"I said-a hip, hop, the hippie, the hippie" - The Hip Hop Thread

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: "I said-a hip, hop, the hippie, the hippie" - The Hip Hop Thread

Post by matedog »

Forgot to post this yesterday:

Irrespective of the, uh, problematic video, I feel like the beat on this song has aged better than a lot of the other Bomb Squad stuff from 87-91. It almost seems Dre/G-Funk influenced with the slower tempo and eschewing the cacophony of the "classic" period. I feel like this is an easier sell than "Rebel Without a Pause" for example.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
17 Jan 2023, 2:21pm

Irrespective of the, uh, problematic video, I feel like the beat on this song has aged better than a lot of the other Bomb Squad stuff from 87-91. It almost seems Dre/G-Funk influenced with the slower tempo and eschewing the cacophony of the "classic" period. I feel like this is an easier sell than "Rebel Without a Pause" for example.
I love this song.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

matedog wrote:

I've got no problem with the video.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
19 Jan 2023, 9:20pm
matedog wrote:

I've got no problem with the video.
Hello,

Although I prefer the more chaotic Public Enemy, the militancy of this video should be taken very contextually. I was around during this era (yes, I'm old) and the anger was at this level. It should be noted Public Enemy addressed anyone black or white they felt was wrong including JET magazine.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 11:25am
Wow, I was not expecting that first n-word drop. That being said, the more it went on, the more clearly this was a parody/hoax.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

This, however, is legit:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 12:45pm
This, however, is legit:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

This was great. The Grammys are silly, but they got this moment right. Nice job of bringing the genre from the early days to the present, getting some heavy hitters involved along the way.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 12:43pm
revbob wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 11:25am
Wow, I was not expecting that first n-word drop. That being said, the more it went on, the more clearly this was a parody/hoax.
Definitely a parody, but also hilarious and very well done.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

This is great.

EIGHT RULES FOR WHITE PEOPLE WHO LIKE HIP-HOP (from LA Weekly):

1) When singing along to rap songs with the n-word, substitue “ninja”

This is Gucci Mane's advice, and it makes a certain amount of sense, be it for karaoke or live shows or whatever. We recommend it even if Schoolboy Q gives you a temporary pass.

2) Don't assume black rappers hate or are uncomfortable around white people

As a white guy who writes about rap music, I'm asked constantly, even today, “how that is.” The implication is that hip-hop is a racist black fraternity where outsiders aren't welcome. It also implies that black rappers aren't professional, or at least aren't familiar with or comfortable around white people. This doesn't make a bit of sense if one has even a passing familiarity with the media or celebrity or life in the 21st century.

3) Like what you like

White people apologizing for the kind of hip-hop they prefer — especially because they think it's not sufficiently “street” — is super lame. Growing up I had this bizarre idea that A Tribe Called Quest was only for white people, but everyone loves that shit. Also, don't think that liking militant political hip-hop or gangsta rap makes you cool or relatable to black people.

4) When you're saying rap names like “Lil Wayne” or “Masta Killa” just say them in the traditional white person way

Don't try to say “Lil.” You sound like a moron. Just say “Little.” And “Master” and “Killer.” No one will bat an eyelash.

5) Just don't use an accent

Like, at all, ever. Just talk how you naturally talk. Only Bubba Sparxxx can be Bubba Sparxxx.

6) Don't giggle or act nervous when you talk about hip-hop

Rock music is not the “default” favorite music of white folks; rap is the preferred strain for millions of Caucasian people around the world. Liking hip-hop is not weird, or a novelty. You won't be thrown out of your parents' country club.

7) Don't use terms like “gat” or “hood rat” or anything with a loaded racial etymology

Even as a joke. Especially as a joke. In addition to casually racist, you'll sound super outdated.

8) Don't beat box

Unless you know how, which you don't.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Does Ninja have racist undertones at all?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 1:36pm

3) Like what you like

White people apologizing for the kind of hip-hop they prefer — especially because they think it's not sufficiently “street” — is super lame. Growing up I had this bizarre idea that A Tribe Called Quest was only for white people, but everyone loves that shit. Also, don't think that liking militant political hip-hop or gangsta rap makes you cool or relatable to black people.
I'm only insecure talking about hip hop because I don't know it as well. I know what it's like when someone tries to talk to me about something I'm deep into but I know they aren't nearly as deep into, so I try to be cognizant of it.

Reminds me of the Amoeba Record store video series "What's In My Bag" with the guy from the synth pop band Future Islands:

I've never heard of 90% of the groups he talks in depth about - Latyrx, Omid Walizadeh, Vitamin D, Tribal Music, Divine Styler, Roots Manuva, Freestyle Fellowship. That is a real hip hop fan.

4) When you're saying rap names like “Lil Wayne” or “Masta Killa” just say them in the traditional white person way
WestwayKid wrote:
Don't try to say “Lil.” You sound like a moron. Just say “Little.” And “Master” and “Killer.” No one will bat an eyelash.
Uh, saying "Little Wayne" sounds way dumber than just saying Lil. As long as you don't dwell on the "lil" and let it roll off, it sounds fine.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 4:31pm
WestwayKid wrote:

3) Like what you like

I'm only insecure talking about hip hop because I don't know it as well. I know what it's like when someone tries to talk to me about something I'm deep into but I know they aren't nearly as deep into, so I try to be cognizant of it.

Reminds me of the Amoeba Record store video series "What's In My Bag" with the guy from the synth pop band Future Islands:

I've never heard of 90% of the groups he talks in depth about - Latyrx, Omid Walizadeh, Vitamin D, Tribal Music, Divine Styler, Roots Manuva, Freestyle Fellowship. That is a real hip hop fan.

WestwayKid wrote:
Uh, saying "Little Wayne" sounds way dumber than just saying Lil. As long as you don't dwell on the "lil" and let it roll off, it sounds fine.
Dumber tha a 40 year old still using Lil in his name?