Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Board-related issues and help forum. Announcements, too!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Rodney Dangerfield in Back to School

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 May 2021, 7:40pm
She knows some people at one school but mostly no. My wife knows someone at another school but that school has different requirements.
She should pursue some kind of conversation at the places she's applying. It's amazing how much not being just a name and some numbers on a form matters. Not just because it does make you a (semi)known quantity, but so few people do it.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
03 May 2021, 4:57pm
So a question for anyone who has ever applied or better yet been part of the grad school admissions process.

It turns out my kid got busted in her junior year for marijuana possession by campus cops. She got screwed over by being in a car with someone else who was holding and at the hearing the school held everyone in the car guilty.

So it shows up on her school record and she's worried she might have trouble getting into a grad program (physicians assistant). In the explanation box on the application she only had 300 characters to explain and not really enough to give her side of the story.

So what do you post grad people think/know?
If it makes you feel any better, I failed a psychology class my sophomore year in college (dealing with some significant depression - how ironic I failed a psych class) and got into the top masters program for my field.

Granted, this was the 90s and the field was social work. Oh, hey, is she going into social work? If so, that arrest might be seen as a positive!

ETA: Reading is hard. She is going to school to be a physician's assistant. It would really suck if they did hold her accountable, but hopefully she can convey her side enough in those 300 words. Good luck.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

JennyB wrote:
04 May 2021, 10:07am
revbob wrote:
So a question for anyone who has ever applied or better yet been part of the grad school admissions process.

It turns out my kid got busted in her junior year for marijuana possession by campus cops. She got screwed over by being in a car with someone else who was holding and at the hearing the school held everyone in the car guilty.

So it shows up on her school record and she's worried she might have trouble getting into a grad program (physicians assistant). In the explanation box on the application she only had 300 characters to explain and not really enough to give her side of the story.

If it makes you feel any better, I failed a psychology class my sophomore year in college (dealing with some significant depression - how ironic I failed a psych class) and got into the top masters program for my field.

Granted, this was the 90s and the field was social work. Oh, hey, is she going into social work? If so, that arrest might be seen as a positive!

ETA: Reading is hard. She is going to school to be a physician's assistant. It would really suck if they did hold her accountable, but hopefully she can convey her side enough in those 300 words. Good luck.
Hello,

It may sound silly but can she attach a document with more details? If not, I'd suggest following Doc's lead. Try to talk with a person in the department. If nothing else, email has unlimited characters. Speaking would be better in most cases.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
04 May 2021, 12:54pm
JennyB wrote:
04 May 2021, 10:07am
revbob wrote:

Hello,

It may sound silly but can she attach a document with more details? If not, I'd suggest following Doc's lead. Try to talk with a person in the department. If nothing else, email has unlimited characters. Speaking would be better in most cases.
Yeah, if you're allowed to submit a document as a candidate's statement rather than enter it online, I'd include an extra page that explains the position. But if everything is done online, in boxes with character limits, that hinders that option. It was better in the old days, dang nabbit, because we worked with paper and could sneak in our character defences!
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Thanks Doc, Jenny and gkbill. I will pass on the wisdom.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
04 May 2021, 8:04pm
Thanks Doc, Jenny and gkbill. I will pass on the wisdom.
Keeping fingers crossed.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy