B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by drowninghere »

thanks as well Marky - love the Studio 54 mix of The Globe so great to get an upgrade!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

drowninghere wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 7:51pm
thanks as well Marky - love the Studio 54 mix of The Globe so great to get an upgrade!
Cheers mate. I like the overall feel of the track but that rap makes me cringe everytime I hear it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 5:52pm
Stefano1972 wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 5:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Feb 2023, 10:12am
Good place to drop this one also methinks.

https://mega.nz/file/H65yRDhL#X7StaQ2ZB ... bHV2tMiC_0
Thanks Marky! I‘ll start to listen soon these your works.
In these days i’m often listening your TRAC remaster , i don’t have enought words for say you thanks!
P.s. Are you already working on something else, can you say us something about your next project? Maybe a Combat Rock box? Cheers
The two BAD uploads are the official cds not anything I've remastered. Rat Patrol/Combat Rock was remastered last year but not uploaded as yet. Also made a box set of remixed singles for each track on CR. Two remixes of each song. Maybe I'll upload one day. 😉
i'm not a huge fan of the B.A.D. i've their first 4 albums and i like No.10 Upping Street only and other 3 or 4 tracks from the other three albums. But i really appreciate your work of true love. I said you yesterday about your T.R.A.C. remasters and i believe it's an interesting and good mix between the musical tastes of Mick and Topper. Maybe, for my point of view, it can be more interesting for the career of Mick if he had continued the T.R.A.C. project with Topper.
Damn these heavvy drugs!
P.s. Waitin’ for your Rat Patrol/Combat Rock box, also if i’ve still a lot of your materials to finish to listen. The box of Sandinista it’s perfect, i’m continuing to listen it with great pleasure from almost four months 🙏

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

sambadrome
Dirty Punk

Post by sambadrome »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
21 Aug 2019, 6:34pm
Some of you might recall my story about Sony, when they were trying to resign BAD, suggesting they build an EP around Looking For A Song, and then cull the remaining cream of F-Punk and Higher Power into one album. It may have happened if Sony hadn't blown the negotiation, opening the door for Gary K to swipe them for his MCA label.
Have I misunderstood this, or are you saying that the majority of both the Higher Power and F-Punk albums already existed in demo form before the Higher Power album was released by CBS?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

sambadrome wrote:
09 Feb 2023, 3:37pm
Some of you might recall my story about Sony, when they were trying to resign BAD, suggesting they build an EP around Looking For A Song, and then cull the remaining cream of F-Punk and Higher Power into one album. It may have happened if Sony hadn't blown the negotiation, opening the door for Gary K to swipe them for his MCA label.
Have I misunderstood this, or are you saying that the majority of both the Higher Power and F-Punk albums already existed in demo form before the Higher Power album was released by CBS?
Higher Power was released on Colombia/Sony so it must've been after the release if they were trying to resign BAD.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

sambadrome wrote:

HP and Fpunk were recorded at the same period
if i'remember it right Andre Shapps told me thatthey was a plan that both album could be released at the same time
HP was an hommage of Homestudio working process
Fpunk was a hommage of "garagebands" in a way because it was a live recording with very few overdubs etc
the fact is that the band was very much on the road so they didn't took enought time to take car enought in the recording and the postproduction process (to be short)
finaly both have poor production
and they were some kind of banned from radio airplays

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

bazarboy75 wrote:
09 Feb 2023, 5:21pm
sambadrome wrote:

HP and Fpunk were recorded in the same period
correctly if i'm wrong but i remember Andre Shapps told me that both album could be also relased at the same time
Fpunk was a hommage of "garagebands" in a way because it was a live recording with very few overdubs etc
the fact is that the band was on the road and they didn't took enought time in the recording and the postproduction (to be short)
so both have poor production and be banned from radio airplays
I think Higher Power has excellent production. F-Punk on the other hand is failed by it's production/mix.

Surely Sony would've required the best of both albums idea to be re-recorded.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

sambadrome
Dirty Punk

Post by sambadrome »

Marky Dread wrote:
09 Feb 2023, 5:26pm
bazarboy75 wrote:
09 Feb 2023, 5:21pm
sambadrome wrote:

HP and Fpunk were recorded in the same period
correctly if i'm wrong but i remember Andre Shapps told me that both album could be also relased at the same time
the fact is that the band was on the road and they didn't took enought time in the recording and the postproduction (to be short)
so both have poor production and be banned from radio airplays
I think Higher Power has excellent production. F-Punk on the other hand is failed by it's production/mix.

Surely Sony would've required the best of both albums idea to be re-recorded.
This is my point. Had Sony heard the demos before either album was released? Hence the idea of the band compiling the best tracks from the two proposed projects...

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Sony already had the band’s final mix of Higher Power, which hadn’t yet been released, when they heard the demos for “Punk”, as it was originally called. This is when the alternate ideas about how to release the material were tossed about. Sony also had their staff engineer Michael Brauer (who has just now done the Dylan Time Out of Mind remix released recently) remix five of the HP songs as a test. Mick liked them but decided against using outside mixes. He’s since expressed regret for recording these albums the way they were done (c.f. Bazarboy’s reference to “home studio”; also true what he said about F-Punk being recorded basically live). Sony actually wished at the time they’d come off the road and spend more time on the records.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

That live mix of F-Punk still makes no sense to me. The separation and overall mix is just poor. There's some good tracks on that record with some nice ideas that's completey ruined by that dreadful mix.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

sambadrome
Dirty Punk

Post by sambadrome »

09 Feb 2023, 11:30pm
Sony already had the band’s final mix of Higher Power, which hadn’t yet been released, when they heard the demos for “Punk”, as it was originally called. This is when the alternate ideas about how to release the material were tossed about. Sony also had their staff engineer Michael Brauer (who has just now done the Dylan Time Out of Mind remix released recently) remix five of the HP songs as a test. Mick liked them but decided against using outside mixes. He’s since expressed regret for recording these albums the way they were done (c.f. Bazarboy’s reference to “home studio”; also true what he said about F-Punk being recorded basically live). Sony actually wished at the time they’d come off the road and spend more time on the records.
Thanks for the info Teddy. That's really interesting. I guess the success of Rush and The Globe album in the US and Australia meant that more time was devoted to touring, and perhaps the band didn't spend as much time as they should have perfecting the new material in the studio.

I was reading elsewhere on the forum how the production and attention to detail on The Globe album was absolutely flawless - something I totally agree with - but I never really got that impression from the two albums that followed.

In many ways it's commendable that Mick and the band didn't rest on their laurels following the success of The Globe and kept on pushing forwards, but perhaps those ideas just needed a little more studio time.

I think I will compile a playlist from the two albums now, to get some perspective on what might have been, had the band followed Sony's lead.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

sambadrome wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 5:16am
Thanks for the info Teddy. That's really interesting. I guess the success of Rush and The Globe album in the US and Australia meant that more time was devoted to touring, and perhaps the band didn't spend as much time as they should have perfecting the new material in the studio.

I was reading elsewhere on the forum how the production and attention to detail on The Globe album was absolutely flawless - something I totally agree with - but I never really got that impression from the two albums that followed.

In many ways it's commendable that Mick and the band didn't rest on their laurels following the success of The Globe and kept on pushing forwards, but perhaps those ideas just needed a little more studio time.

I think I will compile a playlist from the two albums now, to get some perspective on what might have been, had the band followed Sony's lead.
Would be great to know exactly which tracks they chose from the two projects.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

sambadrome
Dirty Punk

Post by sambadrome »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 10:55am
sambadrome wrote:

Yes that would be very interesting. Then we could all start burning discs! 🙂

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

sambadrome wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 12:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 10:55am
sambadrome wrote:

Yes that would be very interesting. Then we could all start burning discs! 🙂
I've made a complete new mix of F-Punk from stems. I'll upload later.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »