Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by revbob »

My hair is sort of getting towards Animal from Anti Nowhere League.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

revbob wrote:
08 Jan 2023, 7:54pm
My hair is sort of getting towards Animal from Anti Nowhere League.
:cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Furnace guy came around today and diagnosed the problem immediately: defective solenoid in the humidifier. The part is covered (tho has to be ordered in still) but we’re paying for the labour (a five-minute job that costs the full hour). But he knew exactly what it was from my description, tho he was a bit confused why sometimes it worked properly. And the reason why I could hear the noise in the water heater was connected pipes.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 7:21pm
Furnace guy came around today and diagnosed the problem immediately: defective solenoid in the humidifier. The part is covered (tho has to be ordered in still) but we’re paying for the labour (a five-minute job that costs the full hour). But he knew exactly what it was from my description, tho he was a bit confused why sometimes it worked properly. And the reason why I could hear the noise in the water heater was connected pipes.
Nice. So, does the furnace guy also do work on humidifiers?

I had a problem with my clothes dryer a year or two ago. Turned out I needed a new starter switch or something like that (forget exactly what it was called). I managed to do it myself, using google as my repair manual. $100 part, plus a $10 circuit tester, and it took me a week to diagnose the problem and order the part, but it probably would have been at least $300 if I had a repairman do it.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 7:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yup. All part of the same system.
I had a problem with my clothes dryer a year or two ago. Turned out I needed a new starter switch or something like that (forget exactly what it was called). I managed to do it myself, using google as my repair manual. $100 part, plus a $10 circuit tester, and it took me a week to diagnose the problem and order the part, but it probably would have been at least $300 if I had a repairman do it.
I wish I had that aptitude but I'm really inept with that stuff and just get frustrated and self-loathing (more so than usual) when I try.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 7:50pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I wish I had that aptitude but I'm really inept with that stuff and just get frustrated and self-loathing (more so than usual) when I try.
The older I get, the more I take most repairs as a challenge. Rather than pay a repairman $300, I probably would have bought a new dryer (mine is 15-20 years old). I’d never done dryer repairs before (except maybe a fuse or something), but a google search with the model number made it pretty easy to troubleshoot. I still occasionally fear electrocuting myself, but it is very satisfying when I get it right and cheat the repairman/death one more time. I figure as long as I remember to unplug the fucking thing before I go nosing around, I'm probably safe. The $10 circuit tester, which I bought for the job and am happy to now have in my toolkit, allowed me to check a half dozen parts before I nailed down the problem, and then it was as easy as playing with Legos.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 8:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The older I get, the more I take most repairs as a challenge. Rather than pay a repairman $300, I probably would have bought a new dryer (mine is 15-20 years old). I’d never done dryer repairs before (except maybe a fuse or something), but a google search with the model number made it pretty easy to troubleshoot. I still occasionally fear electrocuting myself, but it is very satisfying when I get it right and cheat the repairman/death one more time. I figure as long as I remember to unplug the fucking thing before I go nosing around, I'm probably safe. The $10 circuit tester, which I bought for the job and am happy to now have in my toolkit, allowed me to check a half dozen parts before I nailed down the problem, and then it was as easy as playing with Legos.
I stripped and finished the floors and door and window frames on our old house, which is as close as I’ve come to being “handy.” But beyond that, nope, I’m inept. Some shit, I’ve conceded, you pay for.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 8:50pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I stripped and finished the floors and door and window frames on our old house, which is as close as I’ve come to being “handy.” But beyond that, nope, I’m inept. Some shit, I’ve conceded, you pay for.
That's the kind of shit I hate doing. I'll paint but not to keen on the stripping and doing floors etc. Im more comfortable with fixing things doing electrical stuff and minor plumbing. We had our bathroom redone this past summer. It involved some minor electrical work, moving two light fixtures. When we were getting quotes for the work the contractors asked about the electrical work and i figured Id have someone do it as it wasn't that hard and all the other stuff was going on. The electrician came back with a $3000 quote, so I just said fuck it Ill do it myself. There's no way it was $3000 worth of work.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 8:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

That's the kind of shit I hate doing. I'll paint but not to keen on the stripping and doing floors etc. Im more comfortable with fixing things doing electrical stuff and minor plumbing. We had our bathroom redone this past summer. It involved some minor electrical work, moving two light fixtures. When we were getting quotes for the work the contractors asked about the electrical work and i figured Id have someone do it as it wasn't that hard and all the other stuff was going on. The electrician came back with a $3000 quote, so I just said fuck it Ill do it myself. There's no way it was $3000 worth of work.
The floor stripping was done because paying someone would have been so out of our budget. It was a long and miserable experience and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I'm generally averse to doing electrical stuff because, ironically, my dad was an electrician and I'm paranoid of fucking up and causing a fire. My dad, while in some respects was looking out for his profession's interests, was opposed to people doing their own electrical work because they took shortcuts, sometimes out of ignorance, sometimes to save money. I'd be in the ignorance camp, so I just stand back from that. I can hook up a ceiling fan, but that's about as far as I'll go.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 8:44am
revbob wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 8:18am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

The floor stripping was done because paying someone would have been so out of our budget. It was a long and miserable experience and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I'm generally averse to doing electrical stuff because, ironically, my dad was an electrician and I'm paranoid of fucking up and causing a fire. My dad, while in some respects was looking out for his profession's interests, was opposed to people doing their own electrical work because they took shortcuts, sometimes out of ignorance, sometimes to save money. I'd be in the ignorance camp, so I just stand back from that. I can hook up a ceiling fan, but that's about as far as I'll go.
There are a few electricians in my family and I wouldn't touch that shit on my own either.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 9:08am
There are a few electricians in my family and I wouldn't touch that shit on my own either.
A year or so after we bought our house in Saskatoon, we got it rewired because it was still knob and tube. Not dangerous, my dad said, but something to be replaced. So the electricians were doing their thing and one day one of them calls me over and says, "Take a look at this." Inside one of the walls, someone had strung together some extension cords to act as the wiring. I asked him not to share any more of those discoveries with us. :twitch:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 9:53am
Mimi wrote:
A year or so after we bought our house in Saskatoon, we got it rewired because it was still knob and tube. Not dangerous, my dad said, but something to be replaced. So the electricians were doing their thing and one day one of them calls me over and says, "Take a look at this." Inside one of the walls, someone had strung together some extension cords to act as the wiring. I asked him not to share any more of those discoveries with us. :twitch:
Around here that's called Yankee ingenuity.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 10:09am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Around here that's called Yankee ingenuity.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Omg!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 10:38am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Omg!
That has a real "the call is coming from inside the house" feel to it.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy