Re: Public Image Limited

Post by Low Down Low »

revbob wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 5:54pm
revbob wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 5:49pm
...when a host asked him – before the voting results – if he had enjoyed his visit to Dublin. “No I have not, but that’s not the point.”
Always so diplomatic.
I think that it all goes back to the early 80s when he was put in Mountjoy prison.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/news-op ... ns-6981133
Hadn't heard that. He should have written a song called Dublin Dungeon
He definitely wrote at least one song about it though can't recall the title, just remember the line where he's before the beak and pleads not guilty.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:40pm
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
...when a host asked him – before the voting results – if he had enjoyed his visit to Dublin. “No I have not, but that’s not the point.”
Always so diplomatic.
I think that it all goes back to the early 80s when he was put in Mountjoy prison.

He definitely wrote at least one song about it though can't recall the title, just remember the line where he's before the beak and pleads not guilty.
Im not terribly familiar with the PiL catalog.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:39pm
Low Down Low wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Always so diplomatic.

I think you're right, John always carried a bit of resentment about how he'd been treated there and also his mother before him, vaguely recall some talk about that in his book. The original story of his arrest makes for interesting reading, the barman refused to serve him because he looked "very seedy"!! Truth was being a punk in Dublin in late 70s/early 80s was akin to being a Traveller or any other persecuted minority. I supped in the Horse & Tram pub many a time, actually a very decent watering hole and sadly no more, like most of my favourite old haunts.

https://www.fodderstompf.com/ARCHIVES/I ... ele80.html
I also wonder what JL's attitude was there that night. Was he acting the diva that night? Which is to say, did he encourage the barman's surly behaviour in any way by being in Johnny Rotten mode? I'm not putting all the blame on him by any means, but, especially back then, he was a button-pusher.
Reasonable question and it's impossible to know but my suspicion is that the barman simply took one look at these guys swanning into his establishment and instinctively decided no fuckin way i'm serving this trash and Johnnys belligerence took it from there. That's what fits my idea (and vague recollection) of that era Ireland anyway.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:
Always so diplomatic.

"Four Enclosed Walls"?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:46pm
Low Down Low wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:

Always so diplomatic.

"Four Enclosed Walls"?
I'll look it up.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
revbob wrote:

Always so diplomatic.

I think you're right, John always carried a bit of resentment about how he'd been treated there and also his mother before him, vaguely recall some talk about that in his book. The original story of his arrest makes for interesting reading, the barman refused to serve him because he looked "very seedy"!! Truth was being a punk in Dublin in late 70s/early 80s was akin to being a Traveller or any other persecuted minority. I supped in the Horse & Tram pub many a time, actually a very decent watering hole and sadly no more, like most of my favourite old haunts.

I also wonder what JL's attitude was there that night. Was he acting the diva that night? Which is to say, did he encourage the barman's surly behaviour in any way by being in Johnny Rotten mode? I'm not putting all the blame on him by any means, but, especially back then, he was a button-pusher.
Reasonable question and it's impossible to know but my suspicion is that the barman simply took one look at these guys swanning into his establishment and instinctively decided no fuckin way i'm serving this trash and Johnnys belligerence took it from there. That's what fits my idea (and vague recollection) of that era Ireland anyway.
That's more or less my guess. Asshole barman acts like an asshole and Lydon pushes back. And good on him if he was basically justifying his existence to this guy.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
revbob wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

"Four Enclosed Walls"?
I'll look it up.
That's a complete guess on my part, given the time period of the song and its title.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:50pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
revbob wrote:

"Four Enclosed Walls"?
I'll look it up.
That's a complete guess on my part, given the time period of the song and its title.
Right album but Francis Massacre is the tune. Though I'm not 100% certain who Francis Moran is meant to be.

https://genius.com/Public-image-ltd-fra ... cre-lyrics

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

"Four Enclosed Walls"?
I'll look it up.
Right album but Francis Massacre is the tune. Though I'm not 100% certain who Francis Moran is meant to be.

IRA prisoner who was hanged in Mountjoy prison.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick ... epublican)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:49pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

That's more or less my guess. Asshole barman acts like an asshole and Lydon pushes back. And good on him if he was basically justifying his existence to this guy.
Yeah, i mean the only thing I can say with conviction here is that not all but a lot of barmen back then could be real assholes. If they didn't like the cut of your jib, too bad, you weren't getting served and being a punk at that time in Ireland was pretty much automatic refusal in a lot of places. My instinct is to be with John on this one.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 7:01pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

"Four Enclosed Walls"?
I'll look it up.

IRA prisoner who was hanged in Mountjoy prison.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick ... epublican)
Cheers Marky. That's actually quite amazing, i spend every day in Moran Park and frequent the amazing library there but was never aware of its history until now. I will have to do some more digging into that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

"Four Enclosed Walls"?
I'll look it up.

Thanks for the correction. After thinking further, "Four Enclosed Walls" would involve a whole lot of extra interpretation to see that as about JL's incarceration.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 7:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Yeah, i mean the only thing I can say with conviction here is that not all but a lot of barmen back then could be real assholes. If they didn't like the cut of your jib, too bad, you weren't getting served and being a punk at that time in Ireland was pretty much automatic refusal in a lot of places. My instinct is to be with John on this one.
So they were jaded record shop clerks (see Jack Black's character in High Fidelity). :shifty:

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 7:16pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

So they were jaded record shop clerks (see Jack Black's character in High Fidelity). :shifty:
I can definitely picture Jack Blacks character refusing to serve a customer because he thought they looked "very seedy."

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 7:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 7:16pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I can definitely picture Jack Blacks character refusing to serve a customer because he thought they looked "very seedy."
Jack Blacks character actually looked way seedier than the customers.🤣

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia