General music discussion.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Flex's Takes: The Beach Boys

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 5:59pm
Holland (1973) -
Sail On, Sailor - apparently a classic. I have a hard time with the one of the 2 randos singing lead. Sounds like a decent to good generic 70s soul rock song. I like Steamboat more. It's kind slow, moody and has a terrific slide guitar solo. I do like this version of Big Sur more than I did yesterday. The harmonica is a great touch, though the 3/4 beat still bothers me. It could have been greatly improved if it was a cut time 6/8 kind of beat. Beaks of Eagles has a nice hook with a tight two part harmony in spite of the spoken Mike Love parts. California sounds more like classic Beach Boys and makes sense why it was a single in spite of the very dated 70s keyboards. There's a banjo I think? That's cooler. Wait, are all these three songs about a very specific part of a huge state? Should be the Central Coast Saga instead or hell, the Big Sur Saga if you wanted to be really accurate. Trader is a Carl joint. He sounds solid and there's a decent hook in the chorus. A little boring given the length, but there are some interesting changes throughout. Next one is one for the two randos. It's fine, but still sounds like adequate soft (but not that soft) 70s rock - complete with a dated synth solo and congas. Yeesh, almost 6 minutes. Kinda makes me miss those 2-minute half baked songs Brian did in the mid/late 70s. Only With You is super 70s soft rock schlock. I mean not as bad as that MIU song, but clearly Dennis thought he had a knack for this after "Forever." "Funky Pretty" is one of the worst song titles I've ever seen. This one has an interesting, unorthodox arrangement which is probably Brian's influence. Terrible song title, decent song. Good shouting from one of the randos at the end. It drags a bit, but has a decent funk/soul vibe to it.

I get that this is more aspirational than the shit I was listening to from 76-79. Like Flex said, it seems like they were trying. The songs are longer and more involved. It's pretty good though it's more 70s tendencies haven't aged well.
Sail On, Sailor is an interesting track. Here is something their former engineer Steve Desper sent me years ago:

"Sunflower and Surf's Up were two albums recorded over many years. Both have parts recorded by Brian in the late sixties with some songs (like SOS) released on albums after the Home Studio era. During this long period of several years, the creating process moved and flowed, as a river; continuous, but with turns; never stopping, but with moments of brilliance and wanting. Don't fall into the trap of thinking, as do so many fans, that each day has an event scheduled to unfold. Fans look at a series of historical events they know and try to string them together in an effort to form a complete picture that fits into someone else's idea of how things happened. That will only give a false impression. Brian does not wake up to an alarm clock, look at the calendar, call his office, report to a studio, make a record, accept an award and then retire for the night. Yes, the history books may say this-and-that happened and when, but its mostly a haphazard turn of events, greatly influenced by emotion and feeling. These are artists, tempered by their internal sensitivities and sensibilities of the moment.

So when you say, “I remember hearing that Brian had nothing to do with the actual recording of the song” are you saying that for three or four years Brian did no recording? Or did some visitor venture into the studio one day and find everyone but Brian recording and then broadcasting that Brian wasn’t involved in the creative process? How long is “the actual recording of the song?” Is it scheduled to happen on Monday – like we start at 10 AM have the verses done by lunch time and work on the chorus until supper? ‘Cause it just doesn’t work that way.

Let’s be clear about Brian’s activity during the later part of 20/20 on to the beginning of Holland . . . a period that more or less spans the time he was depressed, ill, and falling victim to experimental drugs. He may have been all that, but he was still Brian Wilson, a creative song writer, producer, arranger and singer; who has his glorious moments of genius and inspiration. With a recording facility in his house, a studio under his bedroom, the support of family and friends, and the ability to call any musician he wanted at any time or date . . . of course he was involved in the recording process. He just was not in charge of it. That responsibility was turned over to brother Carl.

During this period of time, I might have as many as 35 songs on the tape shelf in one stage of production or another. Sail-On, Sailor was one of those songs in the slow process of becoming available to the public as a Beach Boy creation. Some songs were collected to become 20/20, others Sunflower, etc. Some never made it and remain unfinished. SOS never quite seemed to get the final nod for release until very late.

Like all the songs of this era, Brian had his moments of involvement. Just who do you think is playing the piano part in SOS? That piano part is what holds the entire song together. It is the hook upon which all other parts hang. Brian’s piano is what leads the song from the first downbeat. Add drums and bass and that is pretty much it. With an organ harmonic pad and guitar riffs, you’ve got the track. So yes, he was very involved in the tracking of SOS. Then we have the real stuff of the song, the vocals. Do you not hear Brian in the OOOs and Ahhh’s? Isn’t the signature Brian harmonic arrangement the very fabric of the oral overlays? Does all this vocal collaboration really sound like it was manufactured over the telephone?

How many songs that have ever been written express some form of psychic pain, either from love gone wrong, the loss of love, or a soul seeking love? This is the stuff of songwriting. Masterfully crafted and expressed ever so pointedly by Parks in SOS. His lyrics border on onomatopoeia poetry and sound words.

