movies

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: movies

Post by Flex »

tepista wrote:
22 Dec 2022, 7:08pm
Flex wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 1:03am
Tep, have you seen The Leech yet? High recommendation, one of the most fucked up Christmas horror movies I think I've ever seen. "I snorted mama" deserves a place alongside "it's garbage day" imho
No, is it new? Streaming?
Yeah, just came out like a month ago. On Arrow Video, so on their streaming services or rent on video on demand. Not sure it's anywhere else right now (apple was doing a promo of all titles from the arrow catalog for sale for streaming for like 2.99 each, don't know if they're still doing that or not, that's how I got it).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

tepista wrote:
22 Dec 2022, 7:08pm
revbob wrote:
22 Dec 2022, 6:54pm
Saw Pearl. It was pretty good. I honestly thought it was going to be bloodier.
Movie of the year for me. Watched it a 2nd time just this week.
I liked it.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

One on Top of the Other aka Perversion Story (1969) Early giallo from Lucio Fulci about a man who’s sickly wife dies, and is surprised that she left him a huge insurance settlement, as they hated each other. Even more surprising, he finds a prostitute that looks exactly liker her and becomes obsessed. OK, you can’t stand being around your wife, but if you have to pay to sleep with her, then you’re suddenly into it! None of the gore Lucio would later become famous for, but all the sleazy sex and ultra-mod sets and clothes to make this one a blast. Marisa Mell was dynamite in the dual role. Too bad she’s not in a lot of gialli. (DVD)

Voyage Into Space (1970) A 10 year old kid and a government spy get shipwrecked on an island, where the boy somehow ends up with the controls for an indestructible robot created for space villains to conquer the world. Now anointed a member of the government agency, Johnny commands his robot to battle various kaiju under the orders of the evil Emperor Guillotine. Edited from episodes of 1967's Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot (even though his name was "Giant Robot"), this one easily got as much TV time in my house as Gamera. I remember Guillotine's exploding fingernails as if it were yesterday. (Amazon Prime)

Don’t Worry Darling (2022) OK, Olivia Wilde is married to Nick Kroll in this movie, so right off the bat I’m not really sure how serious we’re supposed to take this. Florence Pugh (Midsommar) and her husband are living the American Dream in a Stepford-esqe late 50s community where everyone listens to R&B records and wives don’t ask questions. If it seems too good to be true then perhaps it is. What is the corporation’s big secret? Style over substance, overall pretty “meh”. (HBOMAX)

Blade: The Iron Cross (2020) The most popular of the Puppet Master puppets, Blade gets his own movie. Nazi reanimation experiments are happening in the USA, and a pretty, and often naked newspaper reporter is getting to close. Good thing she has the Blade doll to protect her because… Toulon was her uncle or something? I don’t even remember. Lots of boobs and blood, the budget didn’t spend too much on animatronics in the one, it looked as if someone was just holding the doll with their hand off-screen. The 14th Puppet Master movie is only 70 minutes long. (TUBI)

Puppet Master: Doktor Death (2022) When an assisted living resident dies, the orderlies find the “Doktor Death” doll in his closet, and you guessed it, it starts killing people. Some gore and nudity, in this, the 15 enrty in the series that passes for a feature despite its runtime of only 59 minutes! Wrestling superstar Allie/The Bunny has a small role. (TUBI)

Blind Date (1984) SciFi slasher where a blind man undergoes experimental surgery that allow computer images to beam directly into his brain through a Sony Walkman. Eventually he crosses paths with the psycho who has been wide-awake autopsies to all the pretty girls in town! Brief nudity from Kirstie Alley and Lana Clarkson, gratuitous nudity from Marina Sirtis and several others. Entertaining bad movie. (Midnight Pulp)

Mill of the Stone Women (1960) An art professor runs a carousel of horrific stone statues for public amusement. He and his doctor assistant drain blood from the town's lovely ladies to transfuse into his sick but beautiful daughter, that keeps her rising from the dead. Like House of Wax meets Eyes Without a Face. Some great visuals in this one, and with surprise, albeit brief nudity. A nipple shows up at one hour and 26 minutes! This gothic goodie is one of the first Italian horror films to be shot in color, I understand. (SHUDDER)

Speak No Evil (2022) A Danish family of three hits it off with a Dutch family of three that they met on vacation, but the follow-up weekend visit is not nearly as pleasant. I’ll leave it right there, but just know that if you’re looking for the feel-good hit of the winter, this ain’t it! Good movie. (SHUDDER)

