So what's your concert schedule looking like?

General music discussion.
Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Re: So what's your concert schedule looking like?

Post by Toppers Boppers »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
11 Dec 2022, 10:42am
Toppers Boppers wrote:
09 Dec 2022, 11:03am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
24 Nov 2022, 9:35am
Hugh Cornwell last night was brilliant and he played in a very small club the size of a pub. I think the audience must have been between 60-80 people so really close and personal. He was really on form and sounded brilliant. He played all the songs i wanted to hear off the promoted album and a good chunk off his back catalog as a solo artist even Nosferatu got a playing. The only two stranglers songs i hadn't heard played before when he was in the band were both instrumentals and thats waltzinblack and Turn The Centuries Turn. It was fascinating and for anyone who is familiar with those two songs will realise how difficult it must be to do renditions of those two when you are just a Bass , Guitar and drums outfit. Its Hugh being typical genius and experimental and happy to face a challenge. Both songs sounded brilliant
A great Stranglers set was played and very enjoyable indeed.

Hugh dedicated a song to Wilko last night and it got a big cheer
Saw Hugh and band the other night, small front room venue. Great performance, good to hear a snapshot of his solo work and then a set of Stranglers songs, mostly first album. Must admit he seemed a bit distant, I wonder if he'd heard about Jet's passing the night before but wasn't letting on, or end of the tour ennui/tiredness.
Great stuff I'm really pleased you enjoyed it sounds like my experience was similar to yours.Hugh's work is a very slow build up for appreciation i found but once you are hooked its really addictive and i like its quirkiness and the lyrics really work. I was just glad he didn't try and just be the stranglers but solo.
Now Hugh does seem more distant with the audience than when he was in the stranglers he was famous for ripping audiences apart with his sarcasm wit and banter. I find it hard to understand why he didn't mention Jet's sad demise he would definitely heard about it. I actually think its because he was affected by it and didn't want it to effect the gig i could imagine it was too early to mention it and didn't want to choke over the mic. Jet and Hugh were very close when they were in the band together

For fun if you can watch with out getting bored here is a example of his banter he would always do at all the gigs (i recognise a few that i was at). I think all these recordings are from the Aural sculpture tour

Thanks for that link, entertaining to hear his banter challenging the audience like that. He was quite a gent the other evening in comparison! The only time I saw Hugh front the Stranglers was on the Raven tour, have seen the new set up a few times in recent years too. Will be checking out his solo work too, it did sound good live.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
11 Dec 2022, 12:53pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Hugh Cornwell last night was brilliant and he played in a very small club the size of a pub. I think the audience must have been between 60-80 people so really close and personal. He was really on form and sounded brilliant. He played all the songs i wanted to hear off the promoted album and a good chunk off his back catalog as a solo artist even Nosferatu got a playing. The only two stranglers songs i hadn't heard played before when he was in the band were both instrumentals and thats waltzinblack and Turn The Centuries Turn. It was fascinating and for anyone who is familiar with those two songs will realise how difficult it must be to do renditions of those two when you are just a Bass , Guitar and drums outfit. Its Hugh being typical genius and experimental and happy to face a challenge. Both songs sounded brilliant

Saw Hugh and band the other night, small front room venue. Great performance, good to hear a snapshot of his solo work and then a set of Stranglers songs, mostly first album. Must admit he seemed a bit distant, I wonder if he'd heard about Jet's passing the night before but wasn't letting on, or end of the tour ennui/tiredness.
Great stuff I'm really pleased you enjoyed it sounds like my experience was similar to yours.Hugh's work is a very slow build up for appreciation i found but once you are hooked its really addictive and i like its quirkiness and the lyrics really work. I was just glad he didn't try and just be the stranglers but solo.
Now Hugh does seem more distant with the audience than when he was in the stranglers he was famous for ripping audiences apart with his sarcasm wit and banter. I find it hard to understand why he didn't mention Jet's sad demise he would definitely heard about it. I actually think its because he was affected by it and didn't want it to effect the gig i could imagine it was too early to mention it and didn't want to choke over the mic. Jet and Hugh were very close when they were in the band together

For fun if you can watch with out getting bored here is a example of his banter he would always do at all the gigs (i recognise a few that i was at). I think all these recordings are from the Aural sculpture tour

The only time I saw Hugh front the Stranglers was on the Raven tour.
Big respect to you i would have loved to have seen them on that tour

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
11 Dec 2022, 2:50pm
Toppers Boppers wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

If only I had a time machine to go back and see the bands I missed around 77-80, but glad to have seen the ones I did. The show was great with the band fully immersed in their black period, and the whole vibe was quite dark if memory serves me right.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Toppers Boppers wrote:
13 Dec 2022, 12:32pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
11 Dec 2022, 2:50pm
Toppers Boppers wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:

If only I had a time machine to go back and see the bands I missed around 77-80, but glad to have seen the ones I did. The show was great with the band fully immersed in their black period, and the whole vibe was quite dark if memory serves me right.
i hear you and live is what its all about for me. I saw so many bands and was going to gigs constantly and although i loved every minute of it all i look back and wish i could do it all again. I saw the stranglers at first when i was 16 so that would be about 81 and right through to the last gig in 1990 at the ally pally. I must have seen them over 40 times in that period.I also saw the Paul Roberts version twice (one of them being their first ever UK gig) and that was a feeling of i didn't know if to laugh or cry a very weird emotion for me then. No Hugh then no Stranglers for me

But the one band that i miss more than anything else is BAD and i saw them multiple times on every tour from the first album to the globe. Thats not anything against the latter albums i would have loved to seen those gigs too but my life style changed at that point. Very fond memories

Unfortunately the old bands now are just as tired as we are in the crowd being too tired to jump around and dance :).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Have you all got your Crackerjack pencils?
Good well stick 'em up your arses then!

There's some been classic Hughisms down the years.

Did someone shout "wanker"?
What isn't he going to own up!

Great stuff.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Ive been to more shows during these covid years than I have the preceding 20 it seems.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Dec 2022, 6:59am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Great stuff.
Those two incidents still make me laugh now and whats more one of them should be X certificated ;)

I was at the Hammersmith Odeon and Jet and Hugh stopped the gig two songs in and started on the bouncers as they were getting heavy handed to a few at the front,they then started to demand that the bouncers were all removed from the auditorium. They then walked off stage and refused to play until all the bouncers were removed :mrgreen: . The bouncers were then removed and Hugh told the crowd that all bouncers are all now gone and you can now enjoy yourselves with out them in your faces. Unfortunately even though Hugh mentioned that its in your hands now and you treat the place respectfully then you can show that bouncers are not needed. But of course all the seats were damaged at the front and of course then next night was cancelled which was a moral standing failure for the band and a let down for them.

But what a gig that was absolutely electric with no restrictions at all with both crowd and band fired up. I don't think that could ever happen again these days.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
18 Dec 2022, 2:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Great stuff.
Those two incidents still make me laugh now and whats more one of them should be X certificated ;)

I was at the Hammersmith Odeon and Jet and Hugh stopped the gig two songs in and started on the bouncers as they were getting heavy handed to a few at the front,they then started to demand that the bouncers were all removed from the auditorium. They then walked off stage and refused to play until all the bouncers were removed :mrgreen: . The bouncers were then removed and Hugh told the crowd that all bouncers are all now gone and you can now enjoy yourselves with out them in your faces. Unfortunately even though Hugh mentioned that its in your hands now and you treat the place respectfully then you can show that bouncers are not needed. But of course all the seats were damaged at the front and of course then next night was cancelled which was a moral standing failure for the band and a let down for them.

But what a gig that was absolutely electric with no restrictions at all with both crowd and band fired up. I don't think that could ever happen again these days.
Yeah fantastic times to be part of that music. Gigs back then were way more hostile and bands tried real hard to curb trouble from fans and bouncers alike. Hugh's wit and repartee is legendary and he sure had a way with an audience. Didn't give a shit about winding them up either. I miss those days.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Dec 2022, 3:13pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Toppers Boppers wrote:

Great stuff.

Yeah fantastic times to be part of that music. Gigs back then were way more hostile and bands tried real hard to curb trouble from fans and bouncers alike. Hugh's wit and repartee is legendary and he sure had a way with an audience. Didn't give a shit about winding them up either. I miss those days.
Hear hear to that Marky . I think political correctness has done more damage than anything else all it does is push negative things underground and make it a lot more dangerous. Subjects need to be discussed with all opinions heard and brought out in to the open so that it can be dealt with and educated for the better.

I miss those days too

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 6:47am
Marky Dread wrote:
18 Dec 2022, 3:13pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

Great stuff.

