Whatcha reading?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jan 2023, 12:21pm
Read this issue by issue when it came out, but now sitting down to read the whole thing at once. I think it has a claim to being one of the very best FF stories. Like the Spider-man Life Story series, it reimagines Marvel heroes aging in real time, and follows them decade by decade. In this version, the moment that the four are exposed to cosmic rays, Reed Richards has a vision of Galactus coming to destroy Earth and devotes the rest of his life to preparing for that moment. It's obsession that is heroic and self-destructive.
I just read this too and really liked it, probably more than the Spider-Man one. One thing struck me though—I thought Reed and Ben were friends from college, but in this book Johnny is the one that bring Ben in. Is this some artistic license, or am I incorrect on the origin story?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 1:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Read this issue by issue when it came out, but now sitting down to read the whole thing at once. I think it has a claim to being one of the very best FF stories. Like the Spider-man Life Story series, it reimagines Marvel heroes aging in real time, and follows them decade by decade. In this version, the moment that the four are exposed to cosmic rays, Reed Richards has a vision of Galactus coming to destroy Earth and devotes the rest of his life to preparing for that moment. It's obsession that is heroic and self-destructive.
I just read this too and really liked it, probably more than the Spider-Man one. One thing struck me though—I thought Reed and Ben were friends from college, but in this book Johnny is the one that bring Ben in. Is this some artistic license, or am I incorrect on the origin story?
Yup, that's a notable change. In the conventional account, Reed and Ben met in college (I think they were assigned as dormmates?) and, I think, both served in the Korean War.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 1:55pm
Kory wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 1:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yup, that's a notable change. In the conventional account, Reed and Ben met in college (I think they were assigned as dormmates?) and, I think, both served in the Korean War.
Ok, thanks for confirming. I thought my knowledge of Marvel origin stories was becoming questionable, and we all know where that leads.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Speaking of reading comics, I've pretty much abandoned my Daredevil immersion. I'm maybe a year and a half into Chichester's stories and, fucking hell, I am bored silly. Honestly, DD has been plagued by awful writers (and artists) over the years. A fantastic character who gets dumped into tedious "gritty" street stories or *sigh* ninjas ninjas ninjas.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 2:29pm
Speaking of reading comics, I've pretty much abandoned my Daredevil immersion. I'm maybe a year and a half into Chichester's stories and, fucking hell, I am bored silly. Honestly, DD has been plagued by awful writers (and artists) over the years. A fantastic character who gets dumped into tedious "gritty" street stories or *sigh* ninjas ninjas ninjas.
Chichester did not do him justice, it's true. The art for Fall from Grace is really unique and fun to look, at but it's a slog and a half to actually read. Are you not going to just skip ahead to Bendis, Brubaker and them (skipping Diggle, of course)? The post-Waid Chip Zdarsky stuff has been pretty good. I know the Marvel Knights era bugs you for the old standby of fucking up Murdock's life, but I think it's reasonably well-written at least (particularly Brubaker).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 3:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Chichester did not do him justice, it's true. The art for Fall from Grace is really unique and fun to look, at but it's a slog and a half to actually read. Are you not going to just skip ahead to Bendis, Brubaker and them (skipping Diggle, of course)? The post-Waid Chip Zdarsky stuff has been pretty good. I know the Marvel Knights era bugs you for the old standby of fucking up Murdock's life, but I think it's reasonably well-written at least (particularly Brubaker).
I started reading DD originally when Kevin Smith killed Karen Page and have been steady since. Really liked Bendis and Waid, but the others have been pretty meh to me (a rare case where Brubaker's writing didn't wow me). I keep at it, but more often than not, I don't get terribly invested in the story. This reading I've been doing has made me appreciate Waid's lighter interpretation all the more.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
In the 80s, in my early teens and at the height of the ninja movie craze, I took some Tae Kwon Do classes, bought throwing stars from the flea market, and I’d occasionally buy various martial arts magazines from the local corner shop. I remember reading a fairly convincing article about how FDR was killed by ninjas. I’ve chosen to accept it as factual history.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 3:46pm
Kory wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 3:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I started reading DD originally when Kevin Smith killed Karen Page and have been steady since. Really liked Bendis and Waid, but the others have been pretty meh to me (a rare case where Brubaker's writing didn't wow me). I keep at it, but more often than not, I don't get terribly invested in the story. This reading I've been doing has made me appreciate Waid's lighter interpretation all the more.
I really only keep up with X-titles anymore, and those are starting to vary pretty wildly in quality. I like that there are so many mutant characters, but it means they need to have a jillion titles just to satisfy every reader's need to see their favorite character. Makes me wish I was more into FF or something else that just has the one book (though I do like them, and I've heard the recent Dan Slott stuff is pretty good—it's just that nothing will replace X-Men as my primary interest). I'm subscribed to both current DD and Dr. Strange, but I haven't had the motivation yet to actually read them.

The real quality is in non-Marvel/DC books, so that's where I spend most of my money.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 3:49pm
I remember reading a fairly convincing article about how FDR was killed by ninjas. I’ve chosen to accept it as factual history.
I want this to be true in the worst way.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 4:15pm
I really only keep up with X-titles anymore, and those are starting to vary pretty wildly in quality. I like that there are so many mutant characters, but it means they need to have a jillion titles just to satisfy every reader's need to see their favorite character. Makes me wish I was more into FF or something else that just has the one book (though I do like them, and I've heard the recent Dan Slott stuff is pretty good—it's just that nothing will replace X-Men as my primary interest). I'm subscribed to both current DD and Dr. Strange, but I haven't had the motivation yet to actually read them.

The real quality is in non-Marvel/DC books, so that's where I spend most of my money.
I read (i.e., pirate) Spider-man, FF, DD, and Captain America, albeit more out of habit than genuine enjoyment. Of them all, Spider-man has been the best of late, but I'm not exactly panting for more. The main thing that I want is to be excited for the next issue to find out what happens next, but I rarely get that with contemporary comics. Honestly, Brubaker/Phillips are the only people in the comics biz that generate legit excitement for me.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 4:17pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
I remember reading a fairly convincing article about how FDR was killed by ninjas. I’ve chosen to accept it as factual history.
A ninja made him smoke ninety a day.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Silent Majority wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 4:34pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 4:17pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
A ninja made him smoke ninety a day.
Ninjas are sneaky like that.

edit – Although if I remember correctly, it was the ol’ poisoned blow dart to the chest. Same thing really.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I assume this is the story: https://historyofyesterday.com/franklin ... se-defeat/

A friend and colleague is an FDR scholar, so I'm obliged to pass this on to completely wreck his syllabus.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 4:47pm
I assume this is the story: https://historyofyesterday.com/franklin ... se-defeat/

A friend and colleague is an FDR scholar, so I'm obliged to pass this on to completely wreck his syllabus.
Ha, that’s gotta be it! Can’t believe you found that. :lol: I recalled a blow dart to the chest, but I guess it was to the back of the head. I read about it around 36 years ago, so my memory is a little vague.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 5:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 4:47pm

Ha, that’s gotta be it! Can’t believe you found that. :lol: I recalled a blow dart to the chest, but I guess it was to the back of the head. I read about it around 36 years ago, so my memory is a little vague.
First hit googling "fdr ninjas." Dystopia aside, the internet demonstrates its worth.