Post by Equaliser »

msza2 wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 12:29pm
Equaliser wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 8:36am
gkbill wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 1:25am
Hello,

Okay, it's a cover but this is my go-to version of Pressure Drop. I have played this often in class before I start lecture. Is Terry on it?

No he is not. This is from a half-hearted reunion album with Lynval, Neville and I think Roddy. The conventional wisdom is that this album (Today's Specials) really sucks.
Yeah the album is not very good but I've always liked this version of Pressure Drop, too. The highlight of the album for sure.
It's kind of their Cut The Crap album! It is one of the 'better' tracks.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: RIP Terry Hall

Post by WestwayKid »

I really got into 2 Tone about 3-4 years ago and the dearly missed Wally took the time to get me up to speed with recommendations and questions answered. It's hard to not think of him when hearing the news of Terry Hall's passing.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 6:12pm
I really got into 2 Tone about 3-4 years ago and the dearly missed Wally took the time to get me up to speed with recommendations and questions answered. It's hard to not think of him when hearing the news of Terry Hall's passing.
Yeah, I immediately thought of Wally and that 2T collection he was seeking to complete.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

msza2 wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 1:12pm
WestwayKid wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 12:48pm

When my kids were younger, they watched a lot of the Wiggles, and this was always one of their favorites. It led, of course, to me playing the Specials for them and while they did not become fans (yet), I'm glad it's something they've been exposed to.
Lol, nice! I will have to show this to my son. He has just started watching the Wiggles and Monkey Man was actually the first song he ever sang when he was like 11 months old. The aye aye aye part anyway.
The Wiggles were one of the few kids shows I didn't mind watching. They came across as 4 dudes who really loved music, which resulted in some cool, catchy songs.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 6:21pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Yeah, I immediately thought of Wally and that 2T collection he was seeking to complete.
Same here, Marky and I were talking about 101W earlier today.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

laxman wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 6:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 6:21pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Same here, Marky and I were talking about 101W earlier today.
It's kinda funny now that any mention of those core 2T bands immediately makes me think of that Limey Kiwi. Wally may as well have been a member of the Special, Madness, or The Beat!
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Pancreatic cancer according to Horace Panter on FB. So sad. Rest easy Terry.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
20 Dec 2022, 7:11pm
Pancreatic cancer according to Horace Panter on FB. So sad. Rest easy Terry.
In a way, I'm relieved (but, you know, not really). I knew he had psychological problems and had attempted suicide in the past, so that was my initial fear.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

RIP Terry.

“You’re Wondering Now” 💔...

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Great clips -- great quality! And, of course, you can't beat those songs, though I think they were still finding ways to stay relevant. I loved their reworking of Prince Buster's Ten Commandments -- that was truly an inspired stroke! So was their last album, Protest Songs: 1924-2012.

Here are some of my recollections, for whoever wants to read them:
https://ramennoodlenation.blogspot.com/ ... cials.html

Suffice to say, the universe we call rock 'n' roll would have been a lot grayer without 2-Tone, and the sounds that followed in its wake.

On a different note, what do folks here think of More Specials? I pulled it out in preparation for my essay above, and I still feel now what I did back then -- once you get past the songs that nod to their signature original groove (Do Nothing, Enjoy Yourself, Man At C&A), it's tough going, for me, anyway.

I can't get behind the musical mission statement that Jerry Dammers was pushing at the time (his stated ambition to fuse Muzak, lounge, and who knows what else), but I'm curious to hear what others think about that.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 9:47pm
Great clips -- great quality! And, of course, you can't beat those songs, though I think they were still finding ways to stay relevant. I loved their reworking of Prince Buster's Ten Commandments -- that was truly an inspired stroke! So was their last album, Protest Songs: 1924-2012.

Suffice to say, the universe we call rock 'n' roll would have been a lot grayer without 2-Tone, and the sounds that followed in its wake.

On a different note, what do folks here think of More Specials? I pulled it out in preparation for my essay above, and I still feel now what I did back then -- once you get past the songs that nod to their signature original groove (Do Nothing, Enjoy Yourself, Man At C&A), it's tough going, for me, anyway.

I can't get behind the musical mission statement that Jerry Dammers was pushing at the time (his stated ambition to fuse Muzak, lounge, and who knows what else), but I'm curious to hear what others think about that.
I liked Hey, Little Rich Girl and Sock It To 'Em JB but I can see where you're coming from. I just think they probably needed a new angle so they didn't seem like they were treading water.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
21 Dec 2022, 1:15am
RIP Terry.

“You’re Wondering Now” 💔...

Is that Steve Craddock on guitar?

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 9:47pm

I really like what they were going for on More Specials. I think the album suffers a bit from its sequencing, though, with "classic sound" on the A side and the experimental sound on the B side. I would have preferred the material to be more integrated.

There's obvious connective tissue between London Calling and The Specials' debut with the ska revival/reggae thing of 1979, but something less noted (afaik) is the Latin music element that similarly connects Sandinista and More Specials.

You could make a mix of the Latin-tinged/easy listening S! material (Washington Bullets, If Music Could Talk, Corner Soul, Let's Go Crazy, Street Parade) and More Specials material (all of the second side, basically) that would fit together like a glove.

I haven't explored all of the major Ska Revival bands' second albums, but I have a hunch that some of that Latin-fever would be found on those as well. I think it'd be an interesting subject to do a deep dive on.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

While you can never beat the debut for energy and immediacy, I find More Specials increasingly intriguing over the years with a lot of depth. Stereotypes in particular is a song which rewards a lot of repeat listens and becomes addictive.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Silent Majority wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 10:24am
While you can never beat the debut for energy and immediacy, I find More Specials increasingly intriguing over the years with a lot of depth. Stereotypes in particular is a song which rewards a lot of repeat listens and becomes addictive.
Stereotypes might be my fave Specials song, so I'll cosign this.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!