Christmas Bloody Christmas (2022) An animatronic Santa goes haywire and torments some record store workers, slashing a few bystanders along the way. Likeable characters for once (I thought, at least), booze, drugs, sex, rock n roll, long-haired cops. I thought maybe Santa coulda dropped a few more one-liners for camp sake, but overall a fun ride. This is the 3rd winner in a row from Joe Begos, who previously brought us VFW and Bliss. (SHUDDER)

War of the Planets (1966) The second of Antonio Margheriti's Gamma One Quadrilogy sees a New Year’s Eve party on a space station disrupted when it’s discovered the inhabitants of the sister station have turned into living statues, and some members under brain-control. With booze, lots of colors, and an elaborate model space station. Lisa Gastoni, Tony Russell, and Franco Nero all reprise their roles from the previous year’s Wild Wild Planet. (TCM/cable)
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

tepista wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 7:43pm
Christmas Bloody Christmas (2022) An animatronic Santa goes haywire and torments some record store workers, slashing a few bystanders along the way. Likeable characters for once (I thought, at least), booze, drugs, sex, rock n roll, long-haired cops. I thought maybe Santa coulda dropped a few more one-liners for camp sake, but overall a fun ride. This is the 3rd winner in a row from Joe Begos, who previously brought us VFW and Bliss. (SHUDDER)
I have some friends who are really down on this movie, but I loved it. It's basically like if High Fidelity was a trash slasher movie in the 70s and the terminator was in it. Sounds good to me!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 12:19am
tepista wrote:
I have some friends who are really down on this movie, but I loved it. It's basically like if High Fidelity was a trash slasher movie in the 70s and the terminator was in it. Sounds good to me!
It's also U2's best song.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

JennyB wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 4:12pm
Flex wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 12:19am
tepista wrote:
It's also U2's best song.
Good one, JB. Whenever I watch Flesh for Frankenstein my wife comes in singing Billy Idol.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Glass Onion was pretty good. I liked it better than Knives Out.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 10:03pm
Has Daniel Craig learned to do an accent yet?

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 10:32pm
Mimi wrote:
No.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 10:33pm
revbob wrote:
24 Dec 2022, 10:32pm
Mimi wrote:
No.
I now associate him with a line on You're the Worst—he looks like an upset baby.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

We're watching Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, a movie whose central premise is that 80% of children are selfish assholes who deserve miserable fates.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Dec 2022, 5:07pm
We're watching Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, a movie whose central premise is that 80% of children are selfish assholes who deserve miserable fates.
no points for failing to rhyme that message like an Oompa-Loompa.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
27 Dec 2022, 3:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
So, about fifteen years ago, the Boss and I ventured out to the west coast to see my sister and her family, as well as some cousins. We were having dinner and I asked about one cousin who wasn't there but lived in the Vancouver area. My sister said he was working at a local candy factory. My cousin Al added with perfect cheery timing, "He's an Oompa-Loompa!" While we watched yesterday, the Boss asked, "Which one is your cousin Kevin?" "I think he's the middle one," I said.

(Later on, I googled my cousin. According to linked-in, he's still an Oompa-Loompa.)

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Dec 2022, 3:46pm
tepista wrote:
27 Dec 2022, 3:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
So, about fifteen years ago, the Boss and I ventured out to the west coast to see my sister and her family, as well as some cousins. We were having dinner and I asked about one cousin who wasn't there but lived in the Vancouver area. My sister said he was working at a local candy factory. My cousin Al added with perfect cheery timing, "He's an Oompa-Loompa!" While we watched yesterday, the Boss asked, "Which one is your cousin Kevin?" "I think he's the middle one," I said.

(Later on, I googled my cousin. According to linked-in, he's still an Oompa-Loompa.)
Ooompa Loompa Doopity Dozens
Hooks and his wife went west to see cousins...

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Assassination Nation (2018) Violent satire about four high school girls and the hatred that engulfs Anytown USA when an anonymous hacker makes much of the population’s private life public. A theatrical flop, I thought it was a blast. From director Sam (son of Barry) Levinson. (HBO)

My Dear Killer (1972) George Hilton is a detective who links a staged suicide and the murders that follow to a botched kidnapping from a short while earlier. Pretty good giallo, most of it sown from the cop’s viewpoint. A bit of nudity, one particularly fantastic buzz-saw killing, and a Morricone score. (SHUDDER)

Crimes of the Future (2022) Is it a crime for a kid to eat and digests plastic? Or man to rapidly grow tumors and have them removed during public displays? I’m really not quite sure how much I liked this movie, but it was sure a visual sensation from the king of body horror, David Cronenberg, his first in eight years. Also with a good amount of nudity. With Croneberg fave, Viggo Mortensen. (HULU)

Adult Swim Yule Log aka The Fireplace (2022) A video of a fireplace witnesses a murder, then turns into a full-fledged, feature length, absurd comedy/slasher with multiple outrageous plot turns. If you like comedy slashers, then I would recommend. (HBO)