What a contrast! The words of SOS; so insightful and contemplative. A microcosm of life. Yet the song itself is one of the greatest dance songs of the album. Huh? A dance song? Yes it is. Just get a little loose and move your body and feet to the rhythm. It’s a dance. I know – I’ve danced to it with Carl and Dennis in the studio. When they were laying vocals, no one could stand still. It’s a dance all right! The dance of life . . . Sail-On, Sailor."
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 6:05pm
It's funny how much Blondie Chaplin being in the Beach Boys annoys you, Hoy.
The last time I saw Brian live he had Blondie with him. I dug it.

The addition of Blondie and Ricky came at the behest of Carl, who was trying to breath some life into the band. He wanted to push them into a more contemporary early 70's rock sound, which is why Bruce left.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 6:11pm
Flex wrote:

The addition of Blondie and Ricky came at the behest of Carl, who was trying to breath some life into the band. He wanted to push them into a more contemporary early 70's rock sound, which is why Bruce left.
It's incredible to contemplate that Blondie/Ricky beach boys were just TOO HARD ROCKING for Bruce.

I think Blondie has played with Brian every time I've seen him solo. He's quite good, helps give the performances a lot of life and movement that Brian, obviously, has no interest in. I'd call his performance of Sail On Sailor last summer as something like a stonesy hard rock. REAL loud and aggressive guitar work. Brian was totally checked out.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
The other one too. I don't know, you have this 30 year period of recording with like five/six distinct voices for most of it, presenting some semblance of continuity, and then for two albums you have these two random ass dudes that show up and then are gone.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 6:14pm
WestwayKid wrote:
Flex wrote:

It's incredible to contemplate that Blondie/Ricky beach boys were just TOO HARD ROCKING for Bruce.
Makes sense to me. Bruce fucking sucks. Worse than Mike in my book. The 85-95 deep dive solidified this take for me.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

To clarify, Mike is more evil. But Bruce just fucking sucks.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Flex wrote:

I think Blondie has played with Brian every time I've seen him solo. He's quite good, helps give the performances a lot of life and movement that Brian, obviously, has no interest in. I'd call his performance of Sail On Sailor last summer as something like a stonesy hard rock. REAL loud and aggressive guitar work. Brian was totally checked out.
Bruce is the King of Schmaltz!

They actually wanted to fire him in 1969 and replace him with Billy Hinsche. The reasoning was that they didn't feel Bruce was fully committed and to be fair, I've heard Bruce say as much in interviews. He originally saw the band as a stepping stone to solo success. Hinsche turned them down and Bruce stayed on board until late 72 when he left. Brian later campaigned for Billy to join the band around the Love You era, but it was nixed for whatever reason. He originally sang lead on Honkin' Down the Highway.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 6:19pm
Flex wrote:
The other one too. I don't know, you have this 30 year period of recording with like five/six distinct voices for most of it, presenting some semblance of continuity, and then for two albums you have these two random ass dudes that show up and then are gone.
Well, they were both in The Flame(s) who were part of that inner circle who hung with the big rock names of the day. Recorded their first album on Brother Records, too. So not totally random. Ricky actually shows up here and there on their other records. Blondie tours with Brian regularly. They never really totally left the fold and had an organic way onto the band in the first place. I agree it's a bit left field, that's part of what makes those records fun, but it's not like they just picked up two randos off the street.

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 6:23pm
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
Well, they were both in The Flame(s) who were part of that inner circle who hung with the big rock names of the day. Recorded their first album on Brother Records, too. So not totally random. Ricky actually shows up here and there on their other records. Blondie tours with Brian regularly. They never really totally left the fold and had an organic way onto the band in the first place. I agree it's a bit left field, that's part of what makes those records fun, but it's not like they just picked up two randos off the street.
Ricky held down the drums while Dennis was out of commission with his hand injury.

matedog

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 6:20pm
Flex wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Flex wrote:

They actually wanted to fire him in 1969 and replace him with Billy Hinsche. The reasoning was that they didn't feel Bruce was fully committed and to be fair, I've heard Bruce say as much in interviews. He originally saw the band as a stepping stone to solo success. Hinsche turned them down and Bruce stayed on board until late 72 when he left. Brian later campaigned for Billy to join the band around the Love You era, but it was nixed for whatever reason. He originally sang lead on Honkin' Down the Highway.
Ah yes, Billy Hinsche:

Flex

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 6:24pm
Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
Ricky held down the drums while Dennis was out of commission with his hand injury.
I can understand Hoy's aesthetic complaints about Blondie, but I think there's a (only very slightly) alternate universe where Ricky stays the drummer for the band and Dennis focuses exclusively on singing at the front of the stage and working on his own solo career without having to man the kit at all. I thinknthe results would have been good for both the beach boys and Dennis.

Pex Lives!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:
Flex wrote:
Well of course, it's just less funny to call them that. Plus to the casual listener, a Ricky/other guy song comes on in the middle of a BBs mix and it would seem pretty random.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Flex wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Flex wrote:

Ah yes, Billy Hinsche:
This is awful for so, so many reasons.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 9:53am
matedog wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Flex wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Ah yes, Billy Hinsche:
This is awful for so, so many reasons.
How the fuck do tribute bands seem more authentic and non-shameless? Grotesque.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Speaking of tribute acts, these guys are great and well worth the price of admission:

If they ever pass through your town, I recommend checking them out.

Also, the guy playing bass is named Wyatt Funderburk and he does the absolutely best Beach Boys podcast on the market called "Sail On".