Combat Rock Deluxe Edition

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Re: Combat Rock Deluxe Edition

Post by Stefano1972 »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 5:30pm
Stefano1972 wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 4:55pm
In past, I remembered reading that Rat Patrol was supposed to be a double album. But in the interview with Kid jensen (november 1981) joe clearly says that the next album will be a single.
Yeah but Joe is referring to what will become Combat Rock. As he mentions they are recording at Electric Ladyland.
Thanks Marky! I thinked the project of Rat Patrol ends at december 1981 and the project of Combat Rock starts at the beginning of March 1982, after the pacific tour, when they call Glyn Johns to finish the work.
Anyway, in Rat Patrol i like a lot that version of Inoculated City, it seems an early track of B.A.D.
I’ll never understand why songs as Inoculated City, Overpowered By Funk… was played live not more than 3 or 4 times.
I’m continuing to listen now
😎
Attachments
F47CE214-AA98-4F66-B661-81CA3EEEA16B.png

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 10:56am
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:
In past, I remembered reading that Rat Patrol was supposed to be a double album. But in the interview with Kid jensen (november 1981) joe clearly says that the next album will be a single.
Yeah but Joe is referring to what will become Combat Rock. As he mentions they are recording at Electric Ladyland.
Thanks Marky! I thinked the project of Rat Patrol ends at december 1981 and the project of Combat Rock starts at the beginning of March 1982, after the pacific tour, when they call Glyn Johns to finish the work.
Anyway, in Rat Patrol i like a lot that version of Inoculated City, it seems an early track of B.A.D.
I’ll never understand why songs as Inoculated City, Overpowered By Funk… was played live not more than 3 or 4 times.
😎
Those dates sound about right to me. Glad you are enjoying it my friend.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 24 Mar 2023, 5:06am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 11:21am
Stefano1972 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:
😎
Though dates sound about right to me. Glad you are enjoying it my friend.
I’ll take a break on this evening ‘cause the match Italia 🇮🇹- England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
:mrgreen:

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 2:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 11:21am
Stefano1972 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:
😎
Though dates sound about right to me. Glad you are enjoying it my friend.
I’ll take a break on this evening ‘cause the match Italia 🇮🇹- England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
:mrgreen:
Of course and good luck. 👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dirty Harry
Junco Partner

Post by Dirty Harry »

Amazing stuff …a proper Combat Rock deluxe edition

Always wanted to hear a remastered version of the ‘Up and at Em bootleg and wasn’t disappointed

Loving the Monuaural Mix too
Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, "life" has surface noise."

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dirty Harry wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 6:19am
Amazing stuff …a proper Combat Rock deluxe edition

Always wanted to hear a remastered version of the ‘Up and at Em bootleg and wasn’t disappointed

Loving the Monuaural Mix too
Cheers DH appreciated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

On the old “Up and at em”, Know Your Rights becomes “No you’re right” 🤣
Attachments
225153F1-CB17-4992-9C9E-5F53C958B85E.gif
225153F1-CB17-4992-9C9E-5F53C958B85E.gif (25.11 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
Last edited by Stefano1972 on 24 Mar 2023, 3:55pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Carl Gustav Jung

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Stefano1972 wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 11:14am
On the old “Up and at em”, Know Your Rights become “No you’re right” 🤣
No you're right
I did say I'd be home at ten
No you're right
Stayed out drinking late again
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
There have been some real classics on bootlegs over the years. With bootleggers trying to hide the real band name and song titles when it goes to be pressed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 1:19pm
Stefano1972 wrote:
There have been some real classics on bootlegs over the years. With bootleggers trying to hide the real band name and song titles when it goes to be pressed.
I’ve wondered about that. I can guess why song titles are changed (e.g., “Anarchy in the UK” becomes “Nookie”), to fool the dumb kid from Saskatchewan that it’s a completely unheard song. But why hide the band name? Doesn’t that limit the intent of getting the attention of the ardent fan who would pay too much for this just because it’s a bootleg?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 2:27pm
I’ve wondered about that. I can guess why song titles are changed (e.g., “Anarchy in the UK” becomes “Nookie”), to fool the dumb kid from Saskatchewan that it’s a completely unheard song. But why hide the band name? Doesn’t that limit the intent of getting the attention of the ardent fan who would pay too much for this just because it’s a bootleg?
I assumed it was to stop nosey snitches at the pressing plant rather than fool the potential collectors.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 3:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I assumed it was to stop nosey snitches at the pressing plant rather than fool the potential collectors.
Hmm, that's a possibility, tho, as I understand it, bootleggers got their stuff done in the off-hours because they were very low runs (a few thousand copies). So it wasn't a huge mystery that those records were probably hinky.*

(I love it when I get chance to use the word hinky.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:
Two reasons firstly it's completely unlicensed material. And secondly to fool those at the pressing plant into believing it's an unnamed or new band.

You mentioned the Pistols. The first pressings of Spunk only had Spunk on the cover and no name anywhere so the pressing plant (Lyntone) thought that was the name of the band. Spunk is interesting as all the tracks had been recorded in sessions for EMI and A&M. So nothing related to Virgin who were in fact responsible for leaking the tapes to Lyntone.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 3:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:
Two reasons firstly it's completely unlicensed material. And secondly to fool those at the pressing plant into believing it's an unnamed or new band.

You mentioned the Pistols. The first pressings of Spunk only had Spunk on the cover and no name anywhere so the pressing plant (Lyntone) thought that was the name of the band. Spunk is interesting as all the tracks had been recorded in sessions for EMI and A&M. So nothing related to Virgin who were in fact responsible for leaking the tapes to Lyntone.
I'm only partially persuaded about fooling the pressing plant, just because there was a lot of knowing winking going on. As I mentioned above, press runs for bootlegs were pretty low, so it wasn't a huge secret. Perhaps it was to immunize the pressing plant in case lawyers got involved down the road? Tho I imagine it'd be a weak defence to claim ignorance.

Spunk is a bit of an exception to the more common live recording boot, especially when it came out before Bollocks. So even if it wasn't Virgin-authorized recordings, there was a legit claim that this was something that would compete with Virgin's investment. I get hiding that, however fig-leafy it actually was done.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 4:17pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Mar 2023, 3:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:

I'm only partially persuaded about fooling the pressing plant, just because there was a lot of knowing winking going on. As I mentioned above, press runs for bootlegs were pretty low, so it wasn't a huge secret. Perhaps it was to immunize the pressing plant in case lawyers got involved down the road? Tho I imagine it'd be a weak defence to claim ignorance.

Spunk is a bit of an exception to the more common live recording boot, especially when it came out before Bollocks. So even if it wasn't Virgin-authorized recordings, there was a legit claim that this was something that would compete with Virgin's investment. I get hiding that, however fig-leafy it actually was done.
Pressing plants would do large runs of albums and all would have serial numbers etc so making a bootleg of a few hundred copies wouldn't be worth the risk. But yes certain employees would sneak them out on the end of other runs.

Spunk didn't affect Virgin's investment in the least. It was Branson's cousin who was behind the boot at Branson's behest. Branson was sick and tired of Mclaren constantly changing the track listing for the forth coming Bollocks album and delaying release. So to get his own back he arranged the release of the Spunk sessions. He also pissed McLaren off by getting Barclay in France to release the Bollocks album before the UK edition. No financial damage to Virgin occurred because Branson knew it was the most awaited album of the times. It went straight to number one on advanced orders alone.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia