Kory wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 2:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 2:15pm
Kory wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 2:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 1:44pm
Man, that's weird. You'd think the internet is growed up enough that web pages wouldn't vary that wildly depending on browser and OS.
It's the bane of my professional existence. Even FF and Chrome used to render things pretty much the same but they've been diverging from each other for years now.
Even for key action elements like a download button? That's seriously strange to me. I get if layout can be screwy, but outright omitting elements is nuts.
Yeah the built-in PDF viewers on browsers are mostly different, and completely missing in some browsers.
Curious that as the internet is more and more tamed and controlled by fewer and fewer companies that that kind of variation would persist.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Re: Public Image Limited

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Ok so its definitely a chromebook issue as i have tested it on my windows Laptop and using both browsers Edge and chrome both were fine, Thinking about it i haven't downloaded any pdf dedicated software and just use the chromebooks pdf default program so that might be an issue but i am not going to download adobe to test that but its the chromebook initially that behaved differently. So if you are using a chromebook stick a "1" at the end of the link :shifty:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Tangentially related, it's amazing to me how many young people don't use dedicated pdf browsers. The past couple years, for obvious reasons, all student submissions have been pdf's, so my comments are all embedded stickies. And you can't open those if you use a web browser to read the document. Yet, despite my announcement to use a pdf browser, I always get student emails saying they can't read the comments. One of the great myths that just won't die is that young people know how to use computers. They don't. They aren't that far off from nana using Facebook as a search engine.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 2:27pm
Kory wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 2:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 2:15pm
Kory wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 2:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 1:44pm
Man, that's weird. You'd think the internet is growed up enough that web pages wouldn't vary that wildly depending on browser and OS.
It's the bane of my professional existence. Even FF and Chrome used to render things pretty much the same but they've been diverging from each other for years now.
Even for key action elements like a download button? That's seriously strange to me. I get if layout can be screwy, but outright omitting elements is nuts.
Yeah the built-in PDF viewers on browsers are mostly different, and completely missing in some browsers.
Curious that as the internet is more and more tamed and controlled by fewer and fewer companies that that kind of variation would persist.
I know, it drives me to the brink of madness—the amount of extra work I have to put in to accommodate these different companies is such a time waster when they could all just agree on a standard instead.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 3:47pm
Tangentially related, it's amazing to me how many young people don't use dedicated pdf browsers. The past couple years, for obvious reasons, all student submissions have been pdf's, so my comments are all embedded stickies. And you can't open those if you use a web browser to read the document. Yet, despite my announcement to use a pdf browser, I always get student emails saying they can't read the comments. One of the great myths that just won't die is that young people know how to use computers. They don't. They aren't that far off from nana using Facebook as a search engine.
They know how to use phones, but unless they're working in IT or programming, there's not much reason to know much else really.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Ok lets get interesting now and play spot the difference taking in to account they are a screen shot of this site and of a photo i posted

On My Android phone i see this

On My chrome book i see this

How can a photo show different text on different devices i am not winding you up here really i am not

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 4:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 3:47pm
They know how to use phones, but unless they're working in IT or programming, there's not much reason to know much else really.
Which is understandable, but there's this long-standing myth (maybe it's just in academia?) that because they've grown up with the tech they're savvy. And it's so not true.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
12 Aug 2022, 4:09pm
Ok lets get interesting now and play spot the difference taking in to account they are a screen shot of this site and of a photo i posted

On My Android phone i see this

On My chrome book i see this

How can a photo show different text on different devices i am not winding you up here really i am not
Bizarre. I rarely use my phone for internet stuff, so it's not something I've especially noticed.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

The thing is thats a photo that should be static we are not talking about dynamic code processing that can show differing results .

The first photo shows "Get App" the second shows "Share" now i am very confused :huh: how can it change the photo ???

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

It suggests to me that the photo that it display back after i uploaded it to get the link must have embedded code in the photo

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

New PiL song, a very nice love song to Nora, is aiming to be Ireland's entry to Eurovision.

a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 8:16am
New PiL song, a very nice love song to Nora, is aiming to be Ireland's entry to Eurovision.

Whatever the sentiment and sincere expression of his love and concern, that's … that's not fit for public consumption. In construction or performance, it is not something that generates the emotions that he wants.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 8:34am
Silent Majority wrote:

Whatever the sentiment and sincere expression of his love and concern, that's … that's not fit for public consumption. In construction or performance, it is not something that generates the emotions that he wants.
Sentiment can easily miss the target, of course. It's total subjectivity, but I think the simplicity of the lyrics and the sweetness of the tune match the message of communicating with someone who's losing their comprehension.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Hello,

I was just going to post this. John's trying to sing/croon. I don't think that's his strength.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 12:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Sentiment can easily miss the target, of course. It's total subjectivity, but I think the simplicity of the lyrics and the sweetness of the tune match the message of communicating with someone who's losing their comprehension.
As gkbill suggests above, John's delivery does not play to his strengths, which hinders the effect, and the lyrics, to me, are first-draft quality. There's simplicity and then there's bland. It's one of those songs, given its intent, that might be better kept private. It shouldn't be scrutinized by assholes like me, but releasing it puts it in that realm.

It does, however, highlight that when she does pass, it's going to be devastating for that old bastard in a way that he hasn't experienced since, perhaps, his mother's death.