MLB 2023

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: MLB 2023

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 8:28pm
Flex wrote:
11 Jan 2023, 2:24pm
I met Fred Lynn at an autograph signing in Denver during the ASG a couple years ago. He signed an autograph book they were giving out for the event and then he signed my kinda-dirty/sweaty baseball hat I was wearing. He was a little skeptical but he did it. Kinda funny. He was a nice guy for the 45 seconds I got to chat with him. Luis Tiant was there too, very relaxed dude.
I met Luis Tiant a few years ago. Nice fellow.
He was doing autograph signings at the VT Lake Monsters game a few years back. The line was long and my kid at the time was not going to put up with the wait.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I actually appreciate his comments here - reminds me what I liked about the guy to begin with - but let's just say I'll believe it when I see it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

He also owes the world the results of his independent research into the nature and treatment of covid-19.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

For all the angst, if this rumor actually pans out I'll be genuinely pleased (or pleased-ish anyways) with the Sox offseason:

I truly, and with my whole heart, despise Tanner Houck and would support almost anything that gets him off the team. That they can staple Dalbec to him to get an actual quality shortstop that perfectly bridges the Sox to Mayer's emergence would be *chef's kiss*

The only thing that would make it better is if we could somehow toss Jared Duran into the deal too and get him out of here.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
23 Jan 2023, 4:32pm
For all the angst, if this rumor actually pans out I'll be genuinely pleased (or pleased-ish anyways) with the Sox offseason:

I truly, and with my whole heart, despise Tanner Houck and would support almost anything that gets him off the team. That they can staple Dalbec to him to get an actual quality shortstop that perfectly bridges the Sox to Mayer's emergence would be *chef's kiss*

The only thing that would make it better is if we could somehow toss Jared Duran into the deal too and get him out of here.
Yeah, I'm up for that 8 days a week.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Hmm, looks like it's actually going to be Mondesi for Taylor. The kind of smart, low cost, high upside move that Bloom specializes in that makes sense for, say, the Sox ownership who want to be able to generate shareholder value but doesn't do much to make the team more likable or enjoyable for, say, me.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 2:09pm
Hmm, looks like it's actually going to be Mondesi for Taylor. The kind of smart, low cost, high upside move that Bloom specializes in that makes sense for, say, the Sox ownership who want to be able to generate shareholder value but doesn't do much to make the team more likable or enjoyable for, say, me.
Taylor is dime a dozen, so if Mondesi is anything, yay. But getting Mondesi for someone like Taylor suggests, no, he isn't anything.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Barnes DFA'd, which is surprising given how well he pitched in the second half of last year. Anyways, this made me guffaw:

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Holy crap—very surprising, given that he signed an extension after making the ASG in 2021. I honestly have no idea what the front office is doing anymore.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

https://sports.yahoo.com/mets-jeff-mcne ... ml?src=rss
He's been a good player for them. For about a season or so there he started trying to hit more for power and his overall production suffered. This past season he went back to being a "get any kind of hit" player and he won a batting title. And now he's getting rewarded for it. I'm happy for him and the team.
This little item at the end of the article has got me a bit .... rattled ....
"The AAV for the contract extension is $12.5 million, therefore the Mets' new projected payroll plus tax would be around $467 million, according to Passan."
Payroll plus tax, 467 million dollars?
Um ...... yeah.

Let's Go Mets
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259 wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 9:02pm
https://sports.yahoo.com/mets-jeff-mcne ... ml?src=rss
He's been a good player for them. For about a season or so there he started trying to hit more for power and his overall production suffered. This past season he went back to being a "get any kind of hit" player and he won a batting title. And now he's getting rewarded for it. I'm happy for him and the team.
This little item at the end of the article has got me a bit .... rattled ....
"The AAV for the contract extension is $12.5 million, therefore the Mets' new projected payroll plus tax would be around $467 million, according to Passan."
Um ...... yeah.

Let's Go Mets
I should have tried harder in Little League.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
Holy macaroni. I wonder whether the players and Showalter feel extra pressure to win a championship with that kind of payroll. That is, does it become a positive incentive or a burden of expectation?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 9:27pm
weller259 wrote:
Holy macaroni. I wonder whether the players and Showalter feel extra pressure to win a championship with that kind of payroll. That is, does it become a positive incentive or a burden of expectation?
Plus the challenge associated with playing in NYC.