Tin Drum (Japan) one, which is supposed to take a look at cultural appropriation/appreciation and the exotifying/mythologizing of "the Orient." However, it's been pushed back a couple times, and doesn't appear on their list of upcoming titles anymore. However, I just checked, and it looks like Sandinista! is on the list, so holy shit, that could be a very good one if it's done well.
Those books are really useful when done as a framing device to talk about wider topics. When it's just a celebration of an album, meh, I get bored fast.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:

I'll have a go at that, looks really good.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I’m still grinding thru my hate-listen of this early 60s rock n roll book, with its emphasis on genius and innocence. One of the things that makes me furious about that innocence claim—beyond a history anything buy innocent—is that it means everything that happened afterwards is where America lost its innocence. Which is to say, under Boomers’ watch. They go on and on about how America has lost its way without ever acknowledging responsibility. Somehow it’s the kids and grandkids they raised that are responsible for all that is wrong, even as they cling to power in all spheres.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Silent Majority wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 6:14am
Kory wrote:

I'll have a go at that, looks really good.
It's written by the same author who did the Portishead one, if you happened to read that. One of the best in the series, I thought.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

147) Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration by Amy Wallace and Edwin Catmull. Audiobook. 2014. An inside look at the management practices and story of Pixar as written by one of its founders and leaders. The narrator of this audiobook sounds a lot like Joe Biden, man. Useful for me to have outlines drawn for a business world as I've started my new job. More business books to come.

148) The Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee Book - Jerry Seinfeld. Audiobook. 2022. I mostly listened to this on a train journey to London and back. It's fine. Helpful tips to be found about quite a few avenues of life, which I've incorporated. Seinfeld continues to bring the spirit of the owner of a small businessman's consulting firm to comedy and it shows.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 3:15pm
Seinfeld continues to bring the spirit of the owner of a small businessman's consulting firm to comedy and it shows.
Ha! Wonderful analogy. I was never wowed by his stand-up pre-sitcom, but, man, the bits I've seen in the last decade or so are just dire.