"I said-a hip, hop, the hippie, the hippie" - The Hip Hop Thread

General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

"I said-a hip, hop, the hippie, the hippie" - The Hip Hop Thread

Post by WestwayKid »

I love hip hop. Who else out there loves (or at least likes hip hop)? The first record that ever felt dangerous to me was License to Ill. They had a vinyl copy at the local library and I checked it out, took it home and made a copy on the sly. It felt like something I should keep from my parents (who actually probably would have been fine with it). That record was my gateway into the World of Hip Hop: Run-D.M.C., Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Brand Nubian. When I started getting into groups like the Clash a few years later, it was cool to hear how much they too appeared to love hip hop.

I love the music, how they start with a good beat and then build off that: layers of instruments and samples. It becomes hypnotic to listen to. I love the flow of a good MC, the way their voice weaves in and out and around the beats. I especially love groups that have more than one MC, like Tribe, where the interplay between Q-Tip and Phife was almost telepathic - trading lines and rhymes and playing off one another.

Top-15 Greatest Hip Hop Groups (in my opinion)

1) Wu-Tang Clan (actually not my fave, but the greatest none-the-less)
2) A Tribe Called Quest
3) Run-D.M.C.
4) N.W.A.
5) The Roots
6) De La Soul
7) Public Enemy
8) Beastie Boys
9) Bone Thugs-N-Harmony
10) Geto Boys
11) Three 6 Mafia
12) Brand Nubian
13) Cypress Hill
14) Fugees
15) The LOX
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: "I said-a hip, hop, the hippie, the hippie" - The Hip Hop Thread

Post by oliver »

My top few would be
1) Public Enemy (especially the first 3 albums)
2) Ice-T
3) Ice Cube
4) Beastie Boys
5) Kool Keith
6) Eric B and Rakim
7) EPMD
8) BDP

Some of the early 90s lyrics can be, shall we say, problematic but I can compartmentalize it.

There's something very hypnotic about a repeated loop over a sparse drum beat
Last edited by oliver on 04 Jan 2023, 12:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

oliver wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 12:02pm
My top 5 would be
1) Public Enemy (especially the first 3 albums)
2) Ice-T
3) Ice Cube
4) Beastie Boys
5) Kool Keith

Some of the early 90s lyrics can be, shall we say, problematic but I can compartmentalize it.
I agree with that for sure.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

1. Wu Tang + it's splinter groups and solo projects, Czarface is one of the best regularly releasing Hip-hop records today!
2. Nas
3.Ganstar
4.NWA
5.Public enemy
6.Roots Manuva (Often forgotten about British legend)
7.Run the Jewels

Plenty of others to add but they are on regular rotation on the turntable...My Wu tang collection is on par with my my clash if not bigger....

Wu Tang is for the children!
I highly recommend the 4 part Wu Tang documentary called of Mics and Men. Think it's on Sky Arts and of course Blu ray

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I'm not as much of a hip hop guy as I wish I was. The genre is just so vital and evolving relative to rock now, that I'm missing out on terrific art. I got into the usual late 80s/early 90s stuff that early middle age white guys love, so yeah, 88-93 Ice Cube, Tribe, BDP, NWA, Naughty By Nature, Outkast, Run the Jewels are all on my list.

That being said, Kendrick Lamar is just light years ahead of anything else as far as I'm concerned. He makes all of those groups seem so so dated (as they are). Same for Kanye, specifically Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and Yeezus, though I'm obviously on indefinite hiatus from Kanye. Travis Scott and 21 Savage are doing some crazy stuff within the trap subgenre which is still something that is intriguing but foreign and difficult for me to really penetrate.

Also, not sure why these really trashy songs appeal to me, but I can't help but like them:

Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 1:03pm
I'm not as much of a hip hop guy as I wish I was. The genre is just so vital and evolving relative to rock now, that I'm missing out on terrific art. I got into the usual late 80s/early 90s stuff that early middle age white guys love, so yeah, 88-93 Ice Cube, Tribe, BDP, NWA, Naughty By Nature, Outkast, Run the Jewels are all on my list.

That being said, Kendrick Lamar is just light years ahead of anything else as far as I'm concerned. He makes all of those groups seem so so dated (as they are). Same for Kanye, specifically Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and Yeezus, though I'm obviously on indefinite hiatus from Kanye. Travis Scott and 21 Savage are doing some crazy stuff within the trap subgenre which is still something that is intriguing but foreign and difficult for me to really penetrate.

Also, not sure why these really trashy songs appeal to me, but I can't help but like them:

I saw Kendrick Lamar at an outdoor show in Chicago maybe 10 years ago and they had this older white dude doing sign language off to the side and it was crazy to watch this dude trying to keep up!!

matedog

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 1:33pm

I saw Kendrick Lamar at an outdoor show in Chicago maybe 10 years ago and they had this older white dude doing sign language off to the side and it was crazy to watch this dude trying to keep up!!
That's wild! Just found this awesome clip:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Public Enemy
KRS-1
Ice-T
Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy
Michael Franti's early post DHoH before he turned into Dave Matthews is good too.
Dead Prez.
Salt n Peppa
Early Queen Latifah
MC Lyte

Dont much care for the flow of a lot of the newer stuff.

matedog

Post by matedog »

God damn this performance is brilliant. First part is a little slow, but keep with it.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kendrick Lamar is great. I like pretty much everything that's been listed so far. I spent a lot of my youth not into much hip-hop outside of PE, Run-DMC, Cypress Hill, etc. simply due to how much it had been embraced by the affluent white jock shitheads (and so forth) I went to school with. Took me a while to circle back and gain an appreciation for post-80s hip-hop and rap. I'll admit, a lot of the newest stuff doesn't do much for me. I've speculated that it might be the influence of trap, which I don't really care for, on the genre. It's become very ubiquitous, especially with some of the biggest names going. Stuff like Kendrick doesn't have as much of that and I like it a lot more.

Let me toss out Guru (of Gang Starr)'s Jazzmatazz albums. Love 'em. Especially that first one.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Public Enemy was really important at their peak. They called out white as well as black racists. The public (well, mostly white public) was really caught by their confrontational approach (imitated by many, duplicated by none). Run-DMC still shines despite sounded aged.

I'm an East Coaster/New Yorker so my bias shows. I saw Kurtis Blow open for the Clash on the pier in NYC so I'm old school as well. I try to keep up but it's difficult.

As far as I am aware, Public Enemy was the first to have a ASL interpreter on tour. The woman is dancing while she signs!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sEBOCkHCW70

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mine are pretty much stuck in the 80s/90s

1. Public Enemy
2. Beastie Boys
3. Eric B and Rakim
4. A Tribe Called Quest
5. Run DMC
6. LL Cool J
7. N.W.A.
8. Salt n Pepa
9. De La Soul
10. Notorious B.I.G.

ETA: Oh, jeez, I forgot Outkast.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Flex wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 2:47pm
Kendrick Lamar is great.
I tried to like To Pimp a Butterfly but couldn't get into it. King Kunta is probably my favourite rap song of the last 10 years though.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

We visited the Universal Hip Hop Museum in the Bronx last September. Really cool place, lots to see and do. They're in the process of building a bigger, permanent museum across the street and I think we'll make it a priority to get back and check it out then. Being in NYC it had a definite East Coast vibe to it, with West Coast not getting as much visibility.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

1) DJ Hollywood

The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.