Bad TV Shows

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: Bad TV Shows

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 5:20pm
Mimi wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 5:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 4:46pm
Mimi wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 4:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 4:32pm
I take back what I said about the other show. :scared:
If you need more info: https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/202 ... ed-outrage
Interesting. Making Hitler into a joke is still being done, but I don't know. A movie is one thing. A whole series?
Part of the problem is the Archie Bunker effect. AB was clearly a bigot and an asshole, yet he was also the star of the show, which means audiences are supposed to sympathize with him in some manner. And that's what happened, with the show ironically fuelling the bigot reactionaries to the social revolution underway. By the end of the decade, his character had been softened considerably because audiences liked him so much. A sitcom centred on Hitler would require audiences to sympathize with him to some degree in order to keep coming back, week after week. Which, no.
Yeah, no is right.
Last edited by Mimi on 23 Jan 2023, 9:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 5:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 5:29pm
Heston wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 5:27pm
The Big Bang Theory
That has a decent argument for being the sitcom with the widest gap between quality and popularity.
Two and a Half Men would like a word.
Probably a lot of overlap on those audiences

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
The Big Bang Theory
That has a decent argument for being the sitcom with the widest gap between quality and popularity.
Full House also deserves mention in this conversation.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
The Big Bang Theory
Definitely comparable quality, but I think BBT was more popular. Plus it had a Barenaked Ladies component, making it even more contemptible.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 4:19pm
There was a lot of trash produced in the 80's and 90's ... but wow, might this be the worst ever?? It's like they weren't even trying.

I'm glad that Stephen Dorff's career wasn't killed off in this mess because I think he's a great actor.
Wow that is bad.

This is the worst show I've ever seen during its original run during The Blessed Decade:
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

The whole Growing Pains-Family Ties-Who’s the Boss genre kinda sucked and those shows in particular had more popularity than they deserved. Married with Children blew them all away.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 6:06pm
This is the worst show I've ever seen during its original run during The Blessed Decade:
Pauly Shore not spending his life anonymous is utterly unjust.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Interesting, never knew about that. Allo Allo was another WW2 romp that was inoffensive and extremely popular for reasons I could never quite fathom.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 6:15pm
matedog wrote:
“Comedy wasn’t something I chose – it chose me.” - actual Pauly Shore quote

No, it didn’t Pauly. It really didn’t.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 6:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 6:15pm
matedog wrote:
“Comedy wasn’t something I chose – it chose me.” - actual Pauly Shore quote

No, it didn’t Pauly. It really didn’t.
Comedy … chose poorly.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 6:24pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Interesting, never knew about that. Allo Allo was another WW2 romp that was inoffensive and extremely popular for reasons I could never quite fathom.
Hogan's Heroes is a show I loved as a kid but now find really uncomfortable. The presence of Jews in the cast who have close connections to the Holocaust complicates it all, yes, but it's still skeevy.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 5:08pm
Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 4:22pm
I learned a great deal from Matthew Perry's autobio, but chief amongst my new knowledge is that he did a pilot for a sci-fi comedy in which he worked as a customs agent for a space airport, with all the hilarity that comes from giving space aliens cavity searches, I assume.
I would have hoped for a show where the studio audience is invited to beat him with baseball bats.
He beats himself plenty. Very sad guy.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 6:49pm
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
I learned a great deal from Matthew Perry's autobio, but chief amongst my new knowledge is that he did a pilot for a sci-fi comedy in which he worked as a customs agent for a space airport, with all the hilarity that comes from giving space aliens cavity searches, I assume.
I would have hoped for a show where the studio audience is invited to beat him with baseball bats.
He attended the same prep school as Justin Trudeau (fun fact: I live about five blocks from it) and supposedly tormented JT during their time there.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 6:53pm
Kory wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 6:49pm
revbob wrote:
Kory wrote:
He attended the same prep school as Justin Trudeau (fun fact: I live about five blocks from it) and supposedly tormented JT during their time there.
He mentions that in the book. His mother was Pierre's press secretary and I got the sense he was resentful that her job took her away from him frequently.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc