The Kaleb Horton Deceased Latvian Foreign Minister Thread, 2023 Edition

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Kaleb Horton Deceased Latvian Foreign Minister Thread, 2023 Edition

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 2:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 2:25pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 2:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Dec 2023, 12:56pm
revbob wrote:
19 Dec 2023, 12:47pm

Funny, I cant think of any NYC DJ's of any level of popularity when I was growing up
The only notable DJ in Canada that I can think of was David Wisdom, who had shows on CBC late Friday and (I think) Saturday. He was often described as Canada's John Peel, not for promoting new bands so much as his very eclectic tastes. Once I got into underground music and alternative pop and all that, his show was non-stop revelations for me.
Only Buffalo-area DJ I can recall by name is Danny Neaverth. As a kid, 8-10 years old, I used to listen to his morning show all the time on WKBW (1520AM, Top 40/oldies).

Danny moves your fanny in the morning!
All the Limeys can guffaw at that mental image.
This is from his wikipedia page:

Neaverth, on behalf of WKBW, was offered the chance to bring The Beatles to Buffalo Memorial Auditorium on February 10, 1964, the day after the band had appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show. It would have been the Beatles' first concert in North America. Neaverth, not willing to risk the $3500 appearance fee for a Monday night concert in the poor February weather for an unproven band he did not expect to sell out the auditorium declined the offer. It was not until after Beatlemania swept the nation that Neaverth acknowledged that his move was a mistake as the city would never again have the opportunity to bring the Beatles to Buffalo and it would be over five decades before the Beatles' Paul McCartney would perform in the city.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Neaverth

What a huge mistake, not bringing the Beatles to Buffalo. Might have changed the fortunes of this city somewhat. The Beatles? Who the fuck are they? Fuck you, Danny Neaverth.

Generally, the best shit I heard on the radio in the 80s/early 90s was alternative FM stuff from Toronto, 50 miles away.
Ha! That's perfect.

Apparently Danny's 85 years old, retired but still kicking. The Scott Norwood of Buffalo radio.
Ouch!
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Tom Smothers getting in just under the wire.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

RIP, Tom Smothers. The SMothers Brothers tv show was really good - they were a funny act.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I had no idea he was still alive. Very funny guy and a reminder that, don't worry, conservatives have long embraced cancel culture (you just have to call it patriotism, concerned citizens, and/or community values).
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

WestwayKid wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 12:43pm
Tom Smothers getting in just under the wire.
Remember the Smothers brothers from when I was kid.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 1:13pm
I had no idea he was still alive. Very funny guy and a reminder that, don't worry, conservatives have long embraced cancel culture (you just have to call it patriotism, concerned citizens, and/or community values).
Yeah I can remember watching something and there was a clip with the Smothers Bros and they were referred to as communists by my friend's uncle.

Also cancel culture is just like political correctness. It only became a problem when people were being called out fo being racist and such

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

This was great:

I remember talking with other kids at school after this show. I thought it was great, others not so much.
Last edited by gkbill on 27 Dec 2023, 1:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 1:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 1:13pm
Yeah I can remember watching something and there was a clip with the Smothers Bros and they were referred to as communists by my friend's uncle.

Also cancel culture is just like political correctness. It only became a problem when people were being called out fo being racist and such
Exactly. Cancel culture and political correctness is problematic when you're used to being the one wielding the club. And that's the essence of the outrage—how *dare* all these lessers tell me to shut up or demand consequences for my behaviour? It's always been about status and who gets to talk and to act … but especially who doesn't.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 1:53pm
Hello,

This was great:

I remember talking with other kids at school after this show. I thought it was great, others not so much.
Yeah that's great. Pete "London, England" and Keith "My friends call me Keith but you can call me John". Priceless.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
Hello,

This was great:

Ha, this is exactly what I was referring to. Not sure how it was on TB at the time as SB show had been off the air forever

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kind of a big deal for us in Wisconsin, but former United States Senator (he was on the good side), former Milwaukee Bucks owner and scion of a department store dynasty Herb Kohl passed away today.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

revbob wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 2:46pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

This was great:

Ha, this is exactly what I was referring to. Not sure how it was on TB at the time as SB show had been off the air forever
Hello,

TB? SB?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

gkbill wrote:
28 Dec 2023, 2:29am
revbob wrote:
27 Dec 2023, 2:46pm
gkbill wrote:
Hello,

This was great:

Hello,

TB? SB?
TB should be TV.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Bob Farrington — better known as Skummy Man

https://www.bangordailynews.com/2023/12 ... 6hjn1me0n/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Shecky Greene leaves us at the end of the year.