Wanted: WAKE UP Miner's Benefit EP+Booklet (1987)

Online music exchange.
Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Wanted: WAKE UP Miner's Benefit EP+Booklet (1987)

Post by Chairman Ralph »

WAKE UP NO. 8.jpg
WAKE UP NO. 8.jpg (138.66 KiB) Viewed 5493 times
Back with another (potentially) big ask: does anybody have a copy of this EP that they could upload? I've spotted one copy on eBay for $40, which is way too much for my blood.

Also, there was a 40-page booklet that came with it -- I'd really be interested in getting ahold of that, too, if anybody has one that they could upload, as well. I've seen bits and pieces from it, here and there, but they're all fuzzy and hard to read.

Somebody did stick one up on ISSU, but it's not accessible -- "The publisher does not have the license to enable download," it says, which is a bit weird, because it wasn't intended for sale in the first place. You got it as a bonus with the record.

I don't believe any booklets it made to these shores, at least, not when I bought my copy at the time (now long gone). But if anybody could help out with either of these items, I'd be much obliged!

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: Wanted: WAKE UP Miner's Benefit EP+Booklet (1987)

Post by FarawayTowns »

I would like a copy of it my self. I've got a couple of copies of Wake Up fanzine in my archive but unfortunately not this one.
It's on YouTube with a link to the booklet.
The booklet is available to read and share but I can't download it either.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

I would like a copy of it my self. I've got a couple of copies of Wake Up fanzine in my archive but unfortunately not this one.
Yes. that's the one, all right. I don't really understand why it's still under lock and key, some 35-odd years later, seeing that it was a fanzine, and it was included with the record! It's not like anybody made boatloads of money selling it, I'm sure, even if all sales went to the striking miners. I'm sure they made a little bit off it, but it's not anything that would have gladdened some major label exec's blackened little heart, exactly.

But anyway, glad to see someone else remembers this one, and who knows, maybe somebody else out there has that missing piece. :mrgreen: Do you know how many copies of Wake Up came out, or how long it lasted? As far as 'zines go, it definitely stood out among the better-looking ones, and you couldn't fault the content. Ditto for the EP, which is solid from start to finish -- which is more than you can say of most benefit-related records.

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 2:25pm
Yes. that's the one, all right. I don't really understand why it's still under lock and key, some 35-odd years later, seeing that it was a fanzine, and it was included with the record! It's not like anybody made boatloads of money selling it, I'm sure, even if all sales went to the striking miners. I'm sure they made a little bit off it, but it's not anything that would have gladdened some major label exec's blackened little heart, exactly.

But anyway, glad to see someone else remembers this one, and who knows, maybe somebody else out there has that missing piece. :mrgreen: Do you know how many copies of Wake Up came out, or how long it lasted? As far as 'zines go, it definitely stood out among the better-looking ones, and you couldn't fault the content. Ditto for the EP, which is solid from start to finish -- which is more than you can say of most benefit-related records.
The last issue I have is #10 which came out in 1992 I think. I would have to check for a more definitive date. It evolved into a glossy mag. It's probably the final issue. It's says that there was going to be a break until the next issue.
I agree it was the one of the best fanzines of it's era. The mix of music and politics is right up my street. It's a mystery to me that I only bought 2 editions wish I had got them all now.
Wake Up! #10
Wake Up! #10

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I've got the vinyl and cd of this. No booklet though. But will upload the cd when I get chance to dig it out.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Go here people.
Thanks, Marky, I did just that. As for the booklet, I just decided to take pix of the full screens, and make a PDF out of that -- it won't be ideal, but it'll have to do, until I get my hands on the actual booklet itself.