Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Future of the Republican Party

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 1:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 1:25pm
Franken got booted very quickly, tho in a state with a Democratic governor, so there was no vote loss.
Yeah, I think popular wisdom is that if there had been any chance the seat would have flipped he would not have been asked to resign. Also, to the point about tribalism, there are ton of people both in the party apparatus and just regular voters who think it was a mistake, despite it having absolutely no policy consequences.
Was Franken well regarded as a senator at the time? I couldn't help but think at the time that he must not be taken that seriously by Democrats that they'd push him out so quickly.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 1:38pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Franken got booted very quickly, tho in a state with a Democratic governor, so there was no vote loss.
Yeah, I think popular wisdom is that if there had been any chance the seat would have flipped he would not have been asked to resign. Also, to the point about tribalism, there are ton of people both in the party apparatus and just regular voters who think it was a mistake, despite it having absolutely no policy consequences.
Was Franken well regarded as a senator at the time? I couldn't help but think at the time that he must not be taken that seriously by Democrats that they'd push him out so quickly.
I don't have any idea what national Dems said behind closed doors, but I think generally he was considered fine, if basically fungible (as we saw with his resignation). There's sort of this myth that's grown up around his supporters that he was some unique statesman but he was just... fine (I mean, I guess one could say to his credit he just acted like a normal, replacement level senator in office and didn't try to tap into his showbiz chops or something). Absolutely not someone you go die on a hill for unless he represents a loss of power with his exit.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 1:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I don't have any idea what national Dems said behind closed doors, but I think generally he was considered fine, if basically fungible (as we saw with his resignation). There's sort of this myth that's grown up around his supporters that he was some unique statesman but he was just... fine (I mean, I guess one could say to his credit he just acted like a normal, replacement level senator in office and didn't try to tap into his showbiz chops or something). Absolutely not someone you go die on a hill for unless he represents a loss of power with his exit.
It suggests something that the most I can think about him as a politician is his line that he liked Ted Cruz than most people in Washington, and he fucking hated Ted Cruz.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 1:42pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
For what it's worth, I do remember him shining a light on Devos' ineptitude as particularly enjoyable:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Missouri having an extremely normal one, I see:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

As has been observed by others, wearing masks to limit the spread of a potentially fatal virus signals the death of the republic, but, dammit, women in public gotta cover up their arms for the sake of decency!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Flex wrote:
14 Jan 2023, 8:54pm
So the Taliban are in Missouri now?
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Losing Republican candidate arrested for shooting up 4 prominent Democrats homes in New Mexico.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/losin ... 882fcec7a3
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Flex wrote:
I can't.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 1:00pm
Flex wrote:
I can't.
The American Burqa is still in the design phase but should be available by the start of next years session

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 1:18pm
JennyB wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 1:00pm
Flex wrote:
I can't.
The American Burqa is still in the design phase but should be available by the start of next years session
Wouldn't the easier solution be to not allow women to hold office or vote? If they need instructions on how to dress in public, clearly they shouldn't have a say in public matters.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

There really doesn't seem to be a bottom here, huh?
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/01 ... how-kitara

Would you blink if he were announced as a suspect in a string of unsolved murders on the east coast over the course of two decades?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

George Santos claims he survived ‘assassination attempt,’ had shoes stolen off his feet

https://nypost.com/2023/01/24/george-sa ... n-attempt/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 2:40pm
George Santos claims he survived ‘assassination attempt,’ had shoes stolen off his feet

I think I've said this already, but he's a goddamned Veep character.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 2:40pm

Swear to dog but he reminds me of my ex-husband and his family. They'd go out for a gallon of milk and come back with tales of adventure. They were the biggest, and shittiest, liars/story-tellers. It was so scary how they could tell you what was clearly bs with a straight face. lol I laugh now, but it was painful af at the time. I can't wait to see what happens to this guy.