Murder Mansion (1972) Several groups of unrelated travelers get lost in the fog and end up in a mansion where the former owner was a witch, and then the killings start. Kind of like a gothy-giallo, but not graphically violent, and no nudity, though there were several opportunities for each. This was OK, nothing I’d consciously watch twice, even though about halfway through I realized I’d seen it a few years ago under an alt title, Maniac Mansion. (SHUDDER)

Godzilla vs Megalon (1973) The toga-wearing undersea kingdom of Seatopia sends Megalon, a cockroach on two legs with drills for hands, and Gigan, who has a working buzzsaw in his belly to destroy the world. Some toy makers send their flying robot, Jet Jaguar, to find Godzilla and bring him for help. The robot becomes self-aware and somehow programs himself to grow from human size to giant monster size, and the rest is like a tag team wrestling match. I know these movies are made for 10 year olds, but did anyone ever notice that the truck driving kidnappers had titty-magazine centerfolds taped up in the car, and they were shown several times? When this movie got it’s US theatrical release a few years later, the posters had the monsters fighting atop the World Trade Center, to mimic the 1976 version of King Kong. (Midnight Pulp)

Shark Night 3D (in 2D) (2011) Louisiana co-eds are attacked by sharks in a lake. 10 years ago I wrote a positive review for this garbage! Was I high? Was I trying to go against public opinion. I guess we’ll never know. It was fucking awful, and to ice the cake the mostly white cast fucking rapped after the end credits. I should have left well enough alone, I could have still been the only person walking around saying Shark Night was good. (cable)

The Town that Dreaded Sundown (2014) Interesting sort-of remake of the 1976 film of the same name loosely based on some real-life killings in 1940s Texarkana. Set in modern day, this year’s annual Drive-In showing of the 1976 film sparks a series of copycat killings that has law enforcement from both Texas and Arkansas baffled, and one teenage girl (Addison Timlin) terrorized. A good, serious performance from comedian Anthony Anderson as a Texas Ranger. Gary Cole and Ed Lauter play cops, Dennis O’Hare is a conspiracy theorist, and Veronica Cartwright (Alien) is the main girl’s grandma. Very creative the way they used the older film in the plot, however the ending was derivative of another well-known slasher. Feature film debut for director Alfonso Gomez-Rejon. (cable)

Silent Night (2012) Remake of the 1984 controversial slasher classic Silent Night, Deadly Night, this doesn’t retain much of the original story, other than the killer is in a Santa suit. They do throw a couple nods at the original though, including the impalement of a young woman onto a taxidermed buck, and made a reference to a line in SNDN2 as well. Scream Queen Jaime King plays a small town deputy and Malcolm McDowall has about a dozen corny lines as the sheriff. They’re up against it when a psycho in a Santa suit goes on a Xmas eve murder spree. Average slasher, worth a watch, but not particularly memorable, and with one extended scene of some good nudity. (SHUDDER)

The Last Drive-In Presents: Joe Bob’s Ghoultide Get-Together

Don’t Open till Christmas (1984) Edmund Purdum, who plays the Dean in Pieces, stars and also directs his one and only feature for the producers of Pieces. So, yeah. On the sleazy streets of London, someone is murdering men in Santa suits. One of them gets his dick cut off in a urinal. The main girl’s boyfriend tries to get her to pose for nude pictures the day after her father dies, and then runs off on a different nude model wearing a Santa robe for fear of cops thinking he might be gay, leaving her to fend for herself against the killer, and he was supposed to be a protagonist! Then late in the film a stripper gets kidnapped and suddenly she’s the main girl! Then Caroline Munro shows up as a pop singer in one scene only for no reason. Sleazy as fuck, and with nudity, this one is ridiculous and fucking great.

A Christmas Horror Story (2015) Four tied-together tales of terror on Christmas Eve. A couple’s child temporarily lost in the woods is not the same when they return home. A group of teens sneak in to the school to shoot videos on the one year anniversary of a murder, and unleash an evil force. A selfish family with car trouble run afoul of Krampus while trying to escape through the woods. Santa Claus must fight off his once-loyal elves, now infected with a zombie virus. All tied together by radio DJ William Shatner, who becomes increasingly drunk on air while spinning his yuletide faves. Dynamite ending. Directors Brett Sullivan, Steve Hoban and Grant Harvey all have connections in the Ginger Snaps trilogy. Instant classic, you’ll want to watch this one year after year. This may already be the 5th or 6th for me.

During the breaks Joe Bob and Darcy auction items for charity and open the doors of an advent calendar with not-so-great gifts. Joe Bob explains the troubled production of "Don't Open..." and why it's such a disjointed mess.