A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

General music discussion.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Packet of Threes (New, New Challenge Thread)

Post by revbob »

Bam Bam - Villians Also Wear White
Not aot of good quality recordings left from this band. They sometimes get saddled with the grunge label but no this was just a good punk band from Seattle. Success eluded the band and Singer Tina Bell drank herself to death at 55.

Taqbir - Sma3
Female punk band from Morocco kickig ass and taking no prisoners.

The Kominas - Sharia Law in the USA
Pakistani-American punks from Massachusetts. If you like this song do checkout their fairly extensive catalog on Bandcamp. Great music IMHO. Blending different styles worth the effort.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 9:27am
Ballsy, riffy, rocker. What's not to like? 8/10

Taqbir - Sma3 - God damn, those 8th notes hi hats hurt my right forearm just listening to this. Similar, uptempo energetic rocker. Appropriately short given the lack of melodicism. Like it and it's well done, though no exactly my thing. 7/10. I listened to the rest of the EP and it's good stuff.

The Kominas - Sharia Law in the USA - Delightfully subversive. Some nice sorta proggy punk touches. Lots of fun 8/10. Going to dig more into these guys.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Bam Bam - great straight ahead stuff; production is lacking (intentionally?); would've liked cleaner sound; I stuck around after the lead track and liked a lot of the subsequent tracks as well.

TAQBIR - music is good; vocals a bit screamy, a bit hardcore for my tastes but overall good; it's got to be really hot performing in the full-body gear.

The Kominas - pretty catchy stuff; perhaps less break/more consistent rhythm; good bouncy stuff.

All 3 new, all 3 quality! I'll investigate Bam Bam more thoroughly. Thanks!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 6:14pm
Hello,

Bam Bam - great straight ahead stuff; production is lacking (intentionally?); would've liked cleaner sound; I stuck around after the lead track and liked a lot of the subsequent tracks as well.

TAQBIR - music is good; vocals a bit screamy, a bit hardcore for my tastes but overall good; it's got to be really hot performing in the full-body gear.

The Kominas - pretty catchy stuff; perhaps less break/more consistent rhythm; good bouncy stuff.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot of Bam Bam recordings available and this was some of the cleaner sounding songs I found.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 6:17pm
gkbill wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 6:14pm
Hello,

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot of Bam Bam recordings available and this was some of the cleaner sounding songs I found.
Hello,

Sad but true for me. A youtube search didn't bring up much. This and a few others:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Okay Ive been listening to a lot of new stuff of late. I cant recommend Bandcamp enough for finding new music.

The Barbiturates- Super Callous Fascist Racist Tories are Atrocious
What no video on YouTube? They have tons on there but not this one. A DIY band that defies easy classification (experimental I suppose). Check them out you could spend hours in their rabbit hole of music.

Sunny War - No Reason
Folk artist with punk roots. She's coming to VT in March, hope to make it.

KNEECAP - H.O.O.D.

Belfast based hip hop. Lyrics are often sung in Irish, topics are an interesting mix of drugs and politics. Dont lose yer bus pass. The chorus has been running thru my head for the past many days.
Last edited by revbob on 30 Jan 2023, 7:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Barbiturates - it's kind of novelty stuff; sounds unfinished, incomplete; I get trying to be different/simple/direct but I'd like a more rock-influence

Sunny War - really good stuff; she pulls off being smooth but not too smooth; enjoy the show!

KNEECAP - I just listened to CERTA by these guys - that track I'd like better if I could understand the words/language; this track has good rhythm and energy; I'll investigate further.

Thanks for the music! Sunny War was a level above the others for me. I'll get some stuff up later in the week.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Love those, revbob.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

My word... it's structured, but also chaotic. It has an Ace-of-Spades vibe but is also different. I've listened to this many times now. A great start.

Taqbir - Sma3
This one grabs me and doesn't let go but I'm not sure I really like it or whether it's pummeling me into submission

The Kominas - Sharia Law in the USA
A weird mishmash of styles but it still works. TBH, after a minute or so I was wondering where it was going but it came through.

Another three where I enjoyed them all but Bam Bam is a clear winner. Possibly in the top two or three from everything I've heard in these threads.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

The Mysterines - Life's a bitch (but I like it so much): really good rock and roll

Dope Times - Wasted ways: pretty fun poppy 3rd wave ska - Rancid-like (see the video) but better vocals in my opinion - derivative for sure but fun

Starcrawler - She said: Again, really good rock and roll - is that a problem?

Last edited by gkbill on 07 Feb 2023, 7:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 4:30pm
Hello,

The Mysterines - Life's a bitch (but I love it):
My ass is officially kicked. Loved this one, will seek more.

Dope Times - Wasted ways
Decent ska punk but we differ on the vocals, too samey to other So-Cal bands. I assume they are So-Cal.

Starcrawler - She said:
Pretty good. I think the first song set a tone for me that was going to be hard to beat.
Nice set gkbill. Again all new to me and Im better for it.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I'm glad to post.

Dope Times are actually from Brazil. They have the Southern Cal look - lightweights but fun.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

If anyone is going to say anything, please say it. I've got a new batch up soon.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 12:47pm
Hello,

If anyone is going to say anything, please say it. I've got a new batch up soon.
Im ready

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

1000mods - Electric Carve: very upbeat, kind-of-mod-ish to my ears; the aggressive vocals struggle at times but a fun ride

CIVIC - As Seen On TV: very straight-forward rock and roll (as demonstrated by the video) with an attitude (I now that's a cliche but appropriate here)

The Men - Hard Livin': This is the band I want to see; a good balance of 3 minute rock and roll and chaos. I think I can play the piano part right now.