Hear hear to that Marky . I think political correctness has done more damage than anything else all it does is push negative things underground and make it a lot more dangerous. Subjects need to be discussed with all opinions heard and brought out in to the open so that it can be dealt with and educated for the better.

I miss those days too
I agree about your political correctness statement. It takes way more than giving someone the tools and insight to deal with subjects. It's about the situations they may find themselves in also. The idea of simply being correct doesn't sit well with me. As I think it's essential to understand the cause and processes that made someone hateful or racist in the first place. Punk attempted to address these subjects by offering opinions and discussion. Don't simply hate the racist find out why they're racist and see if you can change their mind and heart.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

I don't tend to believe that political correctness, or 'wokeness' as people who like saying and hearing slurs now rail against, has the power that its opponents claim.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 1:35pm
I don't tend to believe that political correctness, or 'wokeness' as people who like saying and hearing slurs now rail against, has the power that its opponents claim.
As a corrolary, I'm not entirely sure that open collegial debate with Nazis and fascists has had the curative social powers that its supporters usually claim.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 8:05am

I agree about your political correctness statement. It takes way more than giving someone the tools and insight to deal with subjects. It's about the situations they may find themselves in also. The idea of simply being correct doesn't sit well with me. As I think it's essential to understand the cause and processes that made someone hateful or racist in the first place. Punk attempted to address these subjects by offering opinions and discussion. Don't simply hate the racist find out why they're racist and see if you can change their mind and heart.
"Political correctness" means a lot of things to a lot of people. How do you understand it in this context? I'm genuinely curious because your post is clearly thoughtful, but I usually hear "political correctness is bad" from people who complain about not being able to make racist jokes and that sort of stuff.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 1:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:

"Political correctness" means a lot of things to a lot of people. How do you understand it in this context? I'm genuinely curious because your post is clearly thoughtful, but I usually hear "political correctness is bad" from people who complain about not being able to make racist jokes and that sort of stuff.
Being politically aware of those who surround you and those people you choose to mix with and being politically correct can be very different things.

Example you're on a public vehicle (train) and a group of skinheads get on and start being racist to a black person sat opposite you. You know this isn't right and others sat around you know this isn't right. What do you do? Ignore them and hope this abhorrent treatment stops. Or do you confront them and risk getting a beating knowing you have to go home to your wife and kids.

The next day you're on the same train journey a skinhead gets on the train alone. A group of black guys get on the train and start harassing the skinhead. What do you do? Do you naturally assume because the guys a skinhead that he must be a racist therefore deserves what's happening. Or do you dare stand up and try to reason with the black guys and risk getting labelled a racist along with the skinhead?

Maybe your best course of action is to sit there and do nothing even though you know in both situations neither is politically correct. Me personally in the first case I end up taking a beating and in the second case I end up being classed by ignorance a racist.

I'll always do my level best to fight the ignorance and hatred even though I realise that my understanding of being politically correct is to my detriment.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 5:48pm
matedog wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 1:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Being politically aware of those who surround you and those people you choose to mix with and being politically correct can be very different things.

Example you're on a public vehicle (train) and a group of skinheads get on and start being racist to a black person sat opposite you. You know this isn't right and others sat around you know this isn't right. What do you do? Ignore them and hope this abhorrent treatment stops. Or do you confront them and risk getting a beating knowing you have to go home to your wife and kids.

The next day you're on the same train journey a skinhead gets on the train alone. A group of black guys get on the train and start harassing the skinhead. What do you do? Do you naturally assume because the guys a skinhead that he must be a racist therefore deserves what's happening. Or do you dare stand up and try to reason with the black guys and risk getting labelled a racist along with the skinhead?

Maybe your best course of action is to sit there and do nothing even though you know in both situations neither is politically correct. Me personally in the first case I end up taking a beating and in the second case I end up being classed by ignorance a racist.

I'll always do my level best to fight the ignorance and hatred even though I realise that my understanding of being politically correct is to my detriment.
Interesting, that's not how I define "political correctness" in either example. Typically, I understand it as something that was okay to say/do, but is no longer because we realize the language or actions are not sufficiently inclusive. For example, in my job in construction, we would refer to a regular door as "man door" as opposed to a roll up door or elevator door or whatever. Someone could say that's not PC and that we should use the term "person door." That's how I'm used to the term "political correctness" being applied.

For your example, that just seems like open harassment with racist implications or explications. I'm trying to wrap my head around an example that explicit and need some time to work through the example.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.