A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 8:06pm
revbob wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 5:30pm
oliver wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 8:47pm
"Meryl Streek / False Apologies"
This song/band sent me down a serious rabbit hole and now I have like 10 other artists to checkout. Thanks Oliver.
Hello,

That's a benefit of this thread!
Oh hell yeah.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Dazy - On My Way. This guy is really good. I enjoy his stuff. He's new without much material.

Militarie Gun - Let Me Be Normal. Pretty good snarly kind of song

Cheekface - We Need a Bigger Dumpster. This group is like a mix of early Beck and They Might Be Giants. I like it better when it picks up after the first chorus.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dazy - If I was writing a song with pen and paper, it would read: really fuzzy guitar sound and a repeated riff. Hearing stuff like this makes me want to pick up a guitar again and because I think I can do something similar. Past history says I can't :) If it makes sense, I like it more as an inspiration than an individual song which isn't to say I don't like it - because I do.

Militarie Gun - this one kind of straddles a couple of different styles and I almost wish it would pick one but it still manages to make it work. Sounds like a mix of Bleach era Nirvana and Blink 182

Cheekface - I hear where you're coming from with Beck and TMBG but I get much more of a we-are-deliberately-quirky vibe from this. I was enjoying the instrumental parts more than the singing parts but that may change on repeated listens.

As usual, 3 new ones for me so it's all good stuff.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 2:04pm
Hello,
Dazy - On My Way.
I like this, good guitar sound and vocals, worth checking out more.

Militarie Gun - Let Me Be Normal.
I had to listen without the video (because the video is awful and was annoying me). I liked parts of the song but it seemed to mrph into something different at times.

Cheekface - We Need a Bigger Dumpster.
I definitely hear the Beck/TMBG in there and agree that it gets better after the initial part. I would prefer more TMBG and much less Beck (not a fan) and it seemed as soon as I was getting the TMBG vibe the Beck vibe would come in and overshadow it.

Thank you gkbill for 3 more new artists, one definitely a keeper for me and in baseball that's a damn good average. Hell probably damn good in most sport settings.

Oliver or Weller or someone else want to give it a go?

If not I should be able to shake 3 new things loose.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

revbob wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 1:33pm
I was before gkbill, not that we really have a schedule any more... unless weller259 has some, go ahead
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

oliver wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 1:50pm
revbob wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 1:33pm
I was before gkbill, not that we really have a schedule any more... unless weller259 has some, go ahead
Ok I'll work on a set.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Now that I'm done reviewing awful Beach Boys songs, I'm going to try to get back to this.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 2:56pm
Now that I'm done reviewing awful Beach Boys songs, I'm going to try to get back to this.
Hooray!!!!

Not sarcasm...really

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

matedog wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 2:56pm
Hello,

Welcome back! There's some stuff here worth checking up on.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Unfortunately, I do not know much if any new music that is being made, anything I post would be, well, old. But I am capable of posting some old stuff if its desired.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259 wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 5:07pm
Unfortunately, I do not know much if any new music that is being made, anything I post would be, well, old. But I am capable of posting some old stuff if its desired.
I think for this exercise "new" is a relative term. I think introducing something old that isnt familiar is fine.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 5:12pm
weller259 wrote:
I think for this exercise "new" is a relative term. I think introducing something old that isnt familiar is fine.
Hello,

I try to post new bands (as in recently created) but I'm happy as long as they're new to me - kind of what revbob's saying above.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 7:27pm
revbob wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 5:12pm
weller259 wrote:
Hello,

I try to post new bands (as in recently created) but I'm happy as long as they're new to me - kind of what revbob's saying above.
Yeah like Marky could probably introduce me to some old stuff every day for a year.

matedog

Post by matedog »

gkbill wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 2:04pm

Dazy - On My Way. - Got a mid to late 90s vibe to it. Peppy and fun though it doesn't stick out too much for me. 6/10

Militarie Gun - Let Me Be Normal. - Matt Patrol sent me these guys this week actually. Another one that doesn't stick out too much for me. Nice drum/guitar arrangement, but the vocal is a bit lacking. I wish it was either more abrasive or less, if that makes sense. It's a weird in between 5/10.

Cheekface - We Need a Bigger Dumpster. I do appreciate that Rev and I can disagree about how we agree on something. I wish this were more like Beck. Looks like he/they are playing with my boy Jeff Rosenstock these days. Also the vocal kinda reminds me of Bloodhound Gang. It's not for me though the "everything is fine!" part is cool with the drums. 4/10.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

oliver wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 8:47pm
"Armani Caesar / Survival of the Littest" -
Great backing track - love the keyboard part going in and out of key and then vinyl cracking hum throughout. Nice and sparse, pairs very well with the vocal. Song doesn't do much, but it's barely over 2 minutes, so it doesn't really need to. I listened to a few more tracks from her and it's similarly mellow. I can listen to a few tracks like this, but a whole album would be a bit hard. I like this though. 7/10.

"Meryl Streek / False Apologies" - Nice anger and passion in the delivery, good slow build up too. I like the keyboard coming in midway too. Lots of interesting bits and a well thought out arrangement. The lack of a melodic vocal brings it down a bit for me. It's a long time for someone to shout at me. 6/10.