Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Return of the Mighty Observations Thread

Post by Flex »

I never answer an email unless they're promising to wire me the riches of a Nigerian prince's fortune. It's called "spending money to make money" folks!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 8:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 6:40pm
gkbill wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 6:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 5:08pm
Kory wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 5:05pm

I also hate email because people consistently take months to reply.
You need to email me. I can't stand anything in my Inbox. It's like being in debt or something.
Hello,

I always (well, pretty much always) respond to email quickly. To not do so is rude and unprofessional.
That's my view. That said, The Boss is a department chair and also a liaison with the university administration, so her Inbox is always full. I've chastised her for it in the past and she explained (very persuasively) that she couldn't get much accomplished if she prioritized email response. So, yeah, I grumble when I don't get a quick reply, but I have learned to consider the circumstances of the other person. But, like, when it's a student who waits 48 hours before replying, yeah, I got a problem with that.
Hello,

Sometimes I'll use the "I am extremely busy at this time of year. Please allow me additional time to respond.".
Right. I appreciate when people do that. Like, most of the time I don't need-need a quick reply, but it's respectful to let a person know, yup, I got your note but need time to give a proper reply. I think we've been living in an email world long enough—roughly thirty years—that protocols have been established. (Damn, I sound like a tut-tutting granny there.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Example of the value of texting. I'm upstairs grading, Boss is downstairs … probably watching tv that makes me sad. Doorbell rings. I text her, "Is this something I should answer?" "Nope. Ignore." Technology allows for avoiding real interaction!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 8:25pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

You need to email me. I can't stand anything in my Inbox. It's like being in debt or something.
Hello,

I always (well, pretty much always) respond to email quickly. To not do so is rude and unprofessional.
That's my view. That said, The Boss is a department chair and also a liaison with the university administration, so her Inbox is always full. I've chastised her for it in the past and she explained (very persuasively) that she couldn't get much accomplished if she prioritized email response. So, yeah, I grumble when I don't get a quick reply, but I have learned to consider the circumstances of the other person. But, like, when it's a student who waits 48 hours before replying, yeah, I got a problem with that.
Hello,

Sometimes I'll use the "I am extremely busy at this time of year. Please allow me additional time to respond.".
Right. I appreciate when people do that. Like, most of the time I don't need-need a quick reply, but it's respectful to let a person know, yup, I got your note but need time to give a proper reply. I think we've been living in an email world long enough—roughly thirty years—that protocols have been established. (Damn, I sound like a tut-tutting granny there.)
Hello,

Not always, not often, but occasionally granny is right.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 10:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 8:25pm
gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
gkbill wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

Hello,

Not always, not often, but occasionally granny is right.
Nanas of the world unite!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

gkbill wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 5:05pm
Mimi wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 4:54pm
Kory wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 4:51pm

It's my preferred method of communication because I loathe speaking on the phone. Gimme the info I need quick, I don't want to deal with us talking over each other because we can't take visual cues that you'd normally have in conversation. "Oh you go," "no, you go."

But most of my friends don't like texting, so the upshot is basically that I don't communicate with almost anyone.
I dislike both talking and texting. Why can't we do things telepathically?
I also hate email because people consistently take months to reply.
Hello,

I was speaking mostly of acquaintances, so professionalism isn't much of an issue, but it definitely makes me not want to bother trying to keep in touch with people. And perhaps they're trying to tell me something instead of just being direct about it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex

Post by Flex »

I admit that, especially since the entrance of the Little Duder, a lot of times I'll look at a text or email and if it's not, like, super urgent and/or work related with a deadline I set it aside with the intention of responding when I have some free time later and then I often space it. Texts especially, emails I can usually grind through my inbox in a, well, maybe not speedy manner but not usually too untimely such that it'd be considered a moral failure on my part.

People who text me before 7am or after 7pm usually get a pretty responsive Flex. Middle part of the day is pretty no man's land tho.

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
31 Jan 2023, 4:34pm
Am I the only person who hates texting?
I'd much rather text than actually talk to people.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex

Post by Flex »

I hate texting and I hate driving, but do em both while youre enjoying a nice bowl of soup and, mister, you got yourself a party.

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
02 Feb 2023, 2:39pm
I hate texting and I hate driving, but do em both while youre enjoying a nice bowl of soup and, mister, you got yourself a party.
Add in one of those dashboard TVs while you're at it!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I got a call at work, yesterday, from Hilton Honors. They were trying to sell me on a vacation package to Orlando. The guy was nice enough, so I didn't want to be a dick, but he also would not take no for an answer. I finally shut him down and the whole thing pissed me off. When did it become okay for a company to call you during the work day to try and push you into buying something?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 10:01am
I got a call at work, yesterday, from Hilton Honors. They were trying to sell me on a vacation package to Orlando. The guy was nice enough, so I didn't want to be a dick, but he also would not take no for an answer. I finally shut him down and the whole thing pissed me off. When did it become okay for a company to call you during the work day to try and push you into buying something?
I know it terrible. By the way could I interest you in a weekend stay at the Bogside barricades. Reasonably cheap will accept payment in instalments.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 10:01am

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I don't feel like working today. :